very very nice paper, especially the part, like it and have to s

來源: rockcurrent 2011-10-23 11:52:06 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5024 bytes)

Fellow toastmasters, Halloween is approaching.

What’s your biggest fear in your life? Don’t you hate being scared (feeling scared)? To my personal experience (However), last week, I had an enlightening moment being tortured by that feeling (fear). Now I realized that (think) some fears itself is are not to be afraid of (feared), but to be endeared about, as it being a natural (good), healthy, and promoting process (feeling) once (if) you can act upon it. I reached this conclusion based on (from) my experience last week and (also from) my reflection on some of the most common fears that plague, attack, an accompany us most of the time in our life. Let's begin with (me tell you about) my experience (first).

Last week, an announcement that 10% of R&D employees would be laid off  was made after the previous TM meeting. Being working remotely at home, I felt extra vulnerable to the laid-off list. I got a little anxious, or even a little scared. With two young kids to raise and a mortgage to pay, I (we) can’t afford to lose my job and live only on my hu*****and’s salary. After the initial moment of panic, I started to search and look at job listings, (thinking) about my future career. As you may know, I have been considering (thinking about) a job change for a while because I want to do something that involves more interpersonal communications. The idea of a job change had been at the back of my mind, but I took no real actions until last week. The announcement (got my attention) and the fear of losing the job pushed me to look at my career in a bigger frame: in my life and career, what do I want? passionate about? to accomplish? I asked myself, why didn’t I start this earlier? I realized because I was too complacent with the status quo. I was happy that I didn’t need to commute. I could keep my son at home and have a very flexible schedule. I kept on telling myself that I need to wait a little bit longer until my kids are older. Now, my idea about a job change is like a blurred picture that suddenly finds its focus. my idea about a job change is like a blurred picture that is suddenly brought into sharp focus. I know better about what I want. I should thank the experienced fear I felt for pushing me out of my comfort zone--my complacence.

I checked the top 10 fears most commonly seen. Fear of death, fear of failure and fear of public speaking were the most intrigued me as they are more on the psychological side. It hit me that all three fears, when acted upon, would do us more good than harm. The recently deceased Apple founder Steve Jobs once said: "For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: 'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?'" When fear of death was acted upon, it became, for Jobs, not necessarily a fear of death, but more like a consciousness of mortality that inspired him not to “waste [time] living someone else's life, [and not to] be trapped by dogma”.

Fear of death makes people live a more fulfilling, meaningful and creative life. Fear of failures makes us work more diligently and be more prepared, and ultimately, achieve the desired success. Fear of public speaking makes us come here day after day and overcome the obstacles in communication. Let’s respond, confront and embrace the fear in a wise manner. Let's not fear making a public speech, but to make a speech about fear loudly.

所有跟帖: 

謝謝Rock喜歡! -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (1657 bytes) () 10/23/2011 postreply 15:25:39

Good comments -rockcurrent- 給 rockcurrent 發送悄悄話 rockcurrent 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/23/2011 postreply 15:54:38

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”