Years ago, when I went back to China using Northwest (later Delta) Airline's miles, I had to take 3 flights each way, and I thought that wasn't too bad. Not this time. After my second flight which was a 13-hour flight from Minneapolis to Tokyo, I had enough of sitting in the cramped airplane seat and eating the terrible airplane food, but there was still an 8-hour flight from Tokyo to Singapore waiting for me. I almost had a breakdown, wondering why I did this to myself, flying so far alone to Singapore, is it worth it? Of course, once I landed in Singapore, I had no doubt that the trip is so worth it.
Since I was traveling alone, I decided to try hostel in Singapore again. I had stayed in hostel in Shanghai before. But I got a private room with bathroom last time. This time I stayed in a 7 to 10-pods Ladies Dormitory. It was nice. There was free Wi-Fi. The room was air-conditioned, and had sound-resistant walls between pod beds.
1. Wink Hostel located in Chinatown. It was easy to find, 3 minutes walk to Chinatown MRT, and tons of eating choices around. Highly recommend.
2. My pod bed. Each bed had 2 lights and a power outlet by the headboard, and a giant locker below. If there was anything to improve, I wish they had a curtain for each bed for privacy.
3. Some building near the hostel.
The Hostel provided free breakfast, but it was really simple, white bread, peanut butter and jelly, cereal, juice, milk, and banana etc. So I went out to eat every morning.
4. Breakfast at Chinatown MRT hawker center: fresh mango juice (3 SGD), delicious noodle with roast duck (3.8 SGD) and free soup.
5. After breakfast, I walked to the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple and Museum (free). It was huge, 4 stories plus roof top garden.
6. Later, I went to the Sri Mariamman Temple nearby (free, but I had to pay 3 SGD for a camera ticket), the oldest Hindu temple in Singapore.
7. Inside the Sri Mariamman Temple.
8. Inside the Sri Mariamman Temple.
9. Ceiling paintings in the Sri Mariamman Temple.
10. Ceiling paintings in the Sri Mariamman Temple.
11. Ceiling paintings in the Sri Mariamman Temple.
12. Lunch at Din Tai Fung Suntec City Mall with my friend.
13. Marina Bay Sands Hotel and Merlion.
14. Singapore National Theatre, known to locals as "the durians", the fruit with a distinctive odor that people either love it or hate it.
Singapore is famous for its bird park and zoo. I visited both of them. They were really nice, especially the "High Flyers Show" at the Jurong Bird Park, the best show I have watched on this trip.
15. Flowers by Jurong Bird Park entrance.
16. Flowers by Jurong Bird Park entrance.
17. Flowers by Jurong Bird Park entrance.
18. Jurong Bird Park.
19. A volunteer with 2 toucans on her arms at the "High Flyers Show" at the Jurong Bird Park.
20. Direction post inside Jurong Bird Park.
21. Play area for the kids inside Jurong Bird Park.
22. Victoria Crowned Pigeon inside Jurong Bird Park.
23. Birds waiting to be fed at Lory Loft, inside Jurong Bird Park.
(To be continued)