每周三份核桃,減少一半的癌症風險

來源: 羽衣甘藍 2016-07-30 02:11:35 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (8390 bytes)

By  

SHARES

Evidence on Nut Consumption and Human Health

In the whole food plant based food community, there is a tempest in the teapot and it’s a pretty nutty tempest. By no means am I an expert on nuts—the foods, that is. My views on this topic are entirely based on the scientific research evidence, after professionally being in the field of nutrition for more than a half century.

So let’s start with the evidence on nut consumption and human health. It’s easy for me. I suggest reading Michael Greger’s summary of the evidence in his new book, How Not To Die (2015)[1]. It’s the best recent review, in my opinion. Greger summarizes several studies of recent years that now suggest nuts are beneficial in reducing cardiovascular and other diseases. For women who are at high risk for heart disease, one study showed that those who ate either nuts or a tablespoon of peanut butter 5 or more days a week cut their risk of a heart attack nearly in half compared to those eating 1 serving or less per week (p. 345). Another long term study of over 7000 men and women at high risk for cardiovascular disease found that one group who doubled their intake of nuts to about an ounce (a handful) of nuts every day cut their risk of stroke in half. And in general, those in the study who ate more nuts every day “had a significantly lower risk of dying prematurely overall.” (p.344-345). Walnuts seem to have extra health benefits – those who ate more than 3 servings of walnuts a week cut their risk of dying from cancer in half (p. 345).

Nuts are one of the most nutrient dense of all plant-based foods. I recall many years ago teaching nutrition and pointing out that nuts are an especially good source of the fat soluble antioxidant, vitamin E. I imagined that this made sense because the purpose of nuts (and seeds) is to store the nutrients necessary for startup growth of the new tree offspring. My thought process at that time (probably not original) was that nuts might have to remain viable for long periods of times until conditions become suitable for the nut to sprout new growth. This needs a good source of energy and what better nutrient than fat, the most concentrated source. But, as I thought more about it, fats stored for many years might become rancid through oxidation of the fat, especially the more susceptible polyunsaturated fats. Nature resolved this potential problem by adding a rich source of the antioxidant vitamin E (a group of antioxidant tocopherols and related isomers). And, it chose the fat soluble vitamin E, instead of the many water soluble antioxidants found in other parts of the plant.

A second condition to be met for new growth is the inclusion of a rich supply of many other nutrients—vitamins and trace minerals. So, without belaboring the point, fat soluble antioxidants such as vitamin E and unsaturated fats go together. So, too, do they work together in our bodies as well and when we eat nuts, we are getting a good deal, including the addition of some interesting nut flavors to our culinary toolkit.

I know well the position of my colleague Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and his enormously impressive accomplishments with his heart patients. He counsels these patients against the consumption of fatty foods, even those containing fats in their natural form, as in nuts and avocados. I have always felt it would be interesting some day to do a clinical trial, to see if the same, or even more beneficial results could be obtained with a whole foods, plant-based diet containing modest amounts of natural fats. But I understand the cautionary stance of Dr. Esselstyn. It is true that many nuts are sold in bags, already shelled, making them easy to over consume. Eating too much of any rich food, even if in whole form, may not be a good idea for people with heart disease. Esselstyn’s impressive results were obtained without nuts.

But fat content aside, I am impressed with the findings now showing health benefits for most nuts. And when we judge a food by one nutrient, in this case judging nuts only because of their fat content, we may be falling into the same trap that has caused so much past misinformation.

Investigating nutrients in isolation, i.e., reductionism, is fine when we are exploring the mechanisms by which they work. But, for an understanding of a food’s nutritional properties, we must seek and understand context, i.e., wholism. I am distressed with too much unnecessary confusion in this field called nutrition, most of which comes from interpretations based solely on reductionist research findings, a practice great for pharmaceutical firms and other financial interests.[2]

We should remember that the dairy industry argued for years that we should consume milk and cheese because these products contain calcium, and calcium is important to bone health. This is a reductionist argument focused narrowly on consumption of calcium. As it turns out, foods high in animal protein such as cheese and milk cause a net calcium loss by causing a condition in the body called “acidosis,” which results in a leaching of calcium from the bones. So whatever calcium you consume when consuming milk or cheese is likely to be more than offset by the loss of calcium from the bones, excreted through the urine.

When we argue that nuts and avocados are unhealthy, we are using the same reductionist logic used by those promoting dairy consumption. And if we eliminate a whole category of foods abundantly available in most natural settings in temperate to tropical climates, a kind of food our ancestors would undoubtedly have found flavorful, then we are undermining the very rationale for a whole foods plant-based diet, which is rooted in Nature and in our evolution over eons of time. Even some of our primate cousins use stone tools to crack nuts, which they seem to relish. This is a story with long roots.

I would never suggest people eat nuts and other fatty plant foods to excess, because these foods are not available in Nature in excessive amounts. These foods should be consumed in moderation, and if eaten this way, I believe they provide important beneficial health effects.

所有跟帖: 

核桃很好,我每天吃。 -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 06:34:57

核桃不好吃,我把它當成藥吃。我愛吃開心果,也是在COSTCO買 的。 -lawattaction- 給 lawattaction 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 08:52:46

五仁月餅太好吃了,你也不吃? -禦用文人- 給 禦用文人 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 12:41:19

禦哥,你愛吃五仁月餅?那個有啥好吃的啊,我想不通,死甜還特油膩。 -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 14:34:14

挺好。北方的月餅全是死甜油膩。廣式的也很甜很油,原來愛吃蓮蓉雙黃的,後來戒了 -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (120 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 14:55:31

酥皮我原來是愛吃的,後來知道它油多,又有shortening不健康,就戒掉了。 -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 18:38:18

昨天去中國超市,看見已經有今年的月餅上市了,找來找去就是沒發現五仁的,一年才開戒一次,有什麽好怕的。。。 -禦用文人- 給 禦用文人 發送悄悄話 (65 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 15:31:22

有鹹的啊。北京稻香村的鹹五仁火腿月餅賊好吃。 -nyagela- 給 nyagela 發送悄悄話 nyagela 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 15:42:43

在美國哪有稻香椿五仁月餅啊?快快告訴我。。。可以郵購嗎? -禦用文人- 給 禦用文人 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 15:45:58

我在北京吃的啊。。。我也想郵購稻香村的牛舌餅,還沒找到辦法呢。。。 -nyagela- 給 nyagela 發送悄悄話 nyagela 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 15:57:58

找人幫你從國內郵購吧。 -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 16:44:56

嗨。。。那還不如自己學著做呢?毛毛媽,熊貓媳婦肯定會。。。 -禦用文人- 給 禦用文人 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 17:11:29

那就更好了,還享受做的樂趣。 -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 17:30:15

看看菜壇做的五仁月餅。。。 -禦用文人- 給 禦用文人 發送悄悄話 (57 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 22:17:07

我還真沒吃過。鹹的我吃過蘇式的鮮肉月餅,當時吃覺得味道挺好的,可惜後來 -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (62 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 16:41:14

我愛吃五仁月餅!我還有月餅模子呢,就是有點小。我做的綠豆鴨蛋黃月餅挺好吃的,也比較健康。 -lawattaction- 給 lawattaction 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 19:13:04

costco的開心果都是加了鹽的,我對鹽很小心,所以不買。另外,從營養價值看, -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (164 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 14:33:13

我對開心果的癮沒那麽大。 -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 14:39:56

去掉皮的核桃非常好吃,但隻有種核桃的人才能去皮,因為隻有剛摘的核桃才能去皮。 -羽衣甘藍- 給 羽衣甘藍 發送悄悄話 羽衣甘藍 的博客首頁 (143 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 18:23:46

去掉皮的核桃非常好吃,但應該會缺少皮裏的營養。帶皮的有點苦但營養應該更多。 -羽衣甘藍- 給 羽衣甘藍 發送悄悄話 羽衣甘藍 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 18:18:44

是有點苦,不過跟水果一起吃就很甜了,而且一邊想著“這苦是對我好”。 -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 18:37:26

是的,除了水果,自然狀態的通常都沒有加工過的好吃。 -羽衣甘藍- 給 羽衣甘藍 發送悄悄話 羽衣甘藍 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 18:54:50

但加工過程中,大量的維生素流失了,有意或無意的,一些化學物質被帶進最終產品。 -羽衣甘藍- 給 羽衣甘藍 發送悄悄話 羽衣甘藍 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 18:58:57

核桃吃多了上火 -KkQq- 給 KkQq 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 09:18:56

key word: moderation -Gbdjw- 給 Gbdjw 發送悄悄話 (473 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 09:21:26

“How Not To Die”寫得不錯。Greger對文獻掌握得好,可惜他沒有在書中分析素食的問題,實際他是知道的,在一些視頻 -吃與活- 給 吃與活 發送悄悄話 吃與活 的博客首頁 (146 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 16:11:20

對,我一直都看的,他的書我也買有。我覺得吧,就看各人信什麽了, -蓍草為yarrow- 給 蓍草為yarrow 發送悄悄話 蓍草為yarrow 的博客首頁 (65 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 16:43:59

跟個人經曆有關吧。我從自己的經曆裏感覺種類齊全的植物是健康的最佳方法。 -羽衣甘藍- 給 羽衣甘藍 發送悄悄話 羽衣甘藍 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 18:31:06

我每天看nutritionstudies和nutritionfacts這兩個網站,非常好的宣傳健康飲食的網站。 -羽衣甘藍- 給 羽衣甘藍 發送悄悄話 羽衣甘藍 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/30/2016 postreply 18:26:07

Kale,想問一下,你平時主食吃什麽?吃白米飯和麵食嗎?還是隻吃土豆紅薯? -茄菲貓- 給 茄菲貓 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 07/31/2016 postreply 11:36:24

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”