geeks vs. nerds

來源: SnowFallingOnWater 2014-06-25 09:55:45 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (4461 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ SnowFallingOnWater ] 在 2014-06-25 10:38:23 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

Do you know the difference between “geeks” and “nerds”? If somebody calls you a geek, does he mean in a good way? I am a programmer. As you can imagine, I hear quite often that people commenting us as “nerds” or “geeks”, however, they do, in the end, say that I don’t look like a nerd. I take it as a compliment ;-), but can’t help wondering: what exactly geeks and nerds mean. 

Simply put,

A geek is generally knowledgeable, even to a point of obsession, about one particular topic. When you talk to a geek, he or she may appear as an expert in certain fields and they seem social until you hit the subject which he or she is fascinated (or obsessed). Then they will explain to you how exactly Lord of rings story is, or if you disagree, they might try to convince you until you decide to let him win the argument (note: I say this because I had experience dealing with geeks).

A nerd is usually an irritating, unattractive person who may be brilliant, but who chooses to focus on non-social pursuits. They are normally very knowledgeable but are shy to express themselves. 

By the way, I don’t know why they always assume geeks and nerds wear glasses (wink, wink…….)

The diagram below gives a better idea of what geeks, nerds and dorks are.

Difference 1: Communications

** Geeks use obscure references abundantly.

** Nerds love using jargon or unfamiliar terminology.

** examples: when talking about the sound effects in filming industry, a nerds will say: “That's an overused Foley. The SD must be lazy.” (note: foely=sound effects, SD=sound developer).  A geek will say: “Oh! I love how Peter Jackson uses the Wilhelm Scream in every movie!”. (They are talking about the same thing.)

Difference 2: Social skills

** Geeks have normal social skills, though they could be prone to being pretentious and long-winded, especially if the topic lands on their particular passion.

** Nerds are in general introverted. They may have a lot of knowledge but not comfortable to talk with people.

Difference 3: Interests

** Geeks may enjoy board games, film(and may follow directors, composers, or key grips obsessively), tech gadgets, hacking and techno music. Geeks tend to be more interested in brands, such as Apple, and technologies such as Linux.

** Nerds tend to enjoy solitary pursuits such as programming or games like chess.

Difference 4: work place

In IT departments, you can find geeks in artistic jobs like web design, graphic design, or game designs,  vs. nerds to be working as a rocket scientist, or programming the software (I’m unfortunately falling into this category ), or engineers.

A bit history of the two terms:

** Geeks:  Back in the early 1900s, when traveling carnivals were popular, there was a performer called the "geek." His job was to perform bizarre and disgusting acts for the amusement of the locals. Notably, this included biting the heads off live chickens

** The word "nerd" was started on in 1954, by a young doctor by the name of Seuss, in a line that read, "A nerkle, a nerd, and a seersucker too!" If you don't wish to call somebody so trite a word as "nerd," you can also call them a "seersucker”.

Summary:  There is never an absolute clear line between Geeks and nerds. Sometimes people would laugh at them because they are easily spotted and appeared as social inadequacy, but I respect them as they may have the knowledge that you and I may not have.

Now, do you know the difference between the two? Here is a question for you: Is Dr. Sheldon Cooper (from TV show The Big Bang Theory)  a geek or a nerd?

所有跟帖: 

請多提意見,有用詞不當或語法的錯誤請指出來。謝謝! -SnowFallingOnWater- 給 SnowFallingOnWater 發送悄悄話 SnowFallingOnWater 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2014 postreply 09:56:28

very well written! Sheldon is a cute nerd according to your defi -好學又好問- 給 好學又好問 發送悄悄話 好學又好問 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2014 postreply 10:34:45

Hahaa...thanks! He is my favourite character in the show -SnowFallingOnWater- 給 SnowFallingOnWater 發送悄悄話 SnowFallingOnWater 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2014 postreply 10:35:45

Thanks for reading! Your poems are impressive! -SnowFallingOnWater- 給 SnowFallingOnWater 發送悄悄話 SnowFallingOnWater 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2014 postreply 11:37:00

Nice article about nerd & geek.Our kids sang white and nerdy at -京燕花園- 給 京燕花園 發送悄悄話 京燕花園 的博客首頁 (114 bytes) () 06/25/2014 postreply 11:24:29

white and nerdy? Is that a song? Thanks 京燕 for liking it! -SnowFallingOnWater- 給 SnowFallingOnWater 發送悄悄話 SnowFallingOnWater 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2014 postreply 11:39:08

Yes it is a funny song,here it is -京燕花園- 給 京燕花園 發送悄悄話 京燕花園 的博客首頁 (271 bytes) () 06/25/2014 postreply 17:03:37

hahaa...hilarious! I gonna send it to all my nerdy friends -SnowFallingOnWater- 給 SnowFallingOnWater 發送悄悄話 SnowFallingOnWater 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/25/2014 postreply 18:28:31

Here is an old article about their show -京燕花園- 給 京燕花園 發送悄悄話 京燕花園 的博客首頁 (146 bytes) () 06/26/2014 postreply 05:26:12

Now I know the differences between geeks & nerds. Thanks. -紫君- 給 紫君 發送悄悄話 紫君 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/28/2014 postreply 17:34:49

加跟帖:

• 標題:
  • 內容(可選項): [所見即所得|預覽模式] [HTML源代碼] [如何上傳圖片] [怎樣發視頻] [如何貼音樂]