Usage Note for "couple"

來源: EnLearner 2011-09-10 23:01:57 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (13759 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ EnLearner ] 在 2011-09-13 05:28:04 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.
回答: *=*=* 《每日一句漢譯英》 *=*=*EnLearner2011-09-10 19:29:19

Usage Note: When used to refer to two people who function socially as a unit, as in a married couple, the word couple may take either a singular or a plural verb, depending on whether the members are considered individually or collectively: The couple were married last week. Only one couple was left on the dance floor. When a pronoun follows, they and their are more common than it and its: The couple decided to spend their (less commonly its) vacation in Florida. Using a singular verb and a plural pronoun, as in The couple wants their children to go to college, is widely considered to be incorrect. Care should be taken that the verb and pronoun agree in number: The couple want their children to go to college. · Although the phrase a couple of has been well established in English since before the Renaissance, modern critics have sometimes maintained that a couple of is too inexact to be appropriate in formal writing. But the inexactitude of a couple of may serve a useful purpose, suggesting that the writer is indifferent to the precise number of items involved. Thus the sentence She lives only a couple of miles away implies not only that the distance is short but that its exact measure is unimportant. This usage should be considered unobjectionable on all levels of style. · The of in the phrase a couple of is often dropped in speech, but this omission is usually considered a mistake, especially in formal contexts. Three-fourths of the Usage Panel finds the sentence I read a couple books over vacation to be unacceptable; however, another 20% of the Panel finds the sentence to be acceptable in informal speech and writing.

cou·ple Listen to audio/ˈkʌpəl/ noun plural couples

[count] 1 : two people who are married or who have a romantic or sexual relationship
a happily married couple Are they a couple? No, they are just good friends. Seventeen couples participated in the survey. The romance had gone out of their relationship, so they signed up for couples therapy. [=therapy in which a psychologist helps couples solve problems with their relationships]

2 : two people or things that are together : pairusually used in the phrase in couples The people were lined up in couples.
a couple
informal

1 : two or a few of something
Can you give me a couple more examples? This one costs a couple less dollars than that one. In informal U.S. English, a couple can be used like a couple of before a plural noun.
I lost interest in the book after a couple chapters. We owned a couple dogs. We stopped for a couple drinks after work. It is often used with periods of time and numbers. I saw the movie a couple nights ago. We met a couple years ago. I took a couple weeks off. a couple hundred people a couple dozen

2 : two or a few
How many drinks have you had? Oh, just a couple.
a couple of
: two of or a few of : two (things) or a few (things)
It happened a couple of days ago. [=two days ago] I only had a couple of sips. Can you loan me a couple of dollars? I have a couple of favorite restaurants I go to. I'll be ready in a couple of minutes. [=I'll be ready soon] Our schedule is booked solid for the next couple of weeks. [=for the next two weeks] They've lost the last/previous couple of games.
— cou·ple·dom Listen to audio /ˈkʌpəldəm/ noun [noncount]
They are breaking up after eight years of coupledom. [=after eight years of being a couple]

2couple verb
couples; cou·pled; cou·pling

[+ obj] 1 : to join (two things) together : connect
a device that makes it possible to couple the pieces The coils are loosely/tightly coupled.

2 : to join (something) to something else : connect
The wire is coupled to the terminal. It took an hour to couple the trailer to the truck.
couple with [phrasal verb]
couple (something) with (something) : to join or combine (something) with (something else)
The exhibit couples poems with paintings.usually used as (be) coupled with An oil spill coupled with [=combined with, together with] strong winds brought disaster. The team's win, coupled with a loss by their rivals, put them in first place.
— cou·pler Listen to audio /ˈkʌplɚ/ noun, plural cou·plers [count]
The company manufactures trailer couplers. [=couplings, hitches]

所有跟帖: 

謝謝愚公! -浮上來冒個小泡- 給 浮上來冒個小泡 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/11/2011 postreply 18:02:50

問好泡泡。 -EnLearner- 給 EnLearner 發送悄悄話 EnLearner 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/11/2011 postreply 20:39:03

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”