【MYSJ COSPLAY】跟著 T 和 P 學 “Pull”

來源: ibelieu 2021-08-14 14:08:27 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (9101 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ ibelieu ] 在 2021-08-15 08:04:16 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

My thanks to 花帥。  I got the idea for this piece from this week's "一句話翻譯“。  

The conversation below is fictional.  Its only purpose is to string together a few usages of the word “pull”in the hope that learning them would be fun.  Test yourself by reading it.  Maybe, just maybe, you'll manage to pick up a new usage or two along the way.  If you find you already know all of them, well, hopefully the reading itself proves to be a bit fun.

It was a lot of fun writing it.  I had planned a longer piece.  But somethings fell through.  For one thing, I had always thought Giuliani bore a bit of resemblance to Dante and thought I could somehow include the stolen death masks of Dante in the narrative.  I dropped that idea when I found out the death masks are fake.  I was also "disappointed" when I read that T did not really wear his pants backward.  :)  I had also thought I could weave some 美語世界 denizens into the story but, alas, there weren't enough "pull" idioms to dispense with once the conversation veered off from the election.  Oh, well, next time.  Have a blast.

T:      What do you mean I've lost?  The campaign is over?  You are pulling my leg, aren't you?

P:      No Sir, not your leg, they've pulled the plug on your campaign.

T:      Oh, I hate this.  Why pull the plug?  There are so many other things they could have pulled. 

P:      Like what?

T:      Well, like pulling someone's chain.

P:      I see.  Were you pulling his chain when you told Giuliani you'd pay him his fees?

T:      Of course!  He looked like he was sweating hair dye in that courtroom and made all of us look bad.  How can a lawyer pull a stunt like that and expect to pull down any money? 

P:      Given how things were going, I never expected him to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

T:      Well, I thought he could at least pull some strings with those judges I appointed.  But he couldn't pull off even just one win. 

P:      You have a point.  The thing is, we tried our best.  I pulled my weight anyway.

T:      Aw, I hope you didn't pull a muscle while doing it.  You pulling your weight!  If you had come up with something like “I know Jack Kennedy and you are no Jack Kennedy” during your debate, we'd have pulled away for victory.

P:      With due respect, Sir, but if you had pulled those facemask haters down a notch or two, we'd sure have won.

T:      Oh, no, that won't do.  They are my power base.  Untouchable.  Without them, we'd have to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.  Impossible in politics.  I have to give a press conference now.  You wait here.

P:      Yes, Sir.  Give it to them.  Don't pull your punches.

……

T:      Whew, it's done.  Last one before my 2024 reelection.  Something fishy though.  Some of them kept snickering, and the one from Fox News looked like he was in pain, like he was trying to pull his own teeth or something. 

P:      Eh, Sir.  I'm not trying to pull your leg or anything, but from where I stand, it looks like you are wearing your pants backward. 

T:      No way!  Let's see.  No, they are not backward.  Ridiculous!  If I had pulled up my pants the wrong way, who do you think pulled up my zipper?

P:      Oh, this is bad, very bad.  They pull everything to pieces.  They are going to make hay out of this.  These people can pull anything out of thin air.  I think we need to give the reporters a formal clarification; tell them you pulled up your pants the right way; tell them you did your own zipper. 

T:      Do you hear yourself?  A formal clarification on how the president pulls up his pants!  I'd really be the laughingstock.

P:      What shall we do then.  This is a bad omen.  How are we going to pull through this one?  This can doom our chances for 2024!

T:      Oh, pull yourself together.  Stop pulling your hair out, will you!  We are not done yet.  We are going to run in 2024.  This time, we'll pull out all the stops.  We are not going to pull our punches.  We'll do whatever it takes.  We'll pull a hoax on them.  We'll pull the wool over their eyes.

P:      You won't ask me to do it, though; pulling a hoax on people?

T:      Please, don't pull a long face.  You won't be the one; you can't pull it off anyway.  We are going to hire Giuliani.  He's capable of pulling a fast one; he'll do whatever it takes, trust me. 

P:      So you are going to ask Giuliani to pull the chestnuts out of the fire for you.  Are you going to pay him this time?

T:      Oh, yes, he'll get paid if he pulls his weight. 

P:      You think MM is going to help pull us through?  We don't have a lot of pull with him now.

T:      We had to pull teeth to secure his loyalty, and he pulled a disappearing act at the end.  If we can't pull him off the fence to help us, I'm going to pull the carpet from under his feet; I'm going to tell my folks in the Senate to vote him out.

P:      Are you going to pull your entire family into this 2024 effort?

T:      Of course.  We are all going to pull in the same direction, and we are going to win.  I'm going to pull in my daughter, my son-in-law, my sons, my wife …  Would you quit pulling my coattails? I'm on a roll here.

P:      Yes, Sir, but the moving company's truck has just pulled in. 

T:      Why are they here?  Go tell them to get lost.  You can pull rank on them.

P:      Yes, Sir, but they are here to move you out of the White House.  They are here to pull the plug on your administration, if you will.

T:      Oh, I see, time to pull up stakes.  Well, guess what.  I've thought of something I can do till 2024.  I'm going over to 美語世界 to preside over their One-Sentence-Per-Week Translation Program.

P:      Yes, Sir.  Just a test on the usage of “pull” in idioms will probably last till 2024.  Very popular, that program.  It's going to help you pull in votes.

T:      Well then, can I still pull rank on you?

P:      Yes, Sir.

T:      Go tell Giuliani, he's fired.

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

太精彩了,滿篇pull, pull sb.'s leg 居然不是拖後腿的意思! -移花接木- 給 移花接木 發送悄悄話 移花接木 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/14/2021 postreply 15:12:38

好玩哈,大家一塊玩兒。 周末愉快! -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/14/2021 postreply 15:17:39

OMG,我信你太牛了,不是一般的牛,我在全片查字典,才看懂了這些滿篇和PULL的Idioms有關的栩栩如生的競選文章!仰望!! -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/14/2021 postreply 16:22:13

美風謬讚,謝啦。周末愉快! -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/14/2021 postreply 16:29:56

伊比的話劇劇本,大讚! -忒忒綠- 給 忒忒綠 發送悄悄話 忒忒綠 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/14/2021 postreply 16:55:00

謝綠綠,周末愉快! -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/14/2021 postreply 17:28:01

I 老師這幽默劇有點卓別林風格,現在基本上好來烏夜秀風格:) -AP33912- 給 AP33912 發送悄悄話 AP33912 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/14/2021 postreply 17:24:00

謝啦,不敢高攀,就一個小小的skit。 周末愉快! -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/14/2021 postreply 17:29:24

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! Love it :) -甜蟲蟲- 給 甜蟲蟲 發送悄悄話 甜蟲蟲 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/14/2021 postreply 21:44:52

Thanks a million! Had a lot of fun doing it. Have a nice -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (19 bytes) () 08/15/2021 postreply 06:01:03

Thank you! You have a great Sunday! -甜蟲蟲- 給 甜蟲蟲 發送悄悄話 甜蟲蟲 的博客首頁 (67 bytes) () 08/15/2021 postreply 10:03:50

挺有趣的腳本,好玩!很幽默! -天山晨- 給 天山晨 發送悄悄話 天山晨 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/15/2021 postreply 07:42:08

謝啦! -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/15/2021 postreply 07:54:32

This push/pull regime is a fact of life, like it or not. -LYJiang- 給 LYJiang 發送悄悄話 LYJiang 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/15/2021 postreply 07:44:16

是,所以中庸永遠(隻)是學問。:) -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/15/2021 postreply 07:56:12

信兄的帖子可以用來作為晨讀資料 -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/16/2021 postreply 12:16:36

Maybe it gives more fun than a dictionary. :) -ibelieu- 給 ibelieu 發送悄悄話 ibelieu 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/16/2021 postreply 14:19:17

恭喜Ibelieu。首頁進來,謝謝網管,COSPLAY活動 跟著 T 和 P 學 “Pull” 推薦成功 -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/16/2021 postreply 19:44:11

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”