Katie Couric The Best Advice I Ever Got, Part 18

來源: 2msmom 2013-06-20 07:25:30 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2184 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 2msmom ] 在 2013-06-20 16:12:58 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

歡迎多多批評指正

Part 2 The Bank of Experience

On Hard Work and Tenacity

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.
                                                                                     --- Thomas Jefferson

In April of 2009, I had the privilege of interviewing Captain Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, the pilot who landed that incapacitated US Airways flight on the Hudson River after geese had knocked out both engines. Sully's split-second judgment and calm demeanor that winter day saved all on hundred fifty-five passengers and crew members on board. While his story is about grace under pressure, it's also about the value of hard work and the importance of logging enough hours that the expertise you've built up almost goes on autopilot. “For forty two years,” he told me, “I've been making small,regular deposits in this bank of experience. And on January 15th the balance was sufficient so that I could make a sudden, large withdrawal.”

Success really is ten percent inspiration and ninety percent perspiration. As Malcolm Gladwell wrote in his now famous book Outliers, to truly master something you need to spend at least ten thousand hours doing it. One example he cites: The Fab Four. The Beatles might have seemed like an overnight sensation, but they had played together more than a thousand times before that famous appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show back in 1964. For them, it really was a hard day's night – night after night after night for years! Bill Gates's birthday set him up perfectly for the technical revolution that was taking hold in this country, but good timing wasn't everything. He dropped out of Harvard and spent every waking moment building and understanding computer codes.

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”