Harder Than Tongue Twisters

來源: 北京二號 2013-08-29 22:01:09 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (20467 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 北京二號 ] 在 2013-08-29 22:45:24 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

The following practice sets are from Ann Cook's book American Accent Training. I have practiced them for nearly 5 years, on and off. I don't know exactly how many total times I have repeated them, following Cook's demo or on my own. 300? 800? Maybe it's around 500 times. Yet 5 years later, this is about the best I can do. In the audio below, some severely stamming parts are already cut before uploading. I believe this is the most powerful self-esteem destroyer during my whole English learning journey. 再怎麽練,一念這個,立馬打回原形,嗬嗬~~

The first set is Ok for me now, I can do slightly better if I practice a few times before recording. The second set is harder. And the third set is virtually killing me. The phrase, "sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment", is beyond my capability already when I read it separately. Not to mention combining it with other clusters of liaisons among funtion words. They appear one after another, just like roller coasters.

I think it's time for me to put them in mothballs. :-)

(1) Review Exercise 1-38: Consistent Noun Stress in Changing Verb Tenses

erode                    1. The floods erode the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'd zəroud th' mæon(t)nz
eroded                  2. The floods eroded the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'd zəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
are eroding            3. The floods 're eroding the mountains.
                                 th' fl'd zr•rərouding th' mæon(t)nz
will erode               4. The floods 'll erode the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'd zələroud th' mæon(t)nz
would erode           5. The floods 'd erode the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'd zədəroud th' mæon(t)nz
would have             6. The floods 'd've eroded the mountains.
                                 th' fl'd zədəvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
that have                7. The floods thaťve eroded the mountains.
                                 th' fl'd zədəvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
have eroded           8. The floods 've eroded the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'd zəvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
had eroded             9. The floods 'd eroded the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'd zədəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
will have               10. The floods 'll've eroded the mountains.
                                 th' fl'd zələvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
ought to erode      11. The floods ought to erode the mountains.
                                 th' fl'd zädə eeroud th' mæon(t)nz
should erode         12. The floods should erode the mountains.
                                 th' fl'dz shüdəroud th' mæon(t)nz
should not             13. The floods shouldn't erode the mountains.
                                 th' fl'dz shüdn•nəroud th' mæon(t)nz
should've eroded   14. The floods should've eroded the mountains.
                                 th' fl'dz shüdəvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
should not have    15. The floods shouldn't've eroded the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'dz shüdn•nəvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
could erode          16. The floods could erode the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'dz cüdəroud th' mæon(t)nz
could not erode     17. The floods couldn't erode the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'dz cüdn•nəroud th' mæon(t)nz
could have            18. The floods could've eroded the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'dz cüdəvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
could not have      19. The floods couldn'ťve eroded the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'dz cüdn•nəvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
might erode          20. The floods might erode the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'dz mydəroud th' mæon(t)nz
might have            21. The floods mighťve eroded the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'dz mydəvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
must erode           22. The floods must erode the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'dz məsdəroud th' mæon(t)nz
must have             23. The floods musťve eroded the mountains. 
                                 th' fl'dz məsdəvəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz
can erode             24. The floods can erode the mountains. 
                                 the fl'dz kənəroud th' mæon(t)nz
can't erode           25. The floods can't erode the mountains. 
                                 the fl'dz kæn(d)əroud th' mæon(t)nz

(2) With Supporting Words:

1. The floods erode the mountains every day.
th' fləd zəroud th' mæon(t)n zεvree day

2. The floods eroded the mountains for centuries.
th' fləd zəroudəd th' mæon(t)nz fr sen chr•reez

3. The floods're eroding the mountains right now.
th' fləd zr•r'rouding th' mæon(t)nz räit næo

4. The floods'll erode th' mountains if this keeps up.
th' fləd zələroud th' mæon(t)nz if this keep səp

5. The floods'd erode the mountains if this kept up.
th' fləd zədəroud th' mæon(t)nz if this kepdəp

6. The floods' d've eroded th' mountains if it'd kept up.
th' fləd zədəvəroud'd th' mæon(t)nz if id kepdəp

7. The floods thaťve eroded the mountains are over.
th' fləd zədəvəroud'd th' mæon(t)n zr•rovr

8. The floods've eroded the mountains over the years.
th' fləd zəvəroud'd th' mæon(t)n zovr th' yirz

9. The floods'd already eroded the mountains before the last ice age.
th' fləd zədäreddy əroud'd th' mæon(t)nz b'for th' læssdice age

10. The floods'll've totally eroded th' mountains by the next ice age.
th' fləd zələv toudəlee(y)əroud'd th' mæon(t)nz by th' nex dysage

(3) Exercise 11-7: Compound Nouns and Complex Verbs CD 4 Track 44
No matter how complex the verb gets, remember to follow the basic Dogs eat bones intonation,
where you stress the nouns. For the noun intonation, stick with the basic set phrase or description
rule. Let's build up one complex noun for the subject, and another one for the object, starting with
The millionaires were impressed by the equipment.

Subject                                         Object
The millionaires                               the equipment.
The elderly millionaires                    eavesdropping equipment.
The elderly Texas millionaires          electronic eavesdropping equipment.
The two elderly Texas millionaires... sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.
The two elderly Texas millionaires were impressed by the sophisticated electronic
                                                                             eavesdropping equipment.
The two elderly Teksəs millyənair zwerim presst by the səfistəkaydədəlektränik ēvzdräppiŋə kwipmənt.

zərim prest
1. The two elderly Texas millionaires're impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

zwərim prest
2. The two elderly Texas millionaires were impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

zər beeyingim prest
3. At the moment, the two elderly Texas millionaires're being impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

zəl beeyim prest
4. The two elderly Texas millionaires'll be impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

zəd beeyim prest
5. The two elderly Texas millionaires'd be impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment if there were more practical applications for it.

zədəv binim prest
6. The two elderly Texas millionaires'd've been impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment if there had been more practical applications for it.

zədəv bin so im prest
7. The two elderly Texas millionaires thaťve been so impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment are now researching a new program.

zəv binim prest
8. The two elderly Texas millionaires've been impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment for a long time now.

zəd binim prest
9. The two elderly Texas millionaires'd been impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment long before the burglary was thwarted. [thwordəd]

zələv bin thərə lee(y)im prest
10. The two elderly Texas millionaires'll've been thoroughly impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment by the time I've done my presentation.

zädə bee(y)im prest
11. The two elderly Texas millionaires ought to be impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

shüd bee(y)im prest
12. The two elderly Texas millionaires should be impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

shüd•n beetoo(w)im prest
13. The two elderly Texas millionaires shouldn't be too impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

shüdəv binim prest
14. The two elderly Texas millionaires should've been impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

shüdn•nəv bin thæ dim prest
15. Given the circumstances, the two elderly Texas millionaires shouldn'ťve been that impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

cüdee zəlee bee(y)im prest
16. We think that the two elderly Texas millionaires could easily be impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

cüd•n bee(y)im prest
17. No matter what we did, the two elderly Texas millionaires couldn't be impressed by even the most sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment.

cüdəv binim prest
18. The two elderly Texas millionaires could've been impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment, but we're not sure.

cüdn•nəv binim prest
19. The two elderly Texas millionaires couldn'ťve been impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment, because they left after 5 minutes.

myt bee(y)im prest
20. The two elderly Texas millionaires might be impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment this time around.

mydəv binim prest
21. The two elderly Texas millionaires might've been impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment, but they gave no indication one way or the other.

məss bee(y)im prest
22. The two elderly Texas millionaires must be impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment because they are considering a huge order.

məsdəv binim prest
23. The two elderly Texas millionaires must have been impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment because they ordered so much of it.

cən bee(y)im prest
24. The two elderly Texas millionaires can be impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment because they don't know much about surveillance.

cæn(t) bee(y)im prest
25. The two elderly Texas millionaires can't be impressed by the sophisticated electronic eavesdropping equipment because they invented most of the state of the art technology currently available.

所有跟帖: 

PF 不厭其翻 -走馬讀人- 給 走馬讀人 發送悄悄話 走馬讀人 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/30/2013 postreply 05:35:49

真是花了不少的時間和功夫,佩服你的學習精神。 -婉蕠- 給 婉蕠 發送悄悄話 婉蕠 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/30/2013 postreply 06:48:22

This is an excellent material in learning American Accent! Thank -~葉子~- 給 ~葉子~ 發送悄悄話 ~葉子~ 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/30/2013 postreply 10:04:37

北京二號,這是你的朗誦錄音嗎?很標準呢。 -~葉子~- 給 ~葉子~ 發送悄悄話 ~葉子~ 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/30/2013 postreply 10:09:51

Very impressive, cheer you on! 二姐。 -京燕花園- 給 京燕花園 發送悄悄話 京燕花園 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/30/2013 postreply 14:47:51

厲害!就是native speaker也不見得能說這麽快。 -好學又好問- 給 好學又好問 發送悄悄話 好學又好問 的博客首頁 (102 bytes) () 08/30/2013 postreply 16:40:33

哈哈,感謝親友團!:-) -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (325 bytes) () 08/30/2013 postreply 17:53:55

大喘氣是更高級的問題。哈。 -好學又好問- 給 好學又好問 發送悄悄話 好學又好問 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/30/2013 postreply 18:00:35

有道理。 -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (23 bytes) () 08/31/2013 postreply 01:28:46

-Marauders- 給 Marauders 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 08/30/2013 postreply 20:49:42

Exactly. -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (765 bytes) () 08/31/2013 postreply 00:42:31

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”