The answer is ((A-C)(B-C))/C

來源: AnaZhang 2010-05-18 19:07:26 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (1410 bytes)
While it is not possible to find an exact answer, it is possible to find the best approximation. This is the method that many biologists use to estimate the population of a given animal in a given area. In fact, the animal analogy is very apt.

Imagine that a biologist randomly catches A animals and puts tags on all of them. Then, the biologist releases all of them. Assuming no animals breed, die, enter, or leave, the population will remain constant. Later, the biologist randomly catches B animals. This simulates the fact that John and David worked independently, since both catches were completely random and came from the same set. The biologist notices that of the B animals that he has just caught, C of them have the tags that he put on last time. The ratio of B to C is equal to the ratio of the total animal population (T) to A; in short, B/C=T/A. Ergo, T=(AB)/C. Normally, the biologist would be done here, but we have to do a little more manipulation.

Let's come back to the original problem: (AB)/C is the best estimate for the total number of errors. Between John and David, they caught A+B-C mistakes. The number of mistakes they did not catch would obviously be (AB)/C-(A+B-C). We could finish here.

However, further mathematical manipulation resolves to (AB-AC-BC+CC)/C. By factoring, we get (A(B-C)-C(B-C))/C, which factors again to our elegant answer, ((A-C)(B-C))/C.

所有跟帖: 

回複:The answer is ((A-C)(B-C))/C -jinjing- 給 jinjing 發送悄悄話 (74 bytes) () 05/18/2010 postreply 20:51:10

Wonderful,I learn something new from you. Thanks! -皆兄弟也- 給 皆兄弟也 發送悄悄話 皆兄弟也 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/18/2010 postreply 21:23:54

你不是 -AnaZhang- 給 AnaZhang 發送悄悄話 AnaZhang 的博客首頁 (71 bytes) () 05/19/2010 postreply 11:46:22

I said what I really did. -皆兄弟也- 給 皆兄弟也 發送悄悄話 皆兄弟也 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 05/19/2010 postreply 13:08:46

其實這麽理解就行了 -twfx- 給 twfx 發送悄悄話 (77 bytes) () 05/20/2010 postreply 09:50:09

這個也對,而且更簡潔。 -不明則問- 給 不明則問 發送悄悄話 不明則問 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/02/2010 postreply 09:46:12

對! -不明則問- 給 不明則問 發送悄悄話 不明則問 的博客首頁 (42 bytes) () 06/02/2010 postreply 09:45:44

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”