my comments (Please take it with a grain of salt)

來源: 同學小薇 2011-07-01 12:25:54 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (7171 bytes)

Improving my English grammar

When asked how to improve my English writing, my previous advisor simply mentioned that I just need (needed?) to pay more attention to what I wrote.  It sounds easier than it really is. I relied on my advisor too much on writing when I was in school. As long as we got the papers published, I did not care about how to improve my writing by myself. Now, I am looking for a job and then realize that good writing skills are essential for almost all the jobs I applied. (maybe "I have applied")

I know that the structure and the content of an article are foremost for attracting readers. However, when practicing my English writing, I realize (realized) that I make (made) too many grammar mistakes, which makes my writing lousy. Some of the mistakes are (were) made because I am (was) reckless; others were made because I did not even have a clue about the right rules to use. Then (therefore), in order to have solid grammar training which is fundamental towards a good writing, I start to read grammar books again, ten years after I took my TOFEL exam when was the last time I read a grammar book.

When I get to the details of the rules and the exceptions of English grammar, my hands are sweating. The more I read, the more I realize (realized)  that how many mistakes I have made. I even made lethal mistakes in my cover letters of applying jobs (for job application) . No wonder I get no response (responses) from those hiring companies at all.  On the other hand, I feel lost with all those rules and exceptions. It is hard to memorize all those details without using them on daily basis (on a daily basis). Thus, I make up my mind (nothing wrong here, but use "decide" maybe simplier?) to practice everyday. Try to write something and utilize what I have learned. My grammar is really weak based on my self-evaluation and feedbacks from others. The good part is that I have large room (a large room) to improve, whereas the bad part is that I have a lot to do to be on the right track.

If I just do it on my own, those blind spots may not be found out forever (nothing wrong here, just think maybe use "never be found" is simpler). So I need help from you guys. Please help me to correct my mistakes to make my writing better. Hope you do not mind that my writing is really poor. I also beg you for the tips towards proper usage of grammar and writing. Thanks.

所有跟帖: 

回複:my comments (Please take it with a grain of salt) -i999- 給 i999 發送悄悄話 i999 的博客首頁 (258 bytes) () 07/01/2011 postreply 12:54:37

回複:回複:my comments (Please take it with a grain of salt) -金迷- 給 金迷 發送悄悄話 金迷 的博客首頁 (146 bytes) () 07/01/2011 postreply 13:03:30

回複:回複:回複:my comments (Please take it with a grain of salt) -i999- 給 i999 發送悄悄話 i999 的博客首頁 (80 bytes) () 07/01/2011 postreply 13:07:39

Hi, i999 -同學小薇- 給 同學小薇 發送悄悄話 (835 bytes) () 07/01/2011 postreply 13:27:09

回複:Hi, i999 -i999- 給 i999 發送悄悄話 i999 的博客首頁 (253 bytes) () 07/01/2011 postreply 13:45:34

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”