畫眉塢

“畫眉深淺入時無?“ 一曲菱歌敵萬金。
正文

世界上最美麗的英文

(2009-06-06 15:25:06) 下一個
 All That Is Beautiful——Poems and Passages of Life
  世界上最美麗的英文——人生短篇

  閉上眼睛,細數你生命中最美麗的瞬間……

  在寒冷的日子裏接到遠方朋友暖暖的問候;
  讀到一篇優美的詩歌,馨香繞懷久久不忘;
  看到白浪銀沙和地平線,第一次來到海邊;
  小雨點與莫紮特的音符一起跳躍在深院中;
  走在街上,偶然的一景觸動了深藏的希望;
  還有,流星雨劃過天際的弧線;
  還有,夜場電影喚醒的靈感;
  ……
  這是你的人生,它和四季一樣有揚有落,然而當中的美從不遜色。
  翻開這本書,它也成為了你的一個瞬間;
  閱讀的快樂,學習的快樂,生之快樂。

  Thing do not change; we change.Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.
  萬物不變,是我們在變。你的衣服可以賣掉,但要你的思想要保留。  Henry David Thoreau


第一篇:
  A Grain of Sand
  一粒沙子
  William Blake/威廉.布萊克

  To see a world in a grain of sand,
  And a heaven in a wild flower,
  Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
  And eternity in an hour.
  從一粒沙子看到一個世界,
  從一朵野花看到一個天堂,
  把握在你手心裏的就是無限,
  永恒也就消融於一個時辰。
(一沙一世界/一花一天堂/把無限放在掌心/永恒在刹那收藏)

第二篇:
  Love Your Life
  熱愛生活
  Henry David Thoreau/享利.大衛.梭羅

  However mean your life is,meet it and live it ;do not shun it and call it hard names.It is not so bad as you are.It looks poorest when you are richest.The fault-finder will find faults in paradise.Love your life,poor as it is.You may perhaps have some pleasant,thrilling,glorious hourss,even in a poor-house.The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the alms-house as brightly as from the rich man's abode;the snow melts before its door as early in the spring.I do not see but a quiet mind may live as contentedly there,and have as cheering thoughts,as in a palace.The town's poor seem to me often to live the most independent lives of any.May be they are simply great enough to receive without misgiving.Most think that they are above being supported by the town;but it often happens that they are not above supporting themselves by dishonest means.which should be more disreputable.Cultivate poverty like a garden herb,like sage.Do not trouble yourself much to get new things,whether clothes or friends,Turn the old,return to them.Things do not change;we change.Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.
  不論你的生活如何卑賤,你要麵對它生活,不要躲避它,更別用惡言咒罵它。它不像你那樣壞。你最富有的時候,倒是看似最窮。愛找缺點的人就是到天堂裏也能找到缺點。你要愛你的生活,盡管它貧窮。甚至在一個濟貧院裏,你也還有愉快、高興、光榮的時候。夕陽反射在濟貧院的窗上,像身在富戶人家窗上一樣光亮;在那門前,積雪同在早春融化。我隻看到,一個從容的人,在哪裏也像在皇宮中一樣,生活得心滿意足而富有愉快的思想。城鎮中的窮人,我看,倒往往是過著最獨立不羈的生活。也許因為他們很偉大,所以受之無愧。大多數人以為他們是超然的,不靠城鎮來支援他們;可是事實上他們是往往利用了不正當的手段來對付生活,他們是毫不超脫的,毋寧是不體麵的。視貧窮如園中之花而像聖人一樣耕植它吧!不要找新的花樣,無論是新的朋友或新的衣服,來麻煩你自己。找舊的,回到那裏去。萬物不變,是我們在變。你的衣服可以賣掉,但要保留你的思想。


第三篇:
  These Things Shall Never Die
  這些美好不會消逝
  Charles Dickens/查爾斯.狄更斯

  The pure.the bright,the beautiful, 一切純潔的,輝煌的,美麗的,
  That stirred our hearts in youth, 強烈地震撼著我們年輕的心靈的,
  The impulses to wordless prayer, 推動著我們做無言的禱告的,
  The dreams of love and truth; 讓我們夢想著愛與真理的;
  The longing after something's lost, 在失去後為之感到珍惜的,
  The spirit's yearning cry, 使靈魂深切地呼喊著的,
  The striving after better hopes- 為了更美好的夢想而奮鬥著的-
  These things can never die. 這些美好不會消逝。

  The timid hand stretched forth to aid 羞怯地伸出援助的手,
  A brother in his need, 在你的弟兄需要的時候,
  A kindly word in grief's dark hour 傷慟、困難的時候,一句親切的話
  That proves a friend indeed ; 就足以證明朋友的真心;
  The plea for mercy softly breathed, 輕聲地乞求憐憫,
  When justice threatens nigh, 在審判臨近的時候,
  The sorrow of a contrite heart- 懊悔的心有一種傷感--
  These things shall never die. 這些美好不會消逝。

  Let nothing pass for every hand 在人間傳遞溫情
  Must find some work to do ; 盡你所能地去做;
  Lose not a chance to waken love- 別錯失去了喚醒愛的良機-----
  Be firm,and just ,and true; 為人要堅定,正直,忠誠;
  So shall a light that cannot fade 因此上方照耀著你的那道光芒
  Beam on thee from on high. 就不會消失。
  And angel voices say to thee---你將聽到天使的聲音在說-----
  These things shall never die. 這些美好不會消逝。


第四篇:
  Think it over……好好想想……

  Today we have higher buildings and wider highways,but shorter temperaments and narrower points of view;
  今天我們擁有了更高層的樓宇以及更寬闊的公路,但是我們的性情卻更為急躁,眼光也更加狹隘;

  We spend more,but enjoy less;
  我們消耗的更多,享受到的卻更少;

  We have bigger houses,but smaller famillies;
  我們的住房更大了,但我們的家庭卻更小了;

  We have more compromises,but less time;
  我們妥協更多,時間更少;

  We have more knowledge,but less judgment;
  我們擁有了更多的知識,可判斷力卻更差了;

  We have more medicines,but less health;
  我們有了更多的藥品,但健康狀況卻更不如意;

  We have multiplied out possessions,but reduced out values;
  我們擁有的財富倍增,但其價值卻減少了;

  We talk much,we love only a little,and we hate too much;
  我們說的多了,愛的卻少了,我們的仇恨也更多了;

  We reached the Moon and came back,but we find it troublesome to cross our own street and meet our neighbors;
  我們可以往返月球,但卻難以邁出一步去親近我們的左鄰右舍;

  We have conquered the uter space,but not our inner space;
  我們可以征服外太空,卻征服不了我們的內心;

  We have highter income,but less morals;
  我們的收入增加了,但我們的道德卻少了;

  These are times with more liberty,but less joy;
  我們的時代更加自由了,但我們擁有的快樂時光卻越來越少;

  We have much more food,but less nutrition;
  我們有了更多的食物,但所能得到的營養卻越來越少了;

  These are the days in which it takes two salaries for each home,but divorces increase;
  現在每個家庭都可以有雙份收入,但離婚的現象越來越多了;

  These are times of finer houses,but more broken homes;
  現在的住房越來越精致,但我們也有了更多破碎的家庭;

  That's why I propose,that as of today;
  這就是我為什麽要說,讓我們從今天開始;

  You do not keep anything for a special occasion.because every day that you live is a SPECIAL OCCASION.
  不要將你的東西為了某一個特別的時刻而預留著,因為你生活的每一天都是那麽特別;

  Search for knowledge,read more ,sit on your porch and admire the view without paying attention to your needs;
  尋找更多的知識,多讀一些書,坐在你家的前廊裏,以讚美的眼光去享受眼前的風景,不要帶上任何功利的想法;

  Spend more time with your family and friends,eat your favorite foods,visit the places you love;
  花多點時間和朋友與家人在一起,吃你愛吃的食物,去你想去的地方;

  Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment;not only about survival;
  生活是一串串的快樂時光;我們不僅僅是為了生存而生存;

  Use your crystal goblets.Do not save your best perfume,and use it every time you feel you want it.
  舉起你的水晶酒杯吧。不要吝嗇灑上你最好的香水,你想用的時候就享用吧!

  Remove from your vocabulary phrases like"one of these days"or "someday";
  從你的詞匯庫中移去所謂的“有那麽一天”或者“某一天”;

  Let's write that letter we thought of writing "one of these days"!
  曾打算“有那麽一天”去寫的信,就在今天吧!

  Let's tell our families and friends how much we love them;
  告訴家人和朋友,我們是多麽地愛他們;

  Do not delay anything that adds laughter and joy to your life;
  不要延遲任何可以給你的生活帶來歡笑與快樂的事情;

  Every day,every hour,and every minute is special;
  每一天、每一小時、每一分鍾都是那麽特別;

  And you don't know if it will be your last.
  你無從知道這是否最後時刻。


第五篇:
  The life I desired
  我所追求的生活
  威廉.薩姆塞特.毛姆/William Somerset Maugham

  That must be the story of innumerable couples,and the pattern of lifeof life it offers has a homely grace.It reminds you of a placid rivulet,meandering smoohtly through green pastures and shaded by pleasant trees,till at last it falls into the vasty sea;but the sea is so calm,so silent,so infifferent,that you are troubled suddently by a vague uneasiness.Perhaps it is only by a kink in my nature,strong in me even in those days,that i felt in such an existence,the share of the great majority,something amiss.I recognized its social value.I saw its ordered happiness,but a fever in my blood asked for a wilder course.There seemed to me something alarming in such easy delights.In my heart was desire to live more dangerously.I was not unprepared for jagged rocks and treacherous,shoals it I could only have change-change and the exicitement of unforeseen.

  這一定是世間無數對夫妻的生活寫照,這種生活模式給人一種天倫之美。它使人想起一條平靜的溪流,蜿蜒暢遊過綠茵的草場,濃蔭遮蔽,最後注入煙波浩渺的汪洋大海;但是大海太過平靜,太過沉默,太過不動聲色,你會突然感到莫名的不安。也許這隻是我自己的一種怪誕想法,在那樣的時代,這想法對我影響很深:我覺得這像大多數人一樣的生活,似乎欠缺了一點兒什麽。我承認這種生活有社會價值,我也看到了它那井然有序的幸福,但我血液裏的衝動卻渴望一種更桀驁不馴的旅程.這樣的安逸中好像有一種叫我驚懼不安的東西.我的心渴望一種更加驚險的生活。隻要生活中還能有變遷———以及不可知的刺激,我願意踏上怪石嶙峋的山崖,奔赴暗礁滿布的海灘。


第六篇:
  Virtue 美德
  G.Herbert/赫伯特

  Sweet day,so cool,so calm,so bright! 甜美的白晝,如此涼爽、安寧、明媚!
  The bridal of the earth and sky- 天地間完美的匹配-----
  The dew shall weep thy fall to-night; 今宵的露珠兒將為你的消逝而落淚;
  For thou must die. 因為你必須離去。
  Sweet rose,whose hue angry and brave, 美麗的玫瑰,色澤紅潤豔麗,
  Bids the rash gazer wipe his eye, 令匆匆而過的人拭目而視,
  Thy root is ever in its grave, 你的根永遠紮在墳墓裏,
  And thou must die. 而你必須消逝。

  Sweet spring,full of sweet days and roses, 美妙的春天,充滿了美好的日子和芳香的玫瑰,
  A box where sweets compacted lie, 如一支芬芳滿溢的盒子,
  My music shows ye have your closes, 我的音樂表明你們也有終止,
  And all must die, 萬物都得消逝。

  Only a sweet and virtuous soul, 唯有美好而正直的心靈,
  Like season'd timber,never gives; 猶如幹燥備用的木料,永不走樣;
  But though the whole world turn to coal, 縱然整個世界變為灰燼,
  Then chiefly lives. 它依然流光溢彩。


第七篇:
  The country Maid and Her Milk Can
  村姑和牛奶罐

  A country maid was walking along with a can of milk upon her head,when she fell into the following train of reflections."The money for which I shall sell this milk will enable me to increase my stock of eggs to three hundred,These eggs,allowing for what may prove addle,and what may be destroyed by vermin,will produce at least two hundred and fifty chickens.The chickens will be fit to carry to market just at the time when poultry is always dear;so that by the new year I cannot fail of having money enough to purchase a new gown.Green-let me consider-yes,green becomes my complexion best .and green it shall be, In this dress I will go to the fair,where all young fellows will strive to have me for a parter;but no-I shall refuse every one of them,and with a disdainful toss turn from them."

  Transported with this idea,she could not forbear acting with her head the thought that passed in her mind,when down came the can of milk!And all her imaginary happiness vanished in a moment.

  一個村姑頭上頂著一罐牛奶在路上行走。走著走著,她的腦子裏浮現出一連串的幻想:“我賣了這罐牛奶後,用這筆錢買雞蛋,這樣我有的雞蛋可以增加到300個。用這300個雞蛋孵小雞,這就算有壞的、生蟲的,至少也能孵出250隻小雞。等小雞長大後,正好能趕上賣個好市價;那麽到了新年,我就能有錢買一件新晚裝。買一件綠色的——讓我好好想想——對,綠色與我的膚色最相襯。我穿上這件衣服去趕集,所有的年輕小夥子都會搶著邀請我做舞伴;但是不行——我要輕蔑地把頭一揚,轉身過去不理他們,讓他們人人都碰個釘子。

  她想得得意忘形,情不自禁地把頭一揚,刹那間,牛奶罐跌了下來!她幻想的一切幸福瞬間破滅了。


第八篇:
  The Rainy Day 雨天
  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 亨利.沃茲渥斯.朗費羅

  The day is cold,and dark,and dreary;
  It rains,and the wind is never weary;
  The vine still clings to the moldering wall,
  But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
  And the day is dark and dreary.

  My life is cold and dark and dreary;
  It rains and the wind is never weary;
  My though still cling to the moldering past,
  But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
  And the days are dark and dreary.

  Be still,sad heart!And cease repining;
  Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
  Thy fate is the common fate of all,
  Into each life some rain must fall,
  Some days must be dark and dreary.

  天冷、陰暗、沉悶;
  下著雨,風也刮個不停;
  藤還攀附著頹垣殘壁,
  每來一陣狂風,枯葉附落紛紛,
  天真是陰暗而沉悶。

  我的生活寒冷、陰鬱、沉悶;
  下著雨,風也刮個不停;
  我的思想還糾纏著消逝的往事,
  大風裏,我的青春希望相繼熄滅,
  天真是陰暗而沉悶。

  安靜吧,憂傷的心!別再悔恨;
  烏雲後麵太陽依然輝煌燦爛;
  你命運和大家的一樣,
  每個人一生都得逢上陰雨,
  有些日子必然陰暗而沉悶。


第九篇:
  Love 愛情

  I love you not because of who you are,but because of who I am when I am with you.
  我愛你,不是因為你是一個怎樣的人,而是因為我喜歡與你在一起時的感覺。

  No man or woman is worth your tears,and the one who is ,won't make you cry.
  沒有人值得你流淚,值得讓你這麽做的人不會讓你哭泣。

  The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting right beside them knowing you can't have them.
  失去某人,最糟糕的莫過於,他近在身旁,卻猶如遠在天邊。

  Never frown,even when you are sad,because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.
  縱然傷心,也不要悉眉不展,因為你不知是誰會愛上你的笑容。

  To the world you may be one person,but to one person you may be the world.
  對於世界而言,你是一個人;但是對於某人,你是他的整個世界。

  Don't waste your time on a man/woman,who isn't willing to waste their time on you.
  不要為那些不願在你身上花費時間的人而浪費你的時間。

  Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to,doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.
  愛你的人如果沒有按你所希望的方式愛你,那並不代表他們沒有全心全意地愛你。

  Don't try to hard,the best things come when you least expect them to.
  不要著急,最好的總會在最不經意的時候出現。

  Maybe God wants us to meet a few wrong people before meeting the right one,so that when we finally meet the person,we will know how to be grateful.
  在遇到夢中人之前,上天也許會安排我們先遇到別人;在我們終於遇見心儀的人時,便應當心存感激。

  Don't cry because it is over,smile because it happened.
  不要因為結束而哭泣,微笑吧,為你的曾經擁有。

  Life is a pure flame,and we live by an invisible sun within us.-------Sir Thomas Browne
  “生命是束純淨的火焰,我們依靠自己內心看不見的太陽而存在。”--------托馬斯?布朗爵士


第十篇:
  On the Feeling of Immortality in youth
  有感於青春常在
  William Hazlitt/威廉.赫茲裏特

  No young man believes he shall ever die.It was a saying of my brother's,and a fine one.There is a feeling of Eternity in youth,which makes us amend for everything.To be young is to be as one of the Immortal Gods.One half of time indeed is flown-the other half remains instore for us with all its countless treasures;for there is no line drawn,and we see no limit to our hopes and wishes.We make the coming age our own-
  年輕人不相信自已會死。這是我哥哥的話,可算得一句妙語。青春有一種永生之感——它能彌補一切。人在青年時代好像一尊永生的神明。誠然,生命的一半已以消逝,但蘊藏著不盡財富的另一半還有所保留,我們對它也抱著無窮的希望和幻想。未來的時代完全屬於我們——

  The vast,the unbounded prospect lies before us.
  無限遼闊的遠景在我們麵前展現

  Death.old age.are words without a meaning.that pass by us like the idea air which we regardnot.Others may have undergone,or may still be liable to them-we "bear a charmed life",whichlaughs to scorn all such sickly fancies.As in setting out on delightful journey,we strain our eager gaze forward-
  死亡,老年,不過是空話,毫無意義;我們聽了,隻耳邊風,全不放在心上。這些事,別人也許經曆過,或者可能要承受,但是我們自己,“在靈符護佑下度日”,對於諸如此類脆弱的念頭,統統付之輕蔑的一笑。像是剛剛走上愉快的旅程,極目遠眺——

  Bidding the lovely scenes at distance hail!
  向遠方的美景歡呼!

  -and see no end to the landscape,new objects presenting themselves as we advance;so,in thecommencement of life,we set no bounds to our inclinations.nor to the unrestricted opportunities of grastifying them.we have as yet found no obstacle,no disposition to flag;and it seems that we can go on so forever.We look round in a new world,full of life,and motion,and ceaseless progress;and feel in ourselves all the vigour and spirit to keep pace with it,and do not foresee from any present symptoms how we shall be left behind in the natural course of things,decline into old age,and drop into the grave.It is the simplicity,and as it were abstractedness of our feelings in youth,that(so to speak)identifies us with nature ,and(our experience being slight and our passions strong)deludes us into a belief of being immortal like it.Our short-lives connexion with existence we fondly flatter ourselves,is an indissoluble and lasting union-a honeymoon that knows neither coldness,jar,nor separation.As infants smile and sleep,we are rocked in the cradle of our wayward fancies,and lulled into security by the roar of the universe around us0we quaff the cup of life with eager haste without draining it,instead of which it only overflows the more-objects press around us,filling the mind with their magnitude and with the strong of desires that wait upon them,so that we have no room for the thoughts of death.
  此時,但覺好風光應接不暇,而且,前程更有美不勝收的新鮮景致。在這生活的開端,我們聽任自己的誌趣馳騁,放手給它們一切滿足的機會。到此為止,我們還沒有碰上過什麽障礙,也沒有感覺到什麽疲憊,因此覺得還可以一直這樣向前走去,直到永遠。我們看到四周一派新天地——生機盎然,變動不居,日新月異;我們覺得自己活力充盈,精神飽滿,可與宇宙並駕齊驅。而且,眼前也無任何跡象可以證明,在大自然的發展過程中,我們自己也會落伍,衰老,進入墳墓。由於年輕人天真單純,可以說是茫然無知,因而將自己跟大自然劃上等號;並且,由於經驗少而感情盛,誤以為自己也能和大自然一樣永世長存。我們一廂情願,癡心妄想,竟把自己在世上的暫時棲身,當作千古不變、萬事長存的結合,好像沒有冷淡、爭執、離別的密月。像嬰兒帶著微笑入睡,我們躺在用自己編織成的搖籃裏,讓大千世界的萬籟之聲催哄我們安然入夢;我們急切切,興衝衝地暢飲生命之杯,怎麽也不會飲幹,反而好像永遠是滿滿欲溢;森羅萬象紛至遝來,各種欲望隨之而生,使我們騰不出工夫想死亡。


第十一篇:
  A Forever Friend
  永遠的朋友

  "A friend walk in when the rest of the world walks out."
  "別人都走開的時候,朋友仍與你在一起。”

  Sometimes in life,
  有時候在生活中,

  You find a special friend;
  你會找到一個特別的朋友;

  Someone who changes your life just by being part of it.
  他隻是你生活中的一部分內容,卻能改變你整個的生活。

  Someone who makes you laugh until you can't stop;
  他會把你逗得開懷大笑;

  Someone who makes you believe that there really is good in the world.
  他會讓你相信人間有真情。

  Someone who convinces you that there really is an unlocked door just waiting for you to open it.
  他會讓你確信,真的有一扇不加鎖的門,在等待著你去開啟。

  This is Forever Friendship.
  這就是永遠的友誼。

  when you're down,
  當你失意,

  and the world seems dark and empty,
  當世界變得黯淡與空虛,

  Your forever friend lifts you up in spirits and makes that dark and empty world suddenly seem bright and full.
  你真正的朋友會讓你振作起來,原本黯淡、空虛的世界頓時變得明亮和充實。

  Your forever friend gets you through the hard times,the sad times,and the confused times.
  你真正的朋友會與你一同度過困難、傷心和煩惱的時刻。

  If you turn and walk away,
  你轉身走開時,

  Your forever friend follows,
  真正的朋友會緊緊相隨,

  If you lose you way,
  你迷失方向時,

  Your forever friend guides you and cheers you on.
  真正的朋友會引導你,鼓勵你。

  Your forever friend holds your hand and tells you that everything is going to be okay.
  真正的朋友會握著你的手,告訴你一切都會好起來的。

  And if you find such a friend,
  如果你找到了這樣的朋友,

  You feel happy and complete,
  你會快樂,覺得人生完整,

  Because you need not worry,
  因為你無需再憂慮。

  Your have a forever friend for life,
  你擁有了一個真正的朋友,

  And forever has no end.
  永永遠遠,永無止境。


第十二篇:
  The Cobbler and the banker
  皮匠和銀行家
  La Fontaine/拉.封丹

  A cobbler passed his time in singing from morning till night;it was wonderful to see,wonderful to hear him;he was more contented in shoes,than was any of the seven sages.
  His neighbor,on the contrary,who was rolling in wealth,sung but little and slept less.He was a banker;when by chance he fell into a doze at day-break,the cobbler awoke him with his song.The banker complained sadly that Providence had not made sleep a saleable commodity,like edibles or drinkables.Having at length sent for the songster,he said to him,"How much a year do you earn,Master Gregory?"
  "How much a year,sir?"said the merry cobbler laughing,"I have reckon in that way,living as I do from one day to another;somehow I manage to reach the end of the year;each day brings its meal."
  "Well then!How much a day do you earn,my friend?"
  "Sometimes more,sometimes less;but the worst of it is,-and,without that our earnings would be very tolerable,-a number of days occur in the year on which we are forbidden to work;and the curate,moreover,is constantly adding some new saint to the list."
  The banker,laughing at his simplicity,said,"In the future I shall place you above want.Take this hundred crowns,preserve them carefully,and make use of them in time of need."
  The cobbler fancied he beheld all the wealth which the earth had produced in the past century for the use of mankind.Returning home,he buried his money and his happiness at the same time,No more singin;he lost his voice,the moment he acquired that which is the source of so much grief.Sleep quitted his dwelling;and cares,suspicions,and false alarms took its place,All day,his eye wandered in the direction of his treasure;and at night,if some stray cat made a noise,the cat was robbing him.At length the poor man ran to the house of his rich neighbor;"Give my back." said he,"sleep and my voice,and take your hundred crowns."
  一個皮匠從早到晚在唱歌中度過。無論見到他本人或聽見他的歌聲都使人覺得很愉快。他對於製鞋工作比當上了希臘七個執政官還要滿足。
  與此相反,他的鄰居是個銀行家,擁有萬貫家財,卻很少唱歌,晚上也睡得不好。他偶爾在黎明時分迷迷糊糊剛入睡,皮匠的歌聲便於工作把他吵醒了。銀行家鬱鬱寡歡地抱怨上帝沒有睡眠也製成一種像食品或飲料那樣可以買賣的商品。後來,銀行家就叫人把這位歌手請來,問道:“格列戈裏師傅,你一年賺多少錢?”
  “先生,你問我一年賺多少錢嗎?”快樂的皮匠笑道:“我從來不算這筆帳,我是一天一天地過日子,總而言之堅持到年底,每天掙足三餐。”
  “啊,朋友,那麽你一天賺多少錢呢?”
  “有時多一點,有時少一點;不過最糟糕的是一年中總有些日子不準我們做買賣,牧師又常常在聖徒名單上添新名字,否則我們的收入也還算不錯的。”
  銀行家被皮匠的直率逗笑了,他說:“我要你從今以後不愁沒錢用。這一百枚錢你拿去,小心放好,需要時拿來用吧。”
  皮匠覺得自己好像看到了過去幾百年來大地為人類所需而製造出來的全部財富。他回到家中,埋藏好硬幣,同時也埋葬了他的快樂。他不再唱歌了;從他得到這種痛苦的根源那一刻起,他的嗓子就啞了。睡眠與他分手;取而代之的卻是擔心、懷疑、虛驚。白天,他的目光盡朝埋藏硬幣的方向望;夜間,如果有隻迷途的貓弄出一點聲響,他就以為是有人來搶他的錢。最後,這個可憐的皮匠跑到他那富有的鄰居家裏說:“把你的一百枚錢拿回去,還我的睡眠和歌聲來。”


第十三篇:
  A Greek to Remember
  一位值得紀念的希臘人

  Diogenes was a famous Greek philosopher of the fourth century B.C.,who established the philosophy of cynicism.He often walked about in the daytime holding a lighted lantern,peering around as if he were looking for something.When auestioned about his odd behavior,he would reply,"I am searching for an honest man."
  Diogenes held that the good man was self-sufficient and did not require material comforts or wealth.He believed that wealth and possessions constrained humanity's natural state of freedom.In keeping with his philosophy,he was perefectly satisfied with making his home in a large tub discarded from the temple of Cybele,the goddess of nature.This earthen tub,called a pithos,and formerly been used for holding wine or oil for the sacrifices at the temple.
  One day,Alexander the Great ,conqueror of half the civilized world,saw Diogenes sitting in this tub in the sunshine .So the king,surrounded by his countries,approached Diogenes and said,"I am Alexander the Great."The philosopher replied rather contemptuously,"I am Diogenes,the Cynic."Alexander then asked him if he could help him in any way.
  "Yes,"shot back Diogenes,"don't stand between me and the sun."A surprised Alexander then replied quickly,"If I were not Alexander,I would be Diogenes."
  提奧奇尼斯是公元前四世紀一位著名的希臘哲學家,就是他創立了犬儒派哲學。他經常在白天點著燈籠四處走動、張望,像是在找什麽東西似的。哪人們問起他這古怪行為時,他會回答說:“我正在尋找正人君子。”
  提奧奇尼斯認為好人是自給自足的,不需要物質享受和財富。他認為財富、財產束縛了人們天生的自由狀態。與他的哲學相一致,他拿一個從別人從自然之母的廟裏丟棄的大壇作為自己的家,還對此萬分滿意。這個陶製的大壇叫做聖壇,過去在廟裏是用來盛裝祭祀用的酒和油的。
  一天,征服了半個文明世界的亞曆山大大帝看見提奧奇尼斯坐在大壇裏曬太陽。於是這位君主在大臣們的簇擁下走過去,對提奧奇尼斯說:“我是亞曆山大大帝。”哲學家相當傲慢地回答說:“我是提奧奇尼斯————犬儒學者。”然後亞曆山大問他是否需要任何幫助。
  “是的”,提奧奇尼斯駁回道,“別站在我和太陽之間。”大吃一驚的亞曆大繼而迅速回答道:“假如我不是亞曆山大,我就會是提奧奇斯。”


第十四篇:
  Friends
  朋友

  A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.
  真正的朋友是一個可以援手幫助並感動你心扉的人。

  There's always going to be people that hurt you,so what you have to do is keep on trusting and just be more careful about who you trust next time around.
  別人常常傷害你,所以你該繼續付出信任,並小心挑選你下次信任的人。

  Make youself a better person and know who you are before you try and know someone else and expect them to know you.
  在你想了解別人也想讓別人了解你之前,先完善並了解自己。

  Remember:Whatever happens,happens for a reason.
  要記住:任何事情的發生都有因有起。

  How many people actually have 8 true friends?Hardly anyone I know.But some of us have all right friends and good friends.
  有多少人可以擁有八個真正的朋友?就我所知少之又少。但我們會有泛泛之交和好友。


第十五篇:
  The More Loving One
  讓我們成為更有愛心的人
  W.H.Auden/W.H.奧登

  Looking up at the stars, I know quite well 仰望群星的時分,我一清二楚,
  That, for all they care, I can go to hell, 盡管它們關懷備至,我亦有可能赴地府,
  But on earth indifference is the least 可是塵世間我們絲毫不必畏懼
  We have to dread from man or beast. 人類或禽獸的那份冷漠。

  How should we like it were stars to burn 倘若群星燃燒著關懷我們的激情,
  With a passion for us we could not return? 我們卻無法回報,我們作何感想?
  If equal affection cannot be, 倘若無法產生同樣的感情,
  Let the more loving one be me. 讓我成為更有愛心的人。

  Admirer as I think I am 盡管我自視為群星的崇拜者,
  Of stars that do not give a damn, 它們滿不在乎,
  I cannot, now I see them ,say 現在我看群星,我卻難以啟齒,
  I missed one terribly all day. 說我成天思念一顆星星。

  Were all stars to disappear or die 倘若所有的星星消失或者消亡,
  I should learn to look at an empty sky 我應該學會仰望空蕩的天空,
  And feel its total dark sublime, 同時感受天空一片漆黑的崇高,
  Though this might take me a little time. 雖然這樣可能要花費一點時間。


第十六篇:
  If I were a Boy Again
  假如我又回到了童年
  Anonymous/無名氏

  If I were a boy again, I would practice perseverance more often, and never give up a thing because it was or inconvenient. If we want light, we must conquer darkness. Perseverance can sometimes equal genius in its results. “There are only two creatures,” syas a proverb, “who can surmount the pyramids—the eagle and the snail.”
  If I were a boy again, I would school myself into a habit of attention; I would let nothing come between me and the subject in hand. I would remember that a good skater never tries to skate in two directions at once.
  The habit of attention becomes part of our life, if we begain early enough. I often hear grown up people say “ I could not fix my attention on the sermon or book, although I wished to do so” , and the reason is, the habit was not formed in youth.
  If I were to live my life over again, I would pay more attention to the cultivation of the memory. I would strengthen that faculty by every possible means, and on every possible occasion. It takes a little hard work at first to remember things accurately; but memory soon helps itself, and gives very little trouble. It only needs early cultivation to become a power.

  假如我又回到了童年,我做事要更有毅力,決不因為事情艱難或者麻煩而撒手不幹,我們要光明,就得征服黑暗。
  毅力在效果上有時能同天才相比。俗話說:“能登上金字塔的生物,隻有兩種——鷹和蝸牛。”
  假如我又回到了童年,我就要養成專心致誌的習慣;有事在手,就決不讓任何東西讓我分心。我要牢記:優秀的滑冰手從不試圖同時滑向兩個不同的方向。
  如果及早養成這種專心致誌的習慣,它將成為我們生命的一部分。我常聽成年人說:“雖然我希望能集中注意聽牧師講道或讀書,但往往做不到。”而原因就是年輕時沒有養成這種習慣。
  假如我現在能重新開始我的生命,我就要更注意記憶力的培養。我要采取一切可能的辦法,並且在一切可能的場合,增強記憶力。要正確無誤地記住一些東西,在開始階段的確要作出一番小小的努力;但要不了多久,記憶力本身就會起作用,使記憶成為輕而易舉的事,隻需及早培養,記憶自會成為一種才能。

  If I were a boy again, I would cultivate courage. “Nothing is so mild and gentle as courage, nothing so cruel and pitiless as cowardice,” syas a wise author.
  We too often borrow trouble, and anticipate that may never appear.” The fear of ill exceeds the ill we fear.” Dangers will arise in any career, but presence of mind will often conquer the worst of them. Be prepared for any fate, and there is no harm to be freared.
  If I were a boy again, I would look on the cheerful side. Life is very much like a mirror: if you smile upon it, I smiles back upon you; but if you frown and look doubtful on it, you will get a similar look in return.
  Inner sunshine warms not only the heart of the owner, but of all that come in contact with it. “ who shuts love out ,in turn shall be shut out from love.”
  If I were a boy again, I would school myself to say no more often. I might write pages on the importance of learning very early in life to gain that point where a young boy can stand erect, and decline doing an unworthy act because it is unworthy.
  If I were a boy again, I would demand of myself more courtesy towards my companions and friends, and indeed towards strangers as well. The smallest courtesies along the rough roads of life are like the little birds that sing to us all winter long, and make that season of ice and snow more endurable.
  Finally, instead of trying hard to be happy, as if that were the sole purpose of life, I would , if I were a boy again, I would still try harder to make others happy.

  假如我又回到了童年,我就要培養勇氣。一位明智的作家曾說過:“世上沒有東西比勇氣更溫文爾雅,也沒有東西比懦怯更殘酷無情。”
  我們常常過多地自尋煩惱,杞人憂天。“怕禍害比禍害本身更可怕。”凡事都有危險,但鎮定沉著往往能克服最嚴重的危險。對一切禍福做好準備,那麽就沒有什麽災難可以害怕的了。
  假如我又回到了童年,我就要事事樂觀。生活猶如一麵鏡子:你朝它笑,它也朝你笑;如果你雙眉緊鎖,向它投以懷疑的目光,它也將還以你同樣的目光。
  內心的歡樂不僅溫暖了歡樂者自己的心,也溫暖了所有與之接觸者的心。“誰拒愛於門外,也必將被愛拒諸門外。”
  假如我又回到了童年,我就要養成經常說“不”字的習慣。一個少年要能挺得起腰,拒絕做不應該做的事,就因為這事不值得做。我可以寫上好幾頁談談早年培養這一點的重要性。
  假如我又回到了童年,我就要要求自己對夥伴和朋友更加禮貌,而且對陌生人也應如此。在坎坷的生活道路上,最細小的禮貌猶如在漫長的冬天為我們歌唱的小鳥,那歌聲使冰天雪地的寒冬變得較易忍受。
  最後,假如我又回到了童年,我不會力圖為自己謀幸福,好像這就是人生唯一的目的;與之相反,我要更努力為他人謀幸福。


第十七篇:
  Words To Live By
  生活的忠告
  Anonymous/無名氏

  I’ll give you some advice about life.
  給你生活的忠告

  Eat more roughage;
  多吃些粗糧;

  Do more than others expect you to do and do it pains;
  給別人比他們期望的更多,並用心去做;

  Remember what life tells you;
  熟記生活告訴你的一切;

  Don’t take to heart every thing you hear.
  Don’t spend all that you have.
  Don’t sleep as long as you want;
  不要輕信你聽到的每件事,不要花光你的所有,不要想睡多久就睡多久;

  Whenever you say” I love you”, please say it honestly;
  無論何時說“我愛你”,請真心實意;

  Whevever you say” I’m sorry”, please look into the other person’s eyes;
  無論何時說“對不起”,請看對方的眼睛;

  Fall in love at first sight;
  相信一見鍾情;

  Don’t neglect dreams;
  請不要忽視夢想;

  Love deeply and ardently, even if there is pain, but this is the way to make your life complete;
  深情熱烈地愛,也許會受傷,但這是使人生完整的唯一方法;

  Find a way to settle, not to dispute;
  用一種明確的方法解決爭議,不要冒犯;

  Never judge people by their appearance;
  永遠不要以貌取人;

  Speak slowly, but think quickly;
  慢慢地說,但要迅速地想;

  When someone asks you a question you don’t want to answer, simle and say, “Why do you want to know?”
  當別人問你不想回答的問題時,笑著說:“你為什麽想知道?”

  Remember that the man who can shoulder the most risk will gain the deepest love and the supreme accomplishment;
  記住:那些敢於承擔最大風險的人才能得到最深的愛和最大的成就;

  Call you mother on the phone. If you can’t, you may think of her in your heart;
  給媽媽打電話,如果不行,至少在心裏想著她;

  When someone sneezes say, “God bless you”;
  當別人打噴嚏時,說一聲“上帝保佑”;

  If you fail, don’t forget to learn your lesson;
  如果你失敗了,千萬別忘了汲取教訓;

  Remember the three “ respects” .Respect yourself, respect others, stand on dignity and pay attention to your behavior;
  記住三個“尊”: 尊重你自己; 尊重別人; 保持尊嚴, 對自己的行為負責;

  Don’t let a little dispute break up a great friendship;
  不要讓小小的爭端損毀了一場偉大的友誼;

  Whenever you find your wrongdoing, be quick with reparation!
  無論何時你發現自己做錯了,竭盡所能去彌補;動作要快!

  Whenever you make a phone call smil when you pick up the phone, because someone feel it!
  無論什麽時候打電話,摘起話筒的時候請微笑,因為對方能感覺到!

  Marry a person who likes talking; because when you get old, you’ll find that chatting to be a great advantage;
  找一個你愛聊的人結婚;因為年紀大了後,你會發覺喜歡聊天是一個人最大的優點;

  Find time for yourself.
  找點時間,單獨呆會兒;

  Life will change what you are but not who you are;
  欣然接受改變,但不要摒棄你的個人理念;

  Remember that silence is golden;
  記住:沉默是金;

  Read more books and watch less television;
  多看點書,少看點電視;

  Live a noble and honest life. Reviving past times in your old age will help you to enjoy your life again;
  過一種高尚而誠實的生活。當你年老時回想起過去,你就能再一次享受人生。

  Trust God, but don’t forget to lock the door;
  相信上帝,但是別忘了鎖門;

  The harmonizing atmosphere of a family is valuable;
  家庭的融洽氛圍是難能可貴的;

  Try your best to let family harmony flow smoothly;
  盡你的能力讓家平順和諧;

  When you quarrel with a close friend, talk about the main dish, don’t quibble over the appetizers;
  當你和你的親近的人吵嘴時候,試著就事論事,不要扯出那些陳芝麻、爛穀子的事;

  You cannot hold onto yesterday;
  不要擺脫不了昨天;

  Figure out the meaning of someone’s words;
  多注意言下之意;

  Share your knowledge to continue a timeless tradition;
  和別人分享你的知識,那才是永恒之道;

  Treat our earth in a friendly way,don’t fool around with mother nature;
  善待我們的地球,不要愚弄自然母親;

  Do the thing you should do;
  做自己該做的事;

  Don’t trust a lover who kisses you without closing their eyes;
  不要相信接吻時從不閉眼的伴侶;

  Go to a place you’ve never been to every year.
  每年至少去一個你從沒去過的地方。

  If you earn much money,the best way to spend it is on charitable deeds while you are alive;
  如果你賺了很多錢,在活著的時候多行善事,這是你能得到的最好回報;

  Remember,not all the best harvest is luck;
  記住有時候,不是最好的收獲也是一種好運;

  Understand rules completely and change them reasonably;
  深刻理解所有的規則,合理地更新他們;

  Remember,the best love is to love others unconditionally rather than make demands on them;
  記住,最好的愛存在於對別人的愛勝於對別人的索求這上;

  Comment on the success you have attained by looking in the past at the target you wanted to
achieve most;
  回頭看看你發誓取得的目標,然後評價你到底有多成功;

  In love and cooking,you must give 100% effort……but expect little appreciation;
  無論是烹飪不是愛情,都用百分之百的負責態度對待,但是不要乞求太多的回報。


第十八篇:
  A psalm of life
  人生禮頌
  Herry Wadsworth Longfellow/享利.沃茲渥斯.朗費羅

  Tell me not in mournful numbers, 請別用哀傷的詩句對我講;
  Life is but an empty dream! 人生嗬,無非是虛夢一場!
  For the soul is dead that slumbers 因為沉睡的靈魂如死一般,
  And things are not what they seem. 事物的表裏並不一樣。

  Life is real! Life is earnest! 人生是實在的!人生是熱烈的!
  And the grave is not its goal; 人生的目標決不是墳墓;
  Dust thou art , to dust returnest, 你是塵土,應歸於塵土。
  Was not spoken of the soul. 此話指的並不是我們的精神。

  Not enjoyment , and not sorrow, 我們的歸宿並不是快樂,
  Is our destined and our way; 也不是悲傷,
  But to act, 實幹
  That much to-morrow. 才是我們的道路,
  Find us farther than to-day. 每天不斷前進,蒸蒸蒸日上。

  Art is long , and time is fleeting. 光陰易逝,而藝海無涯,
  And our hearts , though stout and brave. 我們的心哪——雖然勇敢堅強,
  Still , like muffled drums , are beating 卻像被布蒙住的銅鼓,
  Funeral marches to the grave。常把殯葬的哀樂擂響。

  In the world’s broad field of battle, 在這人生的宿營地,
  In the bivouac of Life, 在這遼闊的世界戰場,
  Be not like dumb,driven cattle! 別做無言的牲畜任人驅趕,
  Be a hero in the strife! 做一名英雄漢立馬橫槍!

  Trust no future.howe’er pleasant! 別相信未來,哪怕未來多麽歡樂!
  Let the dead Past bury its dead! 讓死去的往昔將死亡一切埋葬!
  Act,act in the living Present! 上帝在上,我們胸懷勇氣,
  Heart within,and God O’erhead! 行動吧———趁現在活著的好時光!

  Lives of great men all remind us 偉人的生平使我們想起,
  We can make our lives sublime, 我們能使自己的一生變得高尚!
  And departing,leave behind us 當我們辭別人間,
  Footprints on the sands of time; 能把足跡留在時間的流沙上,

  Footprints that perhaps another, 也許有個遭了船災的苦難弟兄,
  Sailing o’er life solemn main, 他曾在莊嚴的人生大海中飄航,
  A forlorn and shipwrecked brother, 見到我們的腳印,
  Seeing,shall take heart again, 又會滿懷信心。

  Let us,then,be up and doing, 讓我們起來幹吧,
  With a heart for any fate; 下定決心,不管遭遇怎樣;
  Still achieving,still pursuing 不斷勝利,不斷追求,
  Learn to labour and to wait. 要學會苦幹和耐心等待。


第十九篇:
  Self-Awareness
  自我意識
  Virginia Woolf/弗吉尼亞.吳爾夫

  The man who is aware of himself is henceforth independent; and he is never bored, and life is only too short, and he is steeped through and through with profound yet temperate happiness. He alone lives, while other people, slaves of ceremony, let life slip past time in a kind of dream. Once conform ,once do what other people do finer than they do it, and a lethargy steals over all the finer nerves and faculties of the soul, He becomes all outer show and inward emptiness; dull, callous, and indifferent.
  凡是意識到自我的人從今往後才是獨立的;他永遠不知疲倦,他明白生命苦短,所以完全沉浸於深深的而又適度的幸福之中。他獨立生活,而別人是繁文縟節的奴隸,在醉生夢死之中聽從生命悄然流逝。一旦循規蹈矩,一旦人為亦為,呆滯就籠罩著靈魂中一切靈敏的神經和官能。靈魂變得徒有其表,其中空空;遲鈍,木然、冷漠。


第二十篇:
  The Flight of youth
  青春的飛逝
  Richard Henry Stoddard/理查德.亨利.斯托達德

  There are gains for all our losses. 我們失去的一切都能得到補償,
  There are balms for all our pain; 我們所有的痛苦都能得到安慰;
  But when youth,the dream,departs 可是夢境似的青春一旦消逝,
  It takes something from our hearts, 它帶走了我們心中的某種美好,
  And it never comes again. 從此一去不複返。

  We are stronger, and are better, 我們變得日益剛強、更臻完美,
  Under manhood’s sterner reign; 在嚴峻的成年生活驅使下;
  Still we feel that something sweet 可是依然感到甜美的情感,
  Following youth, with flying feet, 已隨著青春飛逝,
  And will never come again. 不再返回。

  Something beautiful is vanished, 美好已經消逝,
  And we sigh for it in vain; 我們枉自為此歎息;
  We behold it everywhere, 盡管在天地之間,
  On the earth, and in the air, 我們處處能見青春的魅力,
  But it never comes again! 可是它不再返回!


第二十一篇:
  Discovery
  發現
  Diane Ackerman/迪安.阿克曼

  The word “discovery” literally means, uncovering something that’s hidden from view. But what really happens is a change in the viewer. The familiar offers comfort few can resist, and fewer still want to disturb. But as relatively recent inventions such as the telescope and microscope have taught us, the unknown has many layers. Every truth has geological strata, and you can’t have an orthodoxy without a heresy.
  The moment a newborn opens its eyes, discovery begins. I learned this with a laugh one morning after delivering a calf. When it lifted up its fluffy head and looked at me, its eyes held the absolute bewilderment of the newly born. A moment before it had the even black nowhere of the womb, and suddenly its world was full of colour, movement and noise. I’ve never seen anything so shocked to be alive.
  “發現”一詞,字麵上是指揭開某種視線以外的隱藏的事物。不過其實是觀察者自身發生了變化。很少人能抗拒熟悉事物帶來的舒適,願意擾亂這種舒適的人更少。然而,正如望遠鏡、顯微鏡這些較為近期的發明所揭示給我們的,求知事物具有多種層次。每個事實都有地質層次,沒有異端也就無所謂正統。
  新生兒睜開雙眼的那一刻起,發現也就開始了。我是在一天清晨給一頭小牛犢接生的時候突然意識到這一點的,不禁大笑。小牛仰起毛茸茸的腦袋看著我,目光中透出這個新生命對世界的一無所知。片刻這前,它還呆在母體裏某個黑暗而平靜的地方,突然,它的世界變得五光十色,變得活潑而喧鬧。我從未見過任何東西在獲得生命時是如些的驚異。


第二十二篇:
  To all my friends and loved ones
  Love from me
  Useful Perspective
  致朋友們以及我所愛的人們
  這是一份愛的禮物
  也是一席金玉良言
  If the world were a Village of 100 People
  如果世界是個一百人的村落
  David J.Smith/大衛.史密斯Shelath Armstrory/謝拉.阿姆斯壯

  If we could shrink the earth’s population to a village of precisely 100 people, with all the exsting human ratios remaining the same, it would look something like the following:
  如果我們把全世界的人口按照現有壓縮為一個100人的村子,情況就會如同以下:

  There would be:
  57 Asians
  21 Europeans
  10 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
  8 Africans
  這個村子裏有:
  57 人是亞洲人
  21 人是歐洲人
  14 人來自西半球的南、北美洲
  8 人是非洲人

  52 would be female
  48 would be male
  52 人是女性
  48 人是男性

  70 would be non-while
  30 would be white
  70 人是有色人種
  30 人是白人

  70 would be non-christian
  30 would be Christian
  70 人是非基督教徒
  30 人是基督徒

  89 would be heterosexual
  11 would be homosexual
  89 人是異性戀者
  11 人是同性戀者

  6 people would possess 59% of the entire world’s wealth
  and all 6 would be from the United States.
  6 人擁有全世界59%的財富
  而且這6 人全是美國人

  80 would live in substandard housing
  70 would be unable to read
  50 would suffer from malnutrition
  1 would be near death; 1 would be near birth
  80 人的居住環境不達標準
  70 人是文盲
  50 人苦於營養不良
  1 人瀕臨死亡邊緣;1 人正要出生

  1(yes, only 1) would have a college education
  1 would own a computer
  1 人(是的,隻有1人)會接受大學教育
  1 人擁有電腦

  When one considers our world from such a compressed perspective, the need for acceptance, understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.
  透過這個壓縮圖來放眼我們的世界,就會明曉接納他人、諒解以及教育是何等重要。

  The following is also something to ponder……
  再從以下角度來想想看……

  If you woke pup this morning with more health than illness……you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.
  如果你早上醒來的時候健康無恙……那麽,比起活不過這一周的百萬人來說,你真是幸運多了。

  If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture, or the pangs of starvation…you are ahead of 500 million people in the world.
  如果你未曾經曆過戰爭的危險、入獄的孤獨、嚴刑的苦楚、饑餓的痛苦……那麽,比起世界上5億人來,你真是幸運多了。

  If you have food in the refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof overhead and a place to sleep…you are richer than 75% of this world.
  如果你冰箱裏有食物,身上有衣服可穿,有屋篷遮蔽,有地方睡覺……那麽,比起世界上75%的人來,你真是富足多了。

  If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in dish someplace…you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealth.
  如果你銀行中有存款,錢包中也有錢,還能到某處消費習菜……你便躋身在世界上最富有的8%人口當中了。

  If your parents are still alive and still married…you are very rare, even in the United Stated and Canada.
  如果你的父母依然健在,而且還在一起生活的話……這可是非常難得的事,即使是在美國與加拿大。

  Someone once said: What goes around comes around.
  有人說過:我所付出的終將會回歸。

  So…
  Work live you don’t need the money.
  Love like you’ve never been hurt.
  Dance like nobody’s watching.
  Sing like nobody’s listening.
  Live like it’s Heaven on Earth.
  所以……
  去工作時,猶如你不執迷於金錢。
  去愛他人,猶如你從未曾被傷害。
  去舞蹈吧,猶如無人在一旁觀看。
  去歌唱吧,猶如無人在一邊諦聽。
  好好地生活,猶如這裏是人間樂土。


第二十三篇:
  Three Days to See
  假如擁有三天光明
  Helen Keller/海倫.凱勒

  All of us have read thrilling stories in which the hero had only a limited and specified time to live. Sometimes it was as long as a year; sometimes as short as twenty-four hours, but always we were interested in discovering just how the doomed man chose to spend his last days or his last hours. I speak, of course, of free men who have a choice, not condemned criminals whose sphere of activities is strictly delimited.

  Such stories set up thinking, wondering what we should do under similar circumstances. What associations should we crowd into those last hours as mortal beings? What happiness should we find in reviewing the past, what regrets?
  Sometimes I have thought it would be an excellent rule to live each day as if we should die tomorrow. Such an attitude would emphasize sharply the values of life. We should live each day with a gentleness, a vigor, and a keenness of appreciation which are often lost when time stretches before us in the constant panorama of more days and months and years to come. There are those, of course, who would adopt the epicurean motto of “Eat, drink, and be merry,” most people would be chastened by the certainty of impending death.
  我們都讀過這樣一些動人的故事,故事裏主人公將不久於人世。長則一年,短則24小時。但是我們總是很想知道這個即將離開人世的人是決定怎樣度過他最後的日子的。當然,我所指的是有權作出選擇的自由人,不是那些活動範圍受到嚴格限製的死囚。
  這一類故事會使我們思考在類似的處境下,我們自己該做些什麽?在那臨終前的幾個小時裏我們會產生哪些聯想?會有多少欣慰和遺憾呢?
  有時我想,把每天都當作生命的最後一天來度過也不失為一個很好的生命法則。這種人生態度使人非常重視人生的價值。每一天我們都應該以和善的態度、充沛的精力和熱情的欣賞來度過,而這些恰恰是在來日方長時往往被我們忽視的東西。當然,有這樣一些人奉行享樂主義的座右銘——吃喝玩樂,但是大多數人卻不能擺脫死亡來臨的恐懼。
  Most of us take life for granted. We know that one day we must die, but usually we picture that day as far in the future, when we are in buoyant health, death is all but unimaginable. We seldom think of it. The days stretch out in an endless vista. So we go about our petty task, hardly aware of our listless attitude towards life.
  The same lethargy, I am afraid, characterizes the use of our faculties and senses. Only the deaf appreciate hearing, only the blind realize the manifold blessings that lie in sight. Particularly does this observation apply to those who have lost sight and hearing in adult life. But those who have never suffered impairment of sight or hearing seldom make the fullest use of these blessed faculties. Their eyes and ears take in all sights and sound hazily, without concentration, and with little appreciation. It is the same old story of not being grateful for what we conscious of health until we are ill.
  I have often thought it would be a blessing if each human being were stricken blind and deaf for a few days at some time during his early adult life. Darkness would make him more appreciative of sight; silence would teach him the joys of sound. Now and then I have tested my seeing friends to discover what they see. Recently I was
  visited by a very good friend who had just returned from a long walk in the woods, and I asked her what she had observed. “Nothing in particular,” she replied. I might have been incredulous had I not been accustomed to such responses, for long ago I became convinced that the seeing see little.
  我們大多數人認為生命理所當然,我們明白總有一天我們會死去,但是我們常常把這一天看得非常遙遠。當我們身體強壯時,死亡便成了難以相象的事情了。我們很少會考慮它,日子一天天過去,好像沒有盡頭。所以我們為瑣事奔波,並沒有意識到我們對待生活的態度是冷漠的。
  我想我們在運用我們所有五官時恐怕也同樣是冷漠的。隻有聾子才珍惜聽力,隻有盲人才能認識到能見光明的幸運。對於那些成年致盲或失陪的人來說尤其如此。但是那些聽力或視力從未遭受損失的人卻很少充分利用這些幸運的能力,他們對所見所聞不關注、不欣賞。
  這與常說的不失去不懂得珍貴,不生病不知道健康可貴的道理是一樣的。
  我常想如果每一個人在他成年的早些時候,有幾天成為了聾子或瞎子也不失為一件幸事。黑暗將使他更珍惜光明;沉寂將教他知道聲音的樂趣。
  有時我會試探我的非盲的朋友們,想知道他們看見了什麽。最近我的一位非常要好的朋友來看我,她剛剛在樹林裏走了很長時間,我問她看見了什麽。“沒什麽特別的,”她回答說。
  如不是我早已習慣了這樣的回答,我也許不會輕易相信,因為很久以前我就相信了有眼人看不見什麽。
  How was it possible, I asked myself, to walk for an hour through the woods and see nothing worthy of note? I who cannot see find hundreds of things to interest me through mere touch. I feel the delicate symmetry of a leaf. I pass my hands lovingly about the smooth skin of a silver birch, or the rough shaggy bark of a pine. In spring I touch the branches of trees hopefully in search of a bud, the first sign of awakening Nature after her winter’s sleep I feel the delightful, velvety texture of a flower, and discover its remarkable convolutions; and something of the miracle of Nature is revealed to me. Occasionally, if I am very fortunate, I place my hand gently in a small tree and feel the happy quiver of a bird in full song. I am delighted to have cool waters of a brook rush through my open fingers. To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug. To me the pageant of seasons is a thrilling and unending drama, the action of which streams through my finger tips. At times my heart cries out with longing to see all these things. If I can get so much pleasure from mere touch, how much more beauty must be revealed by sight. Yet, those who have eyes apparently see little. The panorama of color and action fill the world is taken for granted. It is human, perhaps, to appreciate little that which we have and to long for that which we have not, but it is a great pity that in the world of light and the gift of sight is used only as mere convenience rather that as a means of adding fullness to life.
  Oh, the things that I should see if I had the power of sight for three days!
  我問自己在樹林中走了一小時,怎麽可能什麽值得注意的東西都沒有看到呢?而我一個盲人僅僅通過觸摸就發現了數以百計的有趣的東西。我感到樹葉的對稱美,用手摸著白樺樹光滑的樹皮或是鬆樹那粗糙的厚厚的樹皮。春天裏我滿懷著希望觸摸著樹枝尋找新芽,那是大自然冬眼後醒來的第一個征象。我感到了花朵的可愛和茸茸的感覺,發現它層層疊疊地綻開著,大自然的神奇展現在我的麵前。當我把手輕輕地放在一棵小樹上,如果幸運的話,偶爾會感到歌唱的小鳥歡快的顫動。我會愉快地讓清涼的溪水從手之間流過。對我來說,滿地厚厚的鬆針和鬆軟的草坪比奢華的波斯地毯更惹人喜愛。對我來說四季變換的景色如同一場動人心魄的不會完結的戲劇,劇中的人物動作從我的指尖流過。我的心不時在呐喊,帶著對光明的渴望。既然僅僅通過觸摸就能使我獲得如此多的喜悅,那麽光明定會展示更多美好的事物啊。可惜的是那些有眼睛的人分明看到很少,整個世界繽紛的色彩和萬物的活動都被認為是理所當然。也許不珍惜已經擁有的,想得到還沒有得到的是人的特點,但是在光明的世界裏隻把視覺用做一種方便的工具,而不是豐富生活的工具,這是令人多麽遺憾的事情啊。
  噢,假如我擁有三天光明,我將會看見多少事物啊!

第二十四篇:
  Genius at Work
  天才在工作

  Henry Ford didn’t always pay attention in school. One day ,he and a friend took a watch apart. Angry and upset, the teacher told him both to stay after school. Their punishment was to stay until they had fixed the watch. But the teacher did not know young Ford’s genius. In ten minutes, this mechanical wizard had repaired the watch and was on this way home..
  Ford was always interested in how things worked. He once plugged up the spout of a teapot and placed it on the fire. Then he waited to see what would happen. The water boiled and, of course, turned to steam. Since the steam had no way to escape, the teapot exploded. The explosion cracked a mirror and broke a window. The young inventor was badly scalded
  Ford’s year of curiosity and tinkering paid off. He dreamed of a horseless carriage. When he built one, the world of transportation was changed forever.
  亨利.福特在學校裏常常心不在焉。有一天,他和一個小朋友把一塊手表拆開了。老師很生氣,讓他們放學後留下來,把表修好才能回家。當時這位老師並不知道小福特的天才。隻用了十分鍾,這位機械奇才就把手表修好,走在回家的路上了。
  福特對各種東西的工作原理總是很感興趣。曾有一次,他把茶壺嘴用東西堵住,然後把茶壺放在火爐上。他便站在一邊等候著會出現什麽情況。當然,水開後變成了水蒸氣。因為水蒸氣無處逸出,茶壺便爆炸了,因而打碎了一麵鏡子和一扇窗戶。這個小發明家也被嚴重地燙傷了。
  多年後,福特的好奇心和他的動手能力使他得到了回報。他曾經夢想著去製造一輛無馬行進的車。他造成了一輛這樣的車後,運輸界發生了永久性的變化。

[ 打印 ]
閱讀 ()評論 (0)
評論
目前還沒有任何評論
登錄後才可評論.