Katie Couric 2012 Commencement, 第六部分

來源: 2msmom 2012-10-08 07:50:43 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2990 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 2msmom ] 在 2012-10-08 08:50:19 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic

歡迎大家批評指正.

I made coffee. I made Xeroxes. I also made friends with a lot people I still know today. On my first day, Sam Donaldson,then the White House correspondent, leapt on my desk and sang at the top of his lungs, “K-K-K Katie!!!”in front of the entire newsroom.

It was a little embarrassing, yet strangely exciting. Imagine if I hadn’t had the moxie to call Davey Newman!

But there’s another lesson in that story as well: Don’t look for jobs…look for people. The good news for the Class of 2012 is the job market HAS improved slightly and employers say they’ll be hiring more recent grads this year than they did in 2011. But the outlook is far from rosy, and it takes a lot more than a profile on Linked In…to get hooked up, in the old fashion sense of the term.

In fact, sometimes you can feel lost in cyberspace…like your resume has been swallowed up in some big black hole.

Despite all the online job boards and Monster dot coms of the world…most jobs are still found the old fashioned way…by meeting people and building relationships.

So followup with a phone call. Ask if you can come in, even for an informational interview. Do your homework…find out the name of an actual, live person who makes hiring decisions and email him or her. Do you risk looking like a stalker? Perhaps. But when you're competing against hundreds…even thousands…doing nothing will get you, well, nothing.

But here's another thing you need to know about risk: the end result may not be pretty. As Mick Jagger sang, “You can’t always get what you want.” That’s where the next “R” word comes in…Rejection.

There will be times in life when people are…how can I say this … just not that into you.

About a year into my first gig, I decided to leave ABC and head to a fledgling start-up known as CNN, or as my snobby network news colleagues called it, Chicken Noodle News. There I would work as a producer and get my first crack at reporting. At the White House no less, because that’s the perfect beat for someone with absolutely no experience.

I stayed up all night practicing in front of the mirror speaking slowly and deliverately into my hairbrush. It was VERY Jan Brady. My assignment was to preview the President's schedule for the day.

所有跟帖: 

謝朗讀。 -祤湫霖- 給 祤湫霖 發送悄悄話 祤湫霖 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/08/2012 postreply 12:00:17

讀得好! -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (281 bytes) () 10/08/2012 postreply 20:00:26

謝謝文青,收藏了。 -2msmom- 給 2msmom 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/10/2012 postreply 19:55:37

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”