Parallel Lines (1)

來源: hammerheadshark 2012-05-05 22:59:35 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5932 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ hammerheadshark ] 在 2012-05-07 18:30:07 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

Xie, my senior high school classmate and soul mate, was indisputably the most beautiful girl in the whole school – at least, in the eyes of boys. Her beautifulness was classic and ravishing, so beautiful that, during all three senior high school years, no boy was confident enough to ask her out for a date. Yet, she hung out with me, both inside and outside school, and contrary to everyone’s impression, we were not lovers.

Xie was very good at playing table tennis and she was selected to play for our school.  I liked to play table tennis too. At beginning, we played with a group of enthusiasts twice a week.  Gradually, for various reasons, all other members had left the group, and only Xie and I still played regularly. We thus became close friends, so close that we were seen together on all occasions. Other students started keeping a distance from us, all thinking we were a couple.  We did not bother to explain, because we knew the more we tried to explain, the more convinced they would become that we were in love. I remembered the first game we played with a dozen of players, in which we barely talked – she was the center of attention and I did not have a chance.  Now, about six months later, only she and I played table tennis, primarily talking while absent-mindedly playing, to be exact. Sometimes, I was confused too. Are we in love?

But, we were both obsessed with someone else. I was attracted to another girl in my class; Xie a university sophomore I had never met before.

The most embarrassing thing to me was that my mother started to treat Xie as her prospective daughter-in-law, and that the hospitality associated with that wish was so ostentatious that I was afraid, it would only push her away from me. Usually, half hour before her arrival, my mother would sit on the balcony like a sentinel, anxiously peeping out through safety railings to see if she was coming; one hour before her arrival, my mother would meticulously prepare the snacks: a plateful of salted sunflower seeds, a bowlful of peanuts, a small pile of candy and a pyramid of apples with top one’s peel neatly removed; one day before her arrival, my mother would start planning for the next day’s special meal.  I knew Xie was my mother’s dream daughter-in-law, but there was no sign that we were moving towards that direction and my mother’s insatiable curiosity about her had worn me down.

“Is she a good student?” My mother asked tentatively, at the same time, feigning nonchalance.

“Yes,” my answer was always as short and noncommittal as possible to avoid further questioning.

My mother pressed on, “What does her father do for a living?”

“Some kind of engineer.  Mom, why do you care about her? Let me make one thing clear – we are not in love. We only play table tennis and help each other out with studies.” I was hoping the conversation would end with this declaration.

“I am only asking. What is wrong with inquiring about your friends? Why are you so testy?”

“Just stop asking about her. OK?”

“Ok, ok.” My mother left – only for five minutes. Then she came back, pretending to fetch something she had forgotten, and throw me a question on her way out, “what did you say the other day about her mother? What does she do for a living?”

“Some kind of engineer.” I was really tired of this interrogation.

“Does she have any brothers or sisters?”  My mother leaned on the door, showing no intention of leaving my room any time soon.

“Mom!”

所有跟帖: 

lol your mom is so cute! -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 02:59:01

Thank you and a try for the poem you posted. -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (2522 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 07:17:45

鯊魚你真有柴,等我慢慢查字典學你的翻譯 -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 09:05:09

visitor 是來訪者,這裏好像是路人吧?不是很確定。作者好像是在回家路上碰見來人。 -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 14:51:48

Shark, is this one open for discussion? -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 13:21:36

Yes,anything is for discussion. -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 13:31:23

ok, here we go: -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (4008 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 13:45:18

Excellent points. Here is what I think. -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (7898 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 14:51:31

Agree. -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (167 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 15:26:29

Like to do something vs. like do something -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (1517 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 17:51:30

sorry, two typos. -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (550 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 18:38:46

Shark,你客氣了,那我就不客氣了哈 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (1781 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 22:34:10

About event sequence -Hammerheadshark- 給 Hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (1198 bytes) () 05/07/2012 postreply 04:18:42

yeah, Italics will work. -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (464 bytes) () 05/07/2012 postreply 06:50:03

A helpful video. -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (112 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 20:32:25

恩,這個問題狗了一下,眾說紛紜 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (1019 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 22:37:52

校長下午好! 您真是是名不虛傳的大柴女!我今天晚上要好好讀書。 -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 15:02:32

哈哈,老女不柴 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (92 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 15:28:07

灰常精彩!我回頭再細讀您們 -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/06/2012 postreply 14:53:32

很不錯。stay tuned。 -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/07/2012 postreply 12:45:20

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”