Learn an Idiom: My Two Cents

來源: 衝浪潛水員 2015-03-12 00:03:08 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2773 bytes)
I've heard the idiom "my two cents" used in a few different contexts and noticed that its exact meaning changed accordingly. Finally, I looked it up in Wikipedia today and found a very thorough introduction, which I share with friends on this forum by pasting it at the end of this post. I guess I should be satisfied if my contribution is recognized as Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V, nothing else :)

Surfer_Diver

PS: Here is the introduction paragraph to the entry "My two cents" from Wikipedia:

"My two cents" (2¢) and its longer version "put my two cents in" is a United States (US) idiomatic expression,[1] taken from the original English idiom expression: to put in "my two pennies worth" or "my two-penn'orth." It is used to preface the tentative stating of one’s opinion. By deprecating the opinion to follow – suggesting its value is only two cents, a very small amount – the user of the phrase hopes to lessen the impact of a possibly contentious statement, showing politeness and humility. However, it is also sometimes used with irony when expressing a strongly felt opinion. The phrase is also used out of habit to preface uncontentious opinions. For example:

"If I may put my two cents in, that hat doesn't do you any favors." (More polite way of saying, for example: That hat is ugly.) An example of the shortened version: "My two cents is that you should sell that stock now."

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

My two cents, I use it quite often. Thank you for your explanati -~葉子~- 給 ~葉子~ 發送悄悄話 ~葉子~ 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/12/2015 postreply 16:22:47

Thanks Surfer_Diver for sharing, have a nice evening:) -南山鬆- 給 南山鬆 發送悄悄話 南山鬆 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/12/2015 postreply 19:00:29

Very useful. Learned. -肖莊- 給 肖莊 發送悄悄話 肖莊 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/12/2015 postreply 21:17:20

加跟帖:

• 標題:
  • 內容(可選項): [所見即所得|預覽模式] [HTML源代碼] [如何上傳圖片] [怎樣發視頻] [如何貼音樂]