22歲女性博客:我從不想要孩子!【圖】

來源: 作舟 2015-03-03 11:03:10 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (19418 bytes)

作舟攝影

傳統觀念、生活方式、性別歧視、個人自由選擇、評判與指責等不是傳統東方”儒家“社會的專利。西方女性給人的印象似乎很自由自在,但她們同樣受到來自周遭的各種評判和指手畫腳。關於“生孩子是否對每一個人都是必須的”之類的話題,在傳統社會裏,價值觀和人生哲學早已將女性角色固定在了古老的定義之中。但是,人類的進化不是隻從生存本能、政治科技等方麵體現的。人類的進化是和人對生活方式、生命意義等的抉擇和維護這樣的抉擇的權力與自由中體現的。

今天,女性對繁衍後代的思考不再僅是對原始價值觀(繁衍後代來維持人種的繼續),而是從更個人、跟客觀的角度分析個人的生活方式與自由選擇是現代人基本的價值觀之一,更不應該被所謂“大多數世俗的觀念”所歧視。年僅22歲的傑西卡博恩妮爾在最新的博客裏大膽而理性地抒發了自己的“誓言”,引發了很多女性讀者的共鳴。

我很喜歡她的英文行文與自己的聲音,融合“正反”不同的觀點,不卑不亢,不誇張,更不煽情,完全是我書我心,直接而又十分的知性。

I don't Want Children -- Ever!

I am about to tell you something that may shock you. Are you ready? Are you sitting down? Okay.

I do not want children.

Now let me be clear, it's not that I don't want children right now. It's not that I don't want children until after I'm married, or after I've paid off my student loan debt, or after I've bought a house. There is no caveat to this statement.

I do not want children ever.

If I'm being totally honest, that's largely because I don't like children. I'm not good with them. I have spent my whole life as an only child and have utterly loved every minute of being sibling-less. I could be the poster girl for only child syndrome: spoiled, achievement-oriented, impatient, etc. And as such, I don't really have a ton of experience with children. I've never even held a baby (and no, I don't want to hold yours, thanks for asking). And so, I'm extremely awkward around them. I have no idea how to interact with a child younger than 12. Children are a mystery to me.

My only child-ness has also made me equal parts introverted and selfish. This is, admittedly, not a great combination if you have to sacrifice your own needs and want to constantly care for another, smaller human being who can't fend for itself yet. And I have no desire to change these things about myself. It's who I am, and I like who I am. I like the life I have and the childless life I envision for myself in the future.

Now, none of this is meant to be a knock against folks who do want children. If that's what you want to do, then you should do it. Parenthood is a phenomenal thing that makes so many feel fulfilled and happy. And that's great, but it's not for everyone.

We live in a society -- in a world, really -- where it is assumed that the default desire of women is to have children. Producing offspring is supposedly so hardwired into not only who a woman is, but also who she is supposed to be, so that if she doesn't want to have kids, there must be something wrong with her. She has deviated from the societal norm regarding what is expected of her, and therefore she's defective. She's less than other women who do wish to take advantage of their reproductive systems. Or she is, simply, wrong about what she wants. She clearly does not know her own mind, and if given enough time (and, perhaps, enough patronizing lectures about how a "real" woman is naturally supposed to want children) she will change it. And if you think I am being hyperbolic about any of this, you have clearly never been a woman who has expressed a desire to remain child-free out loud. Believe me, I have encountered all of this rhetoric at one time or another.

There are, rather obviously, a number of things wrong with these stereotypical notions of who women should be and what they should want (thanks, patriarchy). I am convinced that there are few things more frustrating in this world than expressing how you feel, and then being told you are, actually, incorrect. The response I've been given the most often when I tell someone I don't want kids is immediately "Oh, you're young. You'll change your mind." Full disclosure: I'm 22. And yes, I'm still young, but that doesn't automatically mean I'm incapable of coming to a mature, well-reasoned conclusion about who I am and what I want for my life, you know what I'm saying? The casual dismissal of something you know to be absolutely true about yourself is infuriating at best, and dehumanizing at worst. Let us also acknowledge not only the vast amount of sexism contained within these ideas, but also the cissexism embedded in them as well. Not all women can have children, and not all people who can have children are women. Gender stereotypes like these end up being all the more harmful because they refuse to operate outside of a binary that winds up being exclusionary to the many folks who don't neatly fit into it.

Throughout my teenage years and now into my early twenties, as I became more and more certain about wanting to remain childless, I unwittingly internalized a lot of these ideas about who I was supposed to be as a woman, and what I was supposed to be wanting and feeling. There's all this talk about maternal instincts women of childbearing age feel and how they begin yearning to start a family. I wasn't feeling anything of the sort. I recoiled inside at the thought of having a child instead of being filled with this warm, wistful glow. I didn't understand. What was wrong with me?

Then, about a year ago, I slowly began to come around to a surprising revelation:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with me.

I do not want to have children, and that's okay. As it turns out, not wanting kids will absolutely not make me "less" of a woman. I am not defective. I am not wrong. I know my own mind. I have intrinsic value as a singular, autonomous person, and that value is not contingent upon me using my body to produce another person. Wanting to be child-free does not make me any better or worse of a human being than any other person who does choose to have children. It's just a choice I've made about my own life. It's no less valid a choice than the choice to become a mother. And that, to me, gets at the real heart of feminism: being granted the freedom to make choices for myself without judgment.

Now, if you happen to know any good cats that need homes, call me. I'm positively nuts about cats.

This post originally appeared on Femsplain.com.

--

Jessica Burnell works for a think tank in Washington, D.C. She enjoys yoga, ranting about the patriarchy, obsessing over her cat, Alex, and constantly re-watching The West Wing.

注:

Cissexism: “順性別主義”,由 Cisgender(順性別)衍生而來。“順性人”是指“自然性別”的人以自然,或天生的性別而生活的人,如出生時是女孩兒,而且一生都是以“女性”的(生理、心理)特征生活與標簽的人。

由於“性”的區分不再是“男女”那麽簡單,比如變性人與雙性人等。女權主義人士在維護“弱勢人群”的過程裏,將現代人的性別區分進一步科學地劃分開來。

更多時事文章:

穀開來的“情殺”連環案【視頻】l

懷揣外國護照的中國反美名人及其後代(組圖)l

司馬南: 反美是工作,去美國是生活l

今天的中國人擁有當年黑奴一半的自由
(圖)l

五毛初級培訓教材 腦-殘-迷-魂文法綜合
l

中國最荒淫的男人不是黨的幹部,是他們!
組圖

茅於軾反擊:歡迎上法庭 最後受審的將是毛澤東!(組圖)

l今天的中國人擁有當年黑奴一半的自由(圖)

l溫家寶的女翻譯不是美女 英文馬馬虎虎(圖)

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

美國現在時興給30-35歲的沒孩子的婦女的生日賀卡上寫 -abookl- 給 abookl 發送悄悄話 (152 bytes) () 03/03/2015 postreply 13:46:59

Scary! -衝浪潛水員- 給 衝浪潛水員 發送悄悄話 衝浪潛水員 的博客首頁 (15 bytes) () 03/04/2015 postreply 01:33:29

問候久違的作舟,祝羊年快樂。你的攝影真棒,夢幻般的光影和色彩,富有動感的畫麵。 -斯葭- 給 斯葭 發送悄悄話 斯葭 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/04/2015 postreply 21:50:52

加跟帖:

• 標題:
  • 內容(可選項): [所見即所得|預覽模式] [HTML源代碼] [如何上傳圖片] [怎樣發視頻] [如何貼音樂]
回到頂部