transition from academic to industry

來源: 紅李子 2010-06-25 09:04:04 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (1713 bytes)
google 麵試問題 why move from academic to industry, 發現這樣一段
Since you asked for some personal experiences, I'll share my reasons for leaving academia. Basically, I didn't want to have the pressure of writing grants to keep my lab funded. Grant money was getting scarcer and scarcer when I had to make my decision, and it seemed like my thesis advisor was perpetually writing grant applications. He had several grants going, so one of them was always up for renewal, and the pressure was always on. I wrote an application for a fellowship grant myself so I saw how time-consuming the process was, and realized that writing multiple grants is a full-time job.

I didn't want to be in the position of worrying "If this grant doesn't get funded, how will my postdocs feed their babies?" So I took the easy way out and went into industry, where the business-types worry about the money.

Mind you, industry has its own problems, but I don't have to worry about money. If it runs out, it runs out, and I get laid off, which sucks, but at least it isn't on my conscience.

Also, in industry I can tell myself that I'm working on something potentially useful, which I find more motivating than pure research. As you know, research can be immensely frustrating, with weeks or months going by without any useful results, and the idea that there's a new cancer treatment (or whatever) at the end of it kinda helps me not get too discouraged. (Unfortunately, not one project I've worked on in the biotech industry so far has actually turned into a useful drug, but there's always hope for the next project, right?)

實際interview 時能如此回答嗎?

確為個人真實感受。

所有跟帖: 

回複:transition from academic to industry -小謀- 給 小謀 發送悄悄話 小謀 的博客首頁 (360 bytes) () 06/25/2010 postreply 09:22:53

回複:回複:transition from academic to industry -紅李子- 給 紅李子 發送悄悄話 (109 bytes) () 06/25/2010 postreply 09:29:30

回複:回複:回複:transition from academic to industry -小謀- 給 小謀 發送悄悄話 小謀 的博客首頁 (67 bytes) () 06/25/2010 postreply 09:46:01

最後一段不錯啊。 -灰衣人- 給 灰衣人 發送悄悄話 灰衣人 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2010 postreply 10:15:31

回複:最後一段不錯啊。 -小謀- 給 小謀 發送悄悄話 小謀 的博客首頁 (25 bytes) () 06/25/2010 postreply 10:43:55

回複:回複:最後一段不錯啊。 -灰衣人- 給 灰衣人 發送悄悄話 灰衣人 的博客首頁 (52 bytes) () 06/25/2010 postreply 11:10:03

Sorry too say that you have terrible answers -Easy.Spin- 給 Easy.Spin 發送悄悄話 Easy.Spin 的博客首頁 (511 bytes) () 06/25/2010 postreply 11:17:28

agree. Theses are truthful answers but will not sell -Cathy_Bay- 給 Cathy_Bay 發送悄悄話 Cathy_Bay 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2010 postreply 12:35:30

Totally agree. -小謀- 給 小謀 發送悄悄話 小謀 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2010 postreply 16:13:53

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”