I see difficulties in your explanation

來源: 馬下人 2015-03-13 14:19:48 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2619 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 馬下人 ] 在 2015-03-13 14:20:44 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.
回答: your revised comprehension聚曦亭2015-03-13 12:09:58
I see difficulties in your explanation:

1. The meaning of 'freckle' is VERY narrow. It simply means the color deposition in small spot in the skin. I initially (after seeing a drawing by using dots to make a face barely standing out of the background) used '若隱若現' but I think that I use too much imagination here and I am going to change that interpretation. With its strict meaning we will run into a logically difficult situation--how fickle things necessarily become freckled(斑點, 色斑)?

2. If your explanation is right the next word 'with' is out of place. How the properties or attributes after 'with' fit in your explanation? Are they only pertain to the thing that is 'freckled'?

Before I write this comment I googled 'Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)'. The second and third hit seem to support what I mentioned about the sentence structure. I think the poet used nouns and noun phrases in his poem. 'Whatever is fickle, freckled' is a noun phrase, or two noun phrases if we like to say this way.

Below are the quotes from my googling:

"suggest that diversity among humans is just as beautiful as it is in nature and is created alike by God, and should, therefore be respected and appreciated. Interestingly, Hopkins applies some adjectives that were used about his poetry: "original, spare, strange." These oddities, along with his turning of "fickle" and "freckled" which normally suggest a negative judgment to a positive connotation, are used, instead, as evidence of the infinitude of God's creation."

--http://www.enotes.com/homework-help/what-gerard-manley-hopkins-praising-why-he-329360

'Line 8

Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)

?This line gives two more adjectives to add to our main adjective, "dapple."
?Surprise, surprise, they begin with the same letter: "fickle" means something that changes a lot, and "freckled" returns to the topic of spots or dots.
?In other contexts, "fickle" can be a negative quality in a person who changes his or her mind too often, but in nature, fickleness brings about new things at which we can marvel.
?In parentheses, the speaker voices his private wonder at how all these things acquired their "pied beauty."'

--http://www.shmoop.com/pied-beauty/stanza-2-summary.html

所有跟帖: 

我的理解 -聚曦亭- 給 聚曦亭 發送悄悄話 (1021 bytes) () 03/13/2015 postreply 15:13:40

我也認為counter作為動詞理解比較好,盡管 -rancho2008- 給 rancho2008 發送悄悄話 (600 bytes) () 03/13/2015 postreply 16:34:03

馬先生把它當主語理解是對的 -聚曦亭- 給 聚曦亭 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 03/13/2015 postreply 17:05:51

馬先生把它當noun phrase, 名詞短語,那就沒有主語了。 -rancho2008- 給 rancho2008 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 03/13/2015 postreply 20:23:49

謝謝指出!有點忙。有點跟丟了的感覺。 -聚曦亭- 給 聚曦亭 發送悄悄話 (6 bytes) () 03/13/2015 postreply 20:24:51

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”