回複:受不了你們了,一群鴨子!我這閉關修煉的連耳朵也得不到清淨!哈哈

來源: newton123 2011-07-01 08:15:51 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (20040 bytes)

Thank you all. I am still here. I understand that you guys hope me to get involved more. I hope I have more time too.

I enjoy the atmosphere here. I can always find something new and interesting. Learning a foreign language is a hard work in most cases. But in the American English forum, it becomes an enjoyable activity. There are so many eager learners that encourage each other and help each other. On the other hand, I feel I need an intense training so we may master this language earlier.

Translation is an active learning process. If you are able to translate English into Chinese or Chinese to English accurately, you succeed. In the time of Southwestern United University, shortage of textbooks was very common. Students in English department tried translating a classic novel many times from E to C then from C to E. We may find a lot practices like this.

Last time when I proposed the new translation plan, I might wrongly estimate the pace here. I am going to do more than just finishing homework. Last Friday I actually finished my translation and I wanted to the response. I am happy we have so many earnest learners.

The following is my homework. I just compared it with original text. I know there are a lot to learn. However, to have more classmates involved in this process, I will put out only my work today. The original text will be out tomorrow as suggested. As what I wrote before, you are always welcome to point out the mistakes in my writing, no matter the errors are logical, structure, grammar, spelling, usages or anything you can talk.

一定有無數的美國人也對他們的長相感到有一種疏離感,但每個人的原因卻又各不相同。舉個例子,我是韓國移民的後裔,但我卻不會說我父母的母語(即韓語)。我也從來沒有用諸如大哥大姐等恰當的敬語來稱呼我的長輩們。我沒跟韓國女性約過會,甚至連個韓國朋友都沒有。雖然我的身份是移民,我卻從來沒有想過像一個移民那樣努力地奮鬥。
There must be numerous Americas that have sort of strange feeling about their faces, but the causes may vary. Take me as an example. I am a son of a Korean immigrate, but I am unable to speak the mother language of my parents. I never call my cousins using a well suited title like “big brother” or “big sister”. I have not dated any Korean lady. I even do not have a Korean friend. In spite of being an immigrant, I never have a thought to strive as hard as an immigrant.
我是亞裔美國人,用帶點嘲弄意味的說法就是香蕉或者奶油蛋糕(外黃內白)。雖然我並不認為一個人的種族出身就會決定他的一切,但我相信對各個種族的成見已經深深地植入了我們的思想裏,我們靠它來區分在茫茫人海中遇到的不同麵孔。盡管在很多方麵,我已經沒了什麽亞洲人的特點,但我確實長著一張亞洲人的臉。
I am an Asian America, a banana or a cream cake as called in a funny way (yellow on the outside and white on the inside). I do not believe that one’s future is determined by his origin, but I agree that the prejudices on the origin of different ethnic groups have deeply rooted in our mind, on which we base our judgments of different faces in the sea of people. Though I have probably lost a lot of features of Asian characteristics, I keep an Asian face.  

我有時懷疑我的長相對於其他美國人來說,相當有代表性,就像一個長著大眾臉的隱形人,一個站在人群裏很顯眼但毫無個性的人,一個美國文化表麵上十分推崇而實際上卻鄙視並剝削的形象。我們不隻是那些數學學得很好和會拉小提琴的人,而且是一大群憋屈的要死,壓迫的不行,被虐的快殘了的那些循規蹈矩的半機器人,對社會和文化根本就沒什麽影響力可言。
I sometimes doubt that my face is quite representative with respect to other Americans, just like an invisible subject, an individual standing among a crowd but with no personality, an image apparently admired but actually despicable and being exploited. We are not only those that are good at mathematics and piano, but also a group of mistreated, obsessed and worn off semi-robot that observe given conventions, of no influence on the society and culture.

對於上述種種成見,我總在兩種想法間搖擺不定:一方麵,僅僅因為相貌就將我或者其他任何人對號入座成這樣的半機器人,這讓我覺得受到了冒犯。但另一方麵,我自己確實也發現了不少這樣的亞洲人。

For the above mentioned prejudices, I have two ideas staggered: on one hand, I feel offended being cataloged into the group of semi-robot just because of the face. On the other hand, I do find out there are a lot of such Asians.

我來概括一下我對亞洲人價值觀的感覺:去他的孝道,去他的好好學習天天向上,去他的非常春藤盟校不進,去他的尊重權威,去他的謙遜努力,去他的和睦關係,去他的為了未來犧牲現在,去他的虔誠努力的中產階級奴性。
Let me summarize my feeling about an Asian’s value: filial piety, studying well, Evergreen ivys, respect to the authority, humble and industrial, harmonic relationship, sacrifice of present for future, and striving for slave-like middle class.

Original version for paragraph 4,5,6

Here is what I sometimes suspect my face signifies to other Americans: an invisible person, barely distinguishable from a mass of faces that resemble it. A conspicuous person standing apart from the crowd and yet devoid of any individuality. An icon of so much that the culture pretends to honor but that it in fact patronizes and exploits. Not just people “who are good at math” and play the violin, but a mass of stifled, repressed, abused, conformist quasi-robots who simply do not matter, socially or culturally.

I’ve always been of two minds about this sequence of stereotypes. On the one hand, it offends me greatly that anyone would think to apply them to me, or to anyone else, simply on the basis of facial characteristics. On the other hand, it also seems to me that there are a lot of Asian people to whom they apply.

Let me summarize my feelings toward Asian values: Fuck filial piety. Fuck grade-grubbing. Fuck Ivy League mania. Fuck deference to authority. Fuck humility and hard work. Fuck harmonious relations. Fuck sacrificing for the future. Fuck earnest, striving middle-class servility.

The translation does not have to go one-way. However, some version is better than others. This paper by Wesley Yang might not be the best article, but it is well written. The red color I marked shows the difference from my work. The original version is concise and decent. We may not always agree with the author in every aspect, but there is one thing for sure that his English is flawless. I found the Chinese translation is also excellent. Let us work hard to improve our English.

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”