Music’s Fiercest Feuds and Beefs (I)

來源: 移花接木 2022-12-19 15:18:42 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5386 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 移花接木 ] 在 2022-12-19 20:09:09 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

From classic-rock squabbles to hip-hop diss tracks and social media wars, here are the ridiculous, rancorous conflicts that have held us rapt.

Rolling Stone     Jordan Runtagh

Creative differences, financial disputes, drug abuse, love triangles – in the music industry, the opportunities to butt heads are basically limitless. The bigger the star, the bigger the ego, and when two tangle, you get a supernova of spite and bile that holds the world in rapture, turning mature adults into spit-flecked children chanting “Fight, fight, fight!” in a circle at recess.

Many clashes are over in a flash, while others drag out for years and even decades. Some feuds are undoubtedly hilarious, birthing otherworldly insults like Liam Gallagher’s “Potato” and Mariah Carey’s beyond catty “I don’t know her,” both of which will live on until the end of the Internet. Others are tragic and have no possible upside as friendships, bands, families and even lives are destroyed in the process. Others still have inspired an entire sub-category of song that crosses all genre boundaries: the diss track. (See: “Bad Blood,” “Swish Swish,” about 25 percent of all rap songs.)

Pick a side, or simply spectate. No judgment.

John Lennon vs. Paul McCartney

Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney and John Lennon and Beatles; L-R. Yoko Ono, John Lennon, Paul McCartney in the audience at the London Pavillion for premiere of ‘Yellow Submarine.’ Photo by Cummings Archives / Redferns.

The generation-defining duo kept their squabbles behind closed doors during the Beatles’ death throes in the late Sixties, but as McCartney made a move to legally dissolve the band’s partnership in December 1970, Lennon took the spat public in the pages of Rolling Stone. The conversation with magazine founder Jann Wenner touched on McCartney’s supposedly overbearing nature in the studio (“I pretty damn well know we got fed up of being sidemen for Paul,” he seethed), McCartney’s poor leadership following the death of the band’s manager Brian Epstein, and the other Beatles’ reaction to Lennon’s new relationship with Yoko Ono. “Ringo was all right, but the other two really gave it to us. I’ll never forgive them.”

McCartney’s public response was more measured. On 1971’s Ram, he included a subtle jab at Lennon on the opening track, “Too Many People,” mocking the former Teddy Boy rebel’s sudden fervor for world-peace crusades with the line “Too many people preaching practices.” Elsewhere in the song he sings, “You took your lucky break and broke it in two,” which McCartney later admitted was also directed at his former bandmate.

The line went over most people’s heads, but Lennon got the reference – and fired back with one obvious enough for everyone. Included on 1971’s Imagine is “How Do You Sleep?,” a diss track so positively nasty that it borders on obscene. In footage taken at the session, Lennon, Ono and guest guitarist George Harrison can be seen laughing as they swap lines like “The sound you make is Muzak to my ears/You must have learned something in all those years,” and a dig at his most famous song: “The only thing you done was ‘Yesterday.'”

McCartney was reluctant to punch back. His major public response was the devastating “Dear Friend” from 1971’s Wild Life, in which he mournfully wonders whether this was “really the borderline” of their relationship. The delicate lament was an olive branch, though it would take some time to be accepted as such. Friendly calls from McCartney were met with Lennon’s suspicious “Yeah, yeah, whatdaya want.” His new American twang particularly grated McCartney, who once shot back, ‘Fu**ck off, Kojak!”

Relations had improved enough by the mid Seventies for McCartney to occasionally drop by Lennon’s Upper West Side apartment at the Dakota building when business brought him to New York City. Together the old friends would reminisce and exchange thoughts on baking bread or their young children. Any hopes of a permanent reconciliation were ended by an assassin’s bullet on December 8th, 1980.

所有跟帖: 

Thanks for trying to untangle these celebrities' mess... -renqiulan- 給 renqiulan 發送悄悄話 (289 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 17:29:45

dont blame u, only true language masters do -移花接木- 給 移花接木 發送悄悄話 移花接木 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 19:39:35

this kinda writing. author Jordan Runtagh from rolling stone -移花接木- 給 移花接木 發送悄悄話 移花接木 的博客首頁 (164 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 19:42:57

I strived with help of urban dictionary, search background -移花接木- 給 移花接木 發送悄悄話 移花接木 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 19:47:43

Just added the author info -移花接木- 給 移花接木 發送悄悄話 移花接木 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 20:09:40

I took no pleasure in posting my comments. Have a good one! -renqiulan- 給 renqiulan 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 12/20/2022 postreply 12:30:00

原來Beatles成員內部曾有這麽大的過節啊。學習了好多生詞,很多“怨恨”的不同的表達方法 -妖妖靈- 給 妖妖靈 發送悄悄話 妖妖靈 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 19:32:37

more 2 come, 同事教我查slang用urban dictionary. -移花接木- 給 移花接木 發送悄悄話 移花接木 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 19:49:12

Iphone/ipad has the feature:click on the word, then choose -妖妖靈- 給 妖妖靈 發送悄悄話 妖妖靈 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 19:52:28

“look up”,it will show the meaning. Saving a lot of time -妖妖靈- 給 妖妖靈 發送悄悄話 妖妖靈 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 19:53:31

要不說不能得罪文人, 把人寫進書裏遺臭萬年, 列儂,麥卡尼這哥倆寫歌互懟啊 -移花接木- 給 移花接木 發送悄悄話 移花接木 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 19:55:20

一山不容二虎嗎?:) -妖妖靈- 給 妖妖靈 發送悄悄話 妖妖靈 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 19:57:12

第一句話概括了:理念不同,財務糾紛,吸毒,三角戀愛, 在音樂界butthead的可能是limitless -移花接木- 給 移花接木 發送悄悄話 移花接木 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/19/2022 postreply 20:06:11

提醒我了,學了beefs:第一次知道它的slang的意思是 “有過節”的意思: -妖妖靈- 給 妖妖靈 發送悄悄話 妖妖靈 的博客首頁 (2644 bytes) () 12/20/2022 postreply 20:29:17

哈哈,funny。有才的人寫歌來吵架。thanks。 -天邊一片白雲- 給 天邊一片白雲 發送悄悄話 天邊一片白雲 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 17:04:22

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”