跟竹馬後麵讀兩段The Great Gatsby,歡迎拍磚討論

來源: 非文學青年 2012-09-06 17:31:45 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2276 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 非文學青年 ] 在 2012-09-07 13:59:11 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

毛病多多,請多指導,謝謝!

This responsiveness had nothing to do with that flabby impressionability which is dignified under the name of the ‘creative temperament’— it was an extraordinary gift for hope, a romantic readiness such as I have never found in any other person and which it is not likely I shall ever find again. No—Gat*****y turned out all right at the end; it is what preyed on Gat*****y, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short- winded elations of men.

My family have been prominent, well-to-do people in this middle-western city for three generations. The Carraways are something of a clan and we have a tradition that we’re descended from the Dukes of Buccleuch, but the actual founder of my line was my grandfather’s brother who came here in fifty-one, sent a substitute to the Civil War and started the wholesale hardware business that my father carries on today.

I never saw this great-uncle but I’m supposed to look like him—with special reference to the rather hard-boiled painting that hangs in Father’s office. I graduated from New Haven in 1915, just a quarter of a century after my father, and a little later I participated in that delayed Teutonic migration known as the Great War. I enjoyed the counter-raid so thoroughly that I came back restless. Instead of being the warm center of the world the middle-west now seemed like the ragged edge of the universe—so I decided to go east and learn the bond business. Everybody I knew was in the bond business so I supposed it could support one more single man. All my aunts and uncles talked it over as if they were choosing a prep-school for me and finally said, ‘Why—ye- es’ with very grave, hesitant faces. Father agreed to finance me for a year and after various delays I came east, permanently, I thought, in the spring of twenty-two.

所有跟帖: 

Pretty good. One slip-up: -jingbeiboy- 給 jingbeiboy 發送悄悄話 jingbeiboy 的博客首頁 (251 bytes) () 09/06/2012 postreply 19:13:26

讀得好,很清晰。 -EnLearner- 給 EnLearner 發送悄悄話 EnLearner 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/06/2012 postreply 20:21:48

回複:跟竹馬後麵讀兩段The Great Gatsby,歡迎拍磚討論 -truth_lover99- 給 truth_lover99 發送悄悄話 (50 bytes) () 09/07/2012 postreply 02:11:59

一並謝謝樓上同學! -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/07/2012 postreply 07:23:47

Very nicely done. -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (38 bytes) () 09/07/2012 postreply 09:45:52

謝謝二姐鼓勵!下一步還得堅持讀。 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/07/2012 postreply 10:06:34

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”