An Audio Guide to Poetry Recitation - 10. "Pied Beauty"

來源: 肖莊 2014-12-25 20:25:19 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2379 bytes)

An Audio Guide to Poetry Recitation - 10. "Pied Beauty"

Audio Download Here

Gerard Manley Hopkins was one of the most experimental, playful and difficult poets ever to write in English. Although hi spoem makes profound sense, what attracts you first is the force of their sound.  Here again is Kay Ryan.

Pied Beauty
by Gerard Manley Hopkins
[Read by Kay Ryan]

Glory be to God for dappled things –
   For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
      For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
   Landscape plotted and pieced – fold, fallow, and plough;
      And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
   Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
      With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
                                Praise him.

[Voice of Kay Ryan] He has these crazy rhymes. He is just an insane rhymer and I just get such a kick out of the stuff he puts in here. I love "fickle freckled" all those beautiful things that  are stuck together. And look at "dapple, stipple, fallow, fickle, freckled", [laughter], a dazzle. [laughter] I mean that is just so funny to me. Partly he is just, he is just, so filled with ecstasy, he is ecstactic that he is laughing and I think his poem is just laughing. Sometimes there is ecstatic with grief, but that is a kind of laughter too. There is a laughter of grief.

所有跟帖: 

風蕭蕭 not 瀟瀟. sough and sigh not whistling and patter -走馬讀人- 給 走馬讀人 發送悄悄話 走馬讀人 的博客首頁 (246 bytes) () 12/26/2014 postreply 04:45:37

老千預防已築牆阻擋,需要用智慧避免上當 2 synonym -走馬讀人- 給 走馬讀人 發送悄悄話 走馬讀人 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/26/2014 postreply 05:44:58

Gerard Manley Hopkins is so good at rhymes. -紫君- 給 紫君 發送悄悄話 紫君 的博客首頁 (6 bytes) () 12/26/2014 postreply 07:06:25

Thanks 肖莊 sharing nice poem and introducing the poet. Have a nic -南山鬆- 給 南山鬆 發送悄悄話 南山鬆 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 12/27/2014 postreply 04:53:54

加跟帖:

• 標題:
  • 內容(可選項): [所見即所得|預覽模式] [HTML源代碼] [如何上傳圖片] [怎樣發視頻] [如何貼音樂]