跟兒子討論過窮日子。。。

-Hello Dad, did you call me?

-Yes, and I left you a message too.

-What's about?

-Do you have anything to do this weekend?

-Not really, maybe I go around a little bit.

-Last time you were talking about get some extra work over the weekend.

-Well, that needs supervisor's approval, and I don't think anybody has been approved lately.

-Since you don't have much to do during the weekend, have you been thinking about getting a part time job for some extra income?

-I have been thinking so.

-All right, try that. Maybe a supermarket or something. Many places need people.

- I guess so.

-I have been trying to teach you guys to find some source of income. Since you have many years to go, there might be bad time you need to get some income to feed yourself and family. It is an essential skill. You see my point?

-Yes.

-OK now comes to what I want to talk about. There is a house just listed, I want you to contact the realtor to set up a time to look at it. Do you think you can do this weekend?

-Yes I think I can.

-I already sent you the realtor's contact and the address by text.

-I saw that message came in, but haven't looked at it because I was at work.

-This is a house that needs a lot of work. I want you to have a good look at it. Remember that we have been to Home Depot to look at each shelf what they had? This is the time to use that knowledge. Try to find out what needs fixing and get an estimate for the job.

I have to warn you that the house is really in bad shape. It was hit by a fallen tree and has holes on the roof. The house was abandoned for years and there were water damages. There was no power or water . 

The first thing for you to do is to get a big stick, tap on the floors or steps for each step before you go. I don't want you to fall through a rotten floor. And don't forget to get a face mask because there might be molds there. 

The things to look at are, first the structure. To what extent is the roof damaged, how many rafters needs replacement.  Then go inside, check each room for walls and floors, check ceilings that are leaking because of the tree. That's the main thing. The house is old, everything inside goes, so ignore that. Apart from the roof damage this should be a regular extensive rehab. That's not I am worried about.

Also look at window, those are expensive to replace. And the condition of plumbing. I was told the house was frozen and then when the spring came the copper pipes busted and the basement flooded. Now the water was turned off and pumped out of the basement, but it can still be nasty there. When you go down that stairway to basement , make sure the treads are not rotted. Check plumbing and electrics, panel box, heating unit, water heater is probably no good anyway because of the freeze.

Basically that's it. Can you do that.

-I think I can.

-Ok that's good. Because by now you should know it's hard to get a job with good income, and housing is so expensive now, you might need the skills to fix or flip houses so that you got some place to live. Let me run some numbers. Say this house now sells for 100k, that's basically the price for the lot only. But if we can fix that, it will sells 300k. How much will this cost? Without seen everying my estimate is that maybe we need 50k materials and perhaps some services we have to hire. Some of the jobs we may have to hire licensed persons. You have learned a lot of skills over the years that you can do many things yourself. If I say we take time, and work on the weekend, we do it in a year, you might earned 100k sweat equity, that's way more than what you are making now.

-I see what you mean.

-You will probably be overwelmed when you first step into the house. It does'nt matter. Even if it's beyond our capacity, you gain experience by the exposure. You need to see many houses. Ok, I have said enough. Everything clear?

-Yes. I will see if I can do this weekend.

-Great, I am done with you. Have a good weekend.

-You too. Bye Bye.

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

哈哈,打狗棒開路。聽你的描述,我感覺這房子不成。房子要重做房頂,不是換瓦片,另外,我估計要換起碼一層樓的牆,裏邊早該發 -守月- 給 守月 發送悄悄話 (213 bytes) () 09/13/2024 postreply 16:06:28

I am not too worried about roof it self, but the structure. -borisg- 給 borisg 發送悄悄話 borisg 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/13/2024 postreply 16:16:44

你若真想把他引上路,先找容易修的,可能投入高一點,賺得少一點。買賣成功,建立起信心和興趣,逐漸積累經驗。摸著石頭過河。 -守月- 給 守月 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/13/2024 postreply 18:58:03

有人喜歡倒騰房子,有人喜歡倒騰股票或者其他事情。希望你兒子和你喜歡一樣的事情。 -檸檬椰子汁- 給 檸檬椰子汁 發送悄悄話 檸檬椰子汁 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/13/2024 postreply 16:10:03

老鼠的兒子,會打洞!哈! -lovecat08- 給 lovecat08 發送悄悄話 lovecat08 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/13/2024 postreply 16:47:42

多好的爹呀,殫精竭慮,苦口婆心 -logyliang2002- 給 logyliang2002 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/13/2024 postreply 17:02:55

讚!!U’ve got a good Son & should b Very proud of yourself! -最西邊的島上- 給 最西邊的島上 發送悄悄話 最西邊的島上 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/14/2024 postreply 06:16:06

讚!可憐天下父母心啊。你兒子也很懂事。 -nylandlord- 給 nylandlord 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/14/2024 postreply 07:19:00

波大的帖子常常是勵誌的,這一篇卻染繞人以淡淡的哀憂,想起趙丹臨終的話:"管得太具體,文藝沒希望"。我們ABC二代的希望, -一帖- 給 一帖 發送悄悄話 (249 bytes) () 09/14/2024 postreply 07:33:15

哈哈,波大是不放過一切機會說明兒子繼承地主衣缽,兒子看來也有興趣,不錯! -DJGO_SF1996- 給 DJGO_SF1996 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/14/2024 postreply 09:08:00

*說服兒子 -DJGO_SF1996- 給 DJGO_SF1996 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/14/2024 postreply 09:09:00

真煩啊,攤上你這樣的爸爸。孩子工作了還要盯著不放,就不能讓他 relax 一下? -大王叫我來巡山00- 給 大王叫我來巡山00 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/14/2024 postreply 10:07:50

有點心不在焉 -慘白的天使- 給 慘白的天使 發送悄悄話 慘白的天使 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/14/2024 postreply 12:27:12

讚!兒子懂事體貼。 將來幹什麽都會很優秀。 -雞媽媽- 給 雞媽媽 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/14/2024 postreply 15:14:43

恭喜接班有人! -smlandlord- 給 smlandlord 發送悄悄話 smlandlord 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/14/2024 postreply 16:34:32

你讓兒子去跑步跳舞爬山...啊 -kingfish2010- 給 kingfish2010 發送悄悄話 kingfish2010 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/15/2024 postreply 05:18:52

兒子很懂事 -NPshowway- 給 NPshowway 發送悄悄話 (81 bytes) () 09/15/2024 postreply 05:25:56

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!