Richard Hamming was such a nice guy!

來源: 北京二號 2011-03-05 11:28:29 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (4051 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 北京二號 ] 在 2011-03-07 10:29:03 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.
回答: You and your researchselfselfself2011-03-04 21:07:48

I believe these are all the deepest thoughts and the most valuable experiences of his. And he is so true to his heart. Hat off to Hamming!

Basically, these principles may also apply to any fields even beyond research. And from my own shallow live experience, I believe anyone with a decent IQ and enough education could become a first class scientist, if s/he applies these rules throughout her/his life.

The thing is that not all the intelligently qualified people have the same priority, or in Hamming's term, "drive". In the mean time, do we really need that many first class researchers and that much first class work? Human beings are trivial, comparing to nature. Nature knows what is good for us, and it has its own way to balance.

Among Hamming's points, I especially like the "open door" and "make use of the system" theories. Keeping one's door open is important in helping him get the full picture of his research (or maybe even a much wider) world. This is the most needed to improve in my own case, because I can't really focus and do anything if I don't get the door closed and the most lacked in me is a whole and complete picture in my mind. And I am now thinking that I probably should close my door for 1/3 ~ 1/2 of the time, which is about enough to do something meaningful, and leave it open for the rest of the time. If we agree "keeping our doors open" is important, "making use of the system" would be the key to a capable and ambitious person's success. 

"Making use of the system" is so critical to anything in anywhere where there are two or more people and they need to cooperate, such as: business partners, business and the society, supervisors and suborninates, couples in marriage or a relationship, etc. We have to "fight", yet as importantly, we'd learn to make the best out of it (as it is). Balance, balance is the key.

As for correcting English accent, I think it is different case by case. Many facts should be taken into consideration when we make a decision on whether it's worth it to devote ourselves into it (say for some length of time span). If one's profession requires more on oral communication; or if the person is like me, who is somewhat perfectionistic, and without an acceptable accent she wouldn't be able to move forward in learning to express herself, then there is no better choice but to spend the time, put in the efforts, and go for it. In my own case, accent is definitely not my life priority. It is only a huge obstacle which I wasn't able to find a walk around. And hence breaking it became the only feasible option. For other people who don't have such psychological defect, I don't think it is worth it to put so much time and efforts into correcting it.

Before I finish, here is a short story to share with you. The other day, my hu*****and brought a young fellow to our house. This young man was mentored upon his graduation by my hu*****and. And before the guest came, my hu*****and told me how sound and complete this person is, in a tone and wording I've never heard he says about any other people. And then I asked: that sounds pretty much like me, right? Haha, you can imagine, the answer, of course was a big N-O! Here is the answer I got from my hubby: "You do share some very important qualities with him. You both have high IQ, EQ, good peronality and background. But the difference is even bigger: he is focused and ambitious, while you the complete opposite!" What I wanted to say is that it is not our IQ or EQ that make the difference, but rather if we really have the "drive". (Of course I have my own drive. And I too am doing decently fine with things I care about.)

"Where there is a will, there is a way."

I deeply appreciate this long speech you shared. I'll continue to finish the Q&A portion as soon as I get time to. Thank you very much for sharing it.

Have a nice weekend!

所有跟帖: 

Very good reflection -selfselfself- 給 selfselfself 發送悄悄話 selfselfself 的博客首頁 (341 bytes) () 03/05/2011 postreply 11:57:40

I expected you'd come up with such a question. -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (1439 bytes) () 03/05/2011 postreply 12:35:57

Learned, thanks -selfselfself- 給 selfselfself 發送悄悄話 selfselfself 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/05/2011 postreply 17:05:58

回複:Learned, thanks -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (1297 bytes) () 03/05/2011 postreply 20:05:33

Thanks again for your insight -selfselfself- 給 selfselfself 發送悄悄話 selfselfself 的博客首頁 (328 bytes) () 03/05/2011 postreply 21:08:14

LOL -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/05/2011 postreply 21:14:05

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”