One fun idea: Food in America

來源: lessisnotmore 2010-02-23 16:40:10 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (1758 bytes)
Like most Asians, I am obsessed with food. It’s such a big part of our culture. My parents would continue to shovel food on our plates no matter how full we were. During holidays, they would drag us from banquet to banquet to stuff ourselves in the company of aunts and uncles, grandparents and friends. And there were never any shortcuts in preparing a meal. Everything had to be properly prepared and presented or else the host would lose face. But don’t misunderstand, I get still get excited about steamed flounder, salty chicken, shrimp dumplings, scrumptious dim sum, and on and on.

Contrast this with many American families. Meals are often a just a quick bite between the numerous activities in busy lives. Fast food, pizza, packaged food cooked in the microwave. Sad to say, I’ve learned many of these bad habits, and if my parents knew, they would be horrified. But if you are part of the busy American lifestyle, you don’t always have time for a banquet.

I still can’t appreciate some of the food that is so popular. Bagels for example. To me they taste just like cardboard. And while I do like a good burger, before eating one at McDonalds, I’d eat the sole of my shoe. And don’t even talk about the way most Americans boil their vegetables until they are beyond recognition.

But I have grown fond of a lot of American food. Pizza is my big weakness. And there’s nothing better than steak, chicken or salmon barbequed on the outdoor grill. Mashed potatoes, lasagna, tuna casserole, grilled veggies, chocolate ice cream, apple pie, and the list goes on and on. It may not be at the center social life here, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t some damn good American food. Give it a fair chance.

所有跟帖: 

nice essay. if I use this one, I have to cite it. -小謀- 給 小謀 發送悄悄話 小謀 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 02/23/2010 postreply 21:31:34

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”