新概念英語 thirteen equals one 請指教

來源: sam0828 2013-08-29 05:27:30 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (1877 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ sam0828 ] 在 2013-08-29 11:34:00 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.
Lesson 2
Thirteen equals one
十三等於一
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
聽錄音,然後回答以下問題。
Was the vicar pleased that the clock was striking? Why?
Our vicar is always raising money for one cause or another, but he has never managed to get enough money to have the church clock repaired. The big clock which used to strike the hours day and night was damaged many years ago and has been silent ever since.
One night, however, our vicar woke up with a start: the clock was striking the hours! Looking at his watch, he saw that it was one o'clock, but the bell struck thirteen times before it stopped. Armed with a torch, the vicar went up into the clock tower to see what was going on. In the torchlight, he caught sight of a figure whom he immediately recognized as Bill Wilkins, our local grocer.
'Whatever are you doing up here Bill?' asked the vicar in surprise.
'I'm trying to repair the bell,' answered Bill. 'I've been coming up here night after night for weeks now. You see, I was hoping to give you a surprise.'
'You certainly did give me a surprise!' said the vicar. 'You've probably woken up everyone in the village as well. Still, I'm glad the bell is working again.'
That's the trouble, vicar,' answered Bill. 'It's working all right, but I'm afraid that at one o'clock it will strike thirteen times and there's nothing I can do about it."
We'll get used to that, Bill,' said the vicar. "Thirteen is not as good as one, but it's better than nothing. Now let's go downstairs and have a cup of tea.'

所有跟帖: 

有趣的短文,謝Sam朗讀,歡迎常來發帖灌水。 -紫君- 給 紫君 發送悄悄話 紫君 的博客首頁 (739 bytes) () 08/29/2013 postreply 06:25:51

謝謝Sam的分享!歡迎你常來. 歡迎更多的朋友們加入英文朗誦的行列. -~葉子~- 給 ~葉子~ 發送悄悄話 ~葉子~ 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/29/2013 postreply 14:43:20

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”