My Icebreaker at TMI 作者:衝浪潛水員 點評:海外逸士

來源: 美語世界 2011-10-09 06:10:21 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (6242 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 美語世界 ] 在 2011-10-10 05:30:51 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

My Icebreaker at TMI

來源: 衝浪潛水員2011-10-08 06:46:27
http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/yingyumeiwen/119882.html

Hello, everyone! My name is Surfer_Diver.

Although I came from China and now live in America, I do not consider myself a Chinese American. Instead, I think I am an Earthian, the counterpart of the Martian. As you may know, I have travelled a few times to the Philippines. In the foreseeable future, I may need to make some trips to Singapore and Malaysia. With such expanding global footprint, I think it is fitting to think of myself as an Earthian.

In our company, I am part of the R&D team, working on the next generation technology and product. Outside of work, I enjoy a few hobbies. One of them is jokes. I frequent an online Jokes forum, where people share and comment on jokes. There are Chinese ones as well as English ones and I like them both. But the most interesting jokes are actually the bi-lingual ones. Once I read a joke there in Chinese, which roughly said “Marriage is a university, where a man loses his undergraduate degree and a woman gains her graduate degree.” I thought, well, this was not a good joke, because I could not see where the joke was. After a few minutes, I realized that it was a good joke if properly translated back into English: “Marriage is an institution, where a man loses his bachelor’s degree and a woman gains her master’s degree.” I guessed that someone had translated it from English into Chinese, but the joke was lost in the translation. I posted my finding on the forum and my fellow jokers were pleased. By now, you probably have already figured out that I am married. Yes, that is correct.

Another thing I do outside of work is to improve my English language skills. One item is grammar. I noticed that I tend to get nervous over my own mistakes while speaking. For example, I may say “There was two cars on the side of the road.” The “was” and the “two cars” do not agree with each other, but it is too late by the time I realize that. Typically, I would become uncomfortable and nervous, which likely causes even more errors to follow suit. Now, I think a good approach is, first, to minimize such mistakes, and, second, to relax and continue normally if they do occur. Vocabulary is another item I am working on. You are all aware of the vast vocabulary of English, which is quite a challenge for non-native speakers. I managed to memorize a bunch of words while preparing for tests early on, and it is a happy experience to hear some of these words actually being used by colleagues here. Because of the rich vocabulary as well as topics, casual talk over lunch has been quite enjoyable and it is definitely one of the highlights of the day.

Well, to summarize, I am Surfer_Diver, an Earthian, who works in the R&D department, enjoys good jokes, and would like to improve his language skills.

附:海外逸士對《My Icebreaker at TMI》一文的點評 
來源:
海外逸士2011-10-08 13:04:50
http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/yingyumeiwen/119938.html

這不像演講稿﹐是篇文章。基本語法錯誤沒有。用詞有點問題。

have travelled。 getter say "have been".

One of them is to read jokes.

to follow suit. To use "follow" here is enough. to follow suit means
to do something someone else is doing.

特別請教
海外逸士先生寫作方麵的問題

1。演講稿和文章有何區別?

2。演講稿需具備哪些要素?

謝謝
海外逸士先生感謝長期以來對美語論壇的支持,感謝您在美語論壇發表的無數的作品,感謝您為美語論壇的網友提供《高級英語教材》係列和批閱網友的文章等。

提供高級英語教程(連續課本式)

來源: 海外逸士2011-10-01 06:30:13

所有跟帖: 

Haha, I thought you could do better :) -衝浪潛水員- 給 衝浪潛水員 發送悄悄話 衝浪潛水員 的博客首頁 (94 bytes) () 10/09/2011 postreply 06:28:27

下次你單獨發帖吧,一定會更好,這樣海外逸士先生和大家都可以讀到你的文章。 -美語世界- 給 美語世界 發送悄悄話 美語世界 的博客首頁 (270 bytes) () 10/09/2011 postreply 19:10:05

謝謝關心!我會加油的 -衝浪潛水員- 給 衝浪潛水員 發送悄悄話 衝浪潛水員 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/10/2011 postreply 09:24:56

better, not getter. worry. typo. -海外逸士- 給 海外逸士 發送悄悄話 海外逸士 的博客首頁 (230 bytes) () 10/09/2011 postreply 06:42:13

回複:better, not getter. sorry. typo. -海外逸士- 給 海外逸士 發送悄悄話 海外逸士 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/09/2011 postreply 06:43:04

Thanks! Noted. Let me give it a try next weekend. -衝浪潛水員- 給 衝浪潛水員 發送悄悄話 衝浪潛水員 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/09/2011 postreply 06:55:37

謝謝您的回複,周末好。 -美語世界- 給 美語世界 發送悄悄話 美語世界 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/09/2011 postreply 07:28:28

真好。精辟。 -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/09/2011 postreply 13:36:09

Good! b:m = 1:2 -走馬讀人- 給 走馬讀人 發送悄悄話 走馬讀人 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/09/2011 postreply 10:02:09

Thanks! I also learned from here. 回複:My Icebreaker at TMI 作者:衝浪潛 -秒秒- 給 秒秒 發送悄悄話 秒秒 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/09/2011 postreply 11:25:55

關於演講稿的又一說 -海外逸士- 給 海外逸士 發送悄悄話 海外逸士 的博客首頁 (227 bytes) () 10/10/2011 postreply 06:47:57

Thanks! A very good point. -衝浪潛水員- 給 衝浪潛水員 發送悄悄話 衝浪潛水員 的博客首頁 (266 bytes) () 10/10/2011 postreply 09:22:25

演講和英文的speech可能不一樣 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (180 bytes) () 10/10/2011 postreply 09:37:40

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”