回複:Would anyone be interested in

來源: 斕婷 2011-02-03 22:51:44 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (9070 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 斕婷 ] 在 2011-02-04 04:11:15 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.
回答: Would anyone be interested inselfselfself2011-02-03 16:46:24
Here is the transcript link for the BBC Sitcom [Yes Prime Minister]:

http://www.yes-minister.com/ypmseas1a.htm

YPM 1.2
- The Ministerial Broadcast

First airtime BBC: 16 January 1986
Length: 30 minutes

http://bbs.wenxuecity.com/yingwendianying/92814.html

Plot: Jim Hacker has just returned from his visit to the American President in Washington. While the PM is suffering from jet-lag (in other words: sleeping), Bernard Woolley is briefed by Sir Humphrey to stop the PM from announcing his Grand Design (canceling Trident and reintroducing conscription) in his first television broadcast.
Hacker invites his Press Secretary Malcolm Warren to discuss his first television appearance as Prime Minister. They decide the best thing will be Jim Hacker talking into the camera. Since Hacker has little experience with this, Malcolm will set up a practice session. Malcolm wants to know what the broadcast is going to be about. At first, Jim Hacker wants to talk about the usual vague stuff (better tomorrow, gear towards the future, tighten our belts, etc.), but then he remembers his Grand Design. Bernard calls Sir Humphrey to inform him of Hacker's plans and Sir Humphrey immediately rushes over to the PM. Sir Humphrey strongly advises Hacker not to mention the Grand Design, since it first has to be discussed in the Overseas Policy and Defence Committee. Jim Hacker however first wants to put his Grand Design before the House and Cabinet and then announce it in his broadcast.

The practice session for the ministerial broadcast turns out to be a learning experience for Jim Hacker. Godfrey, the television producer, gives him all sort of advise on how to sit, what clothes to wear, the way he should talk, etc. At the same time, Bernard is trying to change the text for the broadcast so it does not say anything about canceling Trident. Godfrey mentions that in that case Jim Hacker should wear a modern suit and the background should be yellow wallpaper, abstract paintings and Stravinsky as opening music. In fact, everything to disguise the fact that the speech contains nothing new. If on the other hand Hacker will talk about the Grand Design then he should wear a dark suit and the reassuring traditional background (oak paneling, leather volumes and 18th century portraits). The opening music would then be Bach.

Bernard goes to see Sir Humphrey and tells him that Hacker is planning to announce his Grand Design in the broadcast. The PM thinks it will be a vote-winner because a Party poll has shown that 64% of the population are in favour of reintroducing conscription. Sir Humphrey advises Bernard to issue another poll to show the majority of the population is against reintroducing conscription. Bernard wonders how this can be done and Sir Humphrey explains it (see Quote 1.). Sir Humphrey will make sure all the Permanent Secretaries will brief their Ministers to oppose the Grand Design.
After the Cabinet meeting where the Grand Design is discussed Jim Hacker is rather puzzled by the outcome. All his Cabinet colleagues who were previously in favour of it, now all seemed against it. The Foreign Secretary was talking about how it could look as appeasing the Soviets. The Defence Secretary was saying that Britain should have the best and Trident is the best. And the Employment Secretary was raving about how conscription will let an army of trained killers loose on the streets.

Sir Humphrey advises Hacker not to announce his Grand Design in the television broadcast. Bernard gives Hacker the results of the latest poll that shows that 73% of the population are against conscription. Hacker now thinks it is best not to refer to the Grand Design in the speech. So it is going to be the very modern suit, yellow wallpaper, abstract paintings....and Stravinsky.

Top 5 Quotes

1. Sir Humphrey: "You know what happens: nice young lady comes up to you. Obviously you want to create a good impression, you don't want to look a fool, do you? So she starts asking you some questions: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the number of young people without jobs?"
    Bernard Woolley: "Yes"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a lack of discipline in our Comprehensive schools?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think young people welcome some authority and leadership in their lives?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think they respond to a challenge?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?"
    Bernard Woolley: "Oh...well, I suppose I might be."
    Sir Humphrey: "Yes or no?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Of course you would, Bernard. After all you told you can't say no to that. So they don't mention the first five questions and they publish the last one."
    Bernard Woolley: "Is that really what they do?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Well, not the reputable ones no, but there aren't many of those. So alternatively the young lady can get the opposite result."
    Bernard Woolley: "How?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the growth of armaments?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think it is wrong to force people to take up arms against their will?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you oppose the reintroduction of National Service?"
    Sir Humphrey: "There you are, you see Bernard. The perfect balanced sample."

2. Sir Humphrey: "It's clear that the Committee has agreed that your new policy is really an excellent plan. But in view of the doubts being expressed, may I propose that I recall that after careful consideration, the considered view of the Committee was that, while they considered that the proposal met with broad approval in principle, that some of the principles were sufficiently fundamental in principle, and some of the considerations so complex and finely balanced in practice that in principle it was proposed that the sensible and prudent practice would be to submit the proposal for more detailed consideration, laying stress on the essential continuity of the new proposal with existing principles, the principal of the principal arguments which the proposal proposes and propounds for their approval. In principle."

3. Godfrey: "Will you be wearing those glasses?" [during the television broadcast]
    Jim Hacker: "Oh, what do you think?"
    Godfrey: "Well, it's up to you, obviously. With them on you look authoritative and commanding. With them off you look honest and open. Which do you want?"
    Jim Hacker: "Well, I want to look authoritative and honest."
    Godfrey: "It's one or the other, really."
    Jim Hacker: "What about starting with them off and then putting them on while I am talking?"
    Godfrey: "That just looks indecisive."
    Jim Hacker: "Oh, I see."
    Bernard Woolley: "What about a monocle?"

4. Sir Humphrey: "Bernard, what is the purpose of our defence policy?"
    Bernard Woolley: "To defend Britain."
    Sir Humphrey: "No, Bernard. It is to make people believe Britain is defended."
    Bernard Woolley: "The Russians?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Not the Russians, the British! The Russians know it is not."

5. Jim Hacker: "Humphrey, who is it who has the last word about the government of Britain? The British Cabinet or the American President?"
    Sir Humphrey: "You know that is a fascinating question. We often discuss it."
    Jim Hacker: "And what conclusion have you arrived at?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Well, I must admit to be a bit of a heretic. I think it is the British Cabinet. But I know I am in the minority.

所有跟帖: 

Great, many thanks -selfselfself- 給 selfselfself 發送悄悄話 selfselfself 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 02/04/2011 postreply 07:39:05

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”