Now, I am really pissed.

來源: hammerheadshark 2012-09-25 00:01:42 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (9128 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ hammerheadshark ] 在 2012-09-25 17:34:49 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

Wenqing, I give it a lot of thought if I should pursue this argument further, as it is not that important to me. But I am really pissed at your native speaker, not you, for giving you such lousy consultancy.

Let’s fix his English grammar and understanding and give him a bit of "accent".

Question 1.  Understandably vs. Understandingly

·        “So, I smiled understandably and remained silent. It means “I” was an ignorant social awkward, and it is quite understandable that "I" only smiled and did not say anything, because I did not have a clue.

·        So, I smiled understandingly and remained silent.” It means “I” was an ignorant social awkward, and that was why “I” only smiled to show that "I" understood what he said. (Grammatically acceptable, but he had no clue!)

·        I told you that both were fine.  But you seemed to believe that “understandingly” was more grammatically correct.  How is your choice more “accent”-free?  

Question 2.  Let’s get over this “the” thing once for all.

When editing someone’s work, you don’t touch things in the quotation marks.  But that is not my point here.  You did not give me your reasons, now, I will give you mine and I would like to hear comments from your “native speaker”. First, let’s go back to “the” basics.

·        With “the” option.  “Excuse me, but, is this the dentist’s office?”  It means the man was asking if he was in HIS dentist’s office, not in some other dentist’s office.  Grammatically correct, but the addition of “the” was meaningless.  Why would the man care about if he was in the right dentist’ office?  Aren’t you twisting my story to your understanding? How does that remove my “accent”?

·        With “a” option. “Excuse me, but, is this a dentist’s office?”  It means the man was asking if he was in a dentist’s office or a madhouse.  Grammatically correct, and I think “a” is a much more logical option than “the”. 

·        Without articles. “Excuse me, but, is this dentist’s office?”  It means the man did not care if the office in which he was staying was a specific one, because it is not relevant and important in the context.  He was in a panic and would bolt at slightest confirmation that he was at a wrong place.

·        Why is “the” option “accent”-free? Isn't it a writer's choice?

Question 3. What is considered a good writing?  We leave it. You keep your "the" and I will keep my GRE words.

所有跟帖: 

就事論事Understandably vs. Understandingly - 這個問題同意文青的觀點 -niteBynite- 給 niteBynite 發送悄悄話 (1451 bytes) () 09/25/2012 postreply 04:57:52

回複:就事論事Understandably vs. Understandingly - 這個問題同意文青的觀點 -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (977 bytes) () 09/25/2012 postreply 05:09:09

語言是約定俗成的。英文知今保留著慣詞。漢語沒有。 -onceuponatime- 給 onceuponatime 發送悄悄話 (187 bytes) () 09/25/2012 postreply 07:42:50

Just for the sake of discussion: -NewVoice- 給 NewVoice 發送悄悄話 NewVoice 的博客首頁 (1900 bytes) () 09/25/2012 postreply 08:20:22

This is what I think -聚曦亭- 給 聚曦亭 發送悄悄話 (680 bytes) () 09/25/2012 postreply 09:07:18

各打50大板! -askerfor- 給 askerfor 發送悄悄話 (2450 bytes) () 09/25/2012 postreply 16:50:28

寫得不錯!the joke's funniness不隻是局限在這三點。還有the Hilary part, horizonta -tern2- 給 tern2 發送悄悄話 tern2 的博客首頁 (312 bytes) () 09/25/2012 postreply 21:00:57

回複:寫得不錯!the joke's funniness不隻是局限在這三點。還有the Hilary part, horizo -askerfor- 給 askerfor 發送悄悄話 (143 bytes) () 09/26/2012 postreply 08:35:57

you are great~~~. I agree with you, indeed. -tern2- 給 tern2 發送悄悄話 tern2 的博客首頁 (131 bytes) () 09/26/2012 postreply 11:18:11

回複:you are great~~~. I agree with you, indeed. -askerfor- 給 askerfor 發送悄悄話 (52 bytes) () 09/26/2012 postreply 13:57:15

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”