To ExpactingMM: my 2 cents

來源: ffppyy 2009-10-17 10:50:50 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2889 bytes)
Congratulations! Just saw the post that you got a new job.

The post was under your original one. But for some reason, it couldn't be displayed.

----------------------------------

You did a great job and finished the project. But there are some points you may not quite understand.

Your ex-company is not a good fit for you. It requires you to communicate with clients directly. Apparently, you are not there yet. 他說: 每次客戶有什麽要求都要先跟他說, 他再轉述給我,甚至還要把具體的步驟告訴我, 按道理我應該可以直接跟客戶打交道的. 我說:”你從來沒有要求我這樣做”. 他說:”I never asked you to do this, that is because I think you are not there yet”. -- That is a good point. You boss doesn't need to know technical details, and most importantly, it is not him job to talk to clients. He has the ability to judge if you can deal with clients directly or not. He was fair here, I think. That is one of the reasons that he suggested you go to a big company, where developers are not required to do so. It is project manager's job. Apparently, there are some politics here. Your PM didn't care the project at all. The upper management didn't, either. It determined that no matter how hard you work, you wouldn't get much appreciation.

Second, never say something like ”All the functionalities are the power code of the project, GUI is kind of ice on the cake.” That was not fair. Usability is important for web app, although it is not very techie. Clients don't care how complicated the backend logic is. What they want is an easy, powerful, and comfortable GUI. It needs a lot of work, if you have heard of how Google did it. Most importantly, it shows that you are not a team player, and you don't appreciate other's work and suggestion. They may sound picky, event stupid, but you can't say that openly.

Third, I think you boss liked you very much. He shouldn't share all the information with you. If you were a manager, you wouldn't share all the information from your director to your team, right? He was trying to help you. When he asked to give you one month, you need to appreciate it and used that month to ask him advices and learned some soft skills. He might even think of some way to retain you. You never know. Build a network with him.

Last, I may have something to say about your technique. Honestly, I dont' think you understand web app very well. I am sorry if it hurts. If I were your manager, I would directly ask you to redesign you work if you told me that you had 70 stored procedures. It is not scalable, not maintainable, and would cause performance issue once the data traffic is high. Think about one basic fact of operation: it is easy and cheap to add a new web server, how about a new database server and sharding? All the biz logic should be in the app code, right?

Hopefully, it is helpful.

所有跟帖: 

very nice post. Interaction with clients can not be learned over -worriedmom1- 給 worriedmom1 發送悄悄話 (111 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 10:58:13

頂. What Clients want is an easy, powerful, and comfortable GUI. -ololol- 給 ololol 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 11:06:37

類似功能的產品,賣相好的才能吸引顧客. -ololol- 給 ololol 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 11:08:14

ding! -goyo- 給 goyo 發送悄悄話 goyo 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 11:13:17

能得到老大的頂, 有點不好意思,但是心裏很爽 -ololol- 給 ololol 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 11:22:52

俺什麽時候成老大的,俺以後不敢來了~~ -goyo- 給 goyo 發送悄悄話 goyo 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 11:25:54

你才是真正的老大呢~~ -灰衣人- 給 灰衣人 發送悄悄話 灰衣人 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 12:34:57

你就別再亂捧我了,會讓人笑話的~~ -goyo- 給 goyo 發送悄悄話 goyo 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 13:02:58

二位是老大. -ololol- 給 ololol 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 13:07:43

你們三位都是老大. -知秋葉- 給 知秋葉 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 13:25:22

Thank you so much for taking time to write this post -ExpectingMM- 給 ExpectingMM 發送悄悄話 (1247 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 16:31:26

你回得也很長. -小謀- 給 小謀 發送悄悄話 小謀 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 18:19:05

add a new web server?new database server and sharding? -撅著挺好- 給 撅著挺好 發送悄悄話 (22 bytes) () 10/17/2009 postreply 18:48:22

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”