My translation & listening

回答: 【翻譯聽寫】練習之十一 -- 論禮儀EnLearner2011-07-31 21:43:42

<translation>

Manners to society is similar as clothes to people. If people are not wearing clothes, they would be ridiculed and deemed immoral. Similarly if a Society lacks etiquettes, the normal interactions between its members would be interrupted by unnecessary conflicts and disputes. If the society were a train, etiquettes would be tracks along which can the train only move. If the society were a wagon, manners would be wheels and axles on which the wagon would depend. Without manners, the dearest friends could turn into foes and closest allied countries could face each other at war. Many such examples can be found throughout history. Therefore, having good manners towards others and making efforts to follow etiquettes would be my advice, so that one can avoid offending anyone or making enemies.

<listening>

7 On etiquette

Etiquette to society is what apparel is to the individual. Without apparel, men would go into shameful nudity which would surely lead to the corruption of morals, and without etiquette, society would be in a pitiable state and the necessary intercourse between its members would be interfered with by the needless offences and troubles.  If a society were train, the etiquette would be rails along which only the train could ramble for. If the society were state coach, the etiquette would be wheels and axels on which only the coach could row forward. The lack of proprieties would make the most intimate friends turn to be the most decided enemies, and the friendly or allied countries declare war against each other. We can find many examples in the history of mankind. Therefore I advise you to stand on ceremony before anyone else and to make pains not to do anything against etiquette, lest to give offences or make enemies.

所有跟帖: 

Good transalation. -EnLearner- 給 EnLearner 發送悄悄話 EnLearner 的博客首頁 (189 bytes) () 08/02/2011 postreply 20:51:51

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!