Animal group names that drive me nuts

來源: 移花接木 2023-09-25 09:04:15 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (1556 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 移花接木 ] 在 2023-09-25 10:32:09 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

There are various words for social animal groups that really drove me nuts.  

A herd of , commonly applies to herbivore groups, such as antelepope, wilderbeast, elephant, zebra, buffalo, etc. a herd of humans also holds. But not necessarily unique, e.g. elephant groups can also be parade,etc.etc. 

The carnivore groups were usually assigned with distinctive words by some herds of humans.

Here I listed a few, there are a lot more 

• A lion pride: Lions are the only social big cats, live in family units called prides.
  • A Cheetahs coalition: Cheetahs are usually solitary cat, but a few males of direct kinship can form a team called coalition for hunting and defending advantages.
  • so as male lions, the grown up male cubs will be expiled by their father to form their own prides, a few brothers can form a coalition, with the number advantages they are at upper hand to challenge a single lion king.   
  •  A school of fish?????? what's the sense of school in here?
  • A pod of dolphins or orcas, these marine mammals form a pod , instead of a school of sth.
  • A pack of wolf, wilddog,
  • but coyotes, even analogous to wolf or dog, live in a band
  • Ants are awesome, an army of ants
  • Baboon, a troop!! they must be commandos

Welcome to add more into this list.

所有跟帖: 

a litter of cats, a swarm of bees,a hive of bees -暖冬cool夏- 給 暖冬cool夏 發送悄悄話 暖冬cool夏 的博客首頁 (231 bytes) () 09/25/2023 postreply 09:58:42

2 fun collective nouns:a covert of coots & a murder of crows -7grizzly- 給 7grizzly 發送悄悄話 7grizzly 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/25/2023 postreply 10:40:51

不查不知道,真是有不少! -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/25/2023 postreply 12:00:07

You drove me nuts:)) -衛寧- 給 衛寧 發送悄悄話 衛寧 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/25/2023 postreply 11:18:02

Why? 哈哈。難道不是非常有趣的營養帖嗎?我咋覺得從文中學到了很多新知識呢。 -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/25/2023 postreply 13:33:55

感覺營養開始過剩了, 狗熊開始掰棒子 :-) -7grizzly- 給 7grizzly 發送悄悄話 7grizzly 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/25/2023 postreply 14:26:35

哈哈 -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/25/2023 postreply 17:12:10

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”