162 Egg someone on

來源: 心在飛,淚在流 2010-02-05 12:32:10 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (3716 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 心在飛,淚在流 ] 在 2010-02-05 13:46:59 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

162 Egg someone on

(PW) push, urge

My wife didn’t want to take the job, but I egged her on.

(babylon)

urge or push someone to do something He is always egging his friend on when he is angry which makes him even angrier.

(phraseFinder)

To egg someone on is to encourage them and urge them forward.

Origin

This little term has nothing to do with bird's eggs. Nor is it connected with the phrase that employs the other common usage of 'egg' as a verb, i.e. 'over-egg the pudding'. The 'egg' of 'egg on' is a straightforward variant of 'edge', so to 'egg someone on' is to edge, or urge, them forward. Egg and edge both have the look and feel of Viking words and this first impressions turns out to be correct, as they both derive from the Old Norse 'eddja'.

Egg has been used as a verb in English since around the 13th century and appears in print in the Trinity College Homer, in the form of 'eggede', circa 1200.

To 'egg on' appears later. It is used in Thomas Drant's translation of Horace - Horace his arte of poetrie, pistles and satyrs englished, 1566:

"Ile egge them on to speake some thyng, whiche spoken may repent them."

(free)Informal

Embarrassment; humiliation: If you do that, you'll end up with egg on your face.

請閱讀更多我的博客文章>>>
  • 161 Earful
  • 160 Eager beaver
  • 159 Dwell on
  • 158 Dump
  • 157 Drown one's sorrows
  • 所有跟帖: 

學會了[egg]作為動詞的用法,以及相關的短語。謝謝,周末快樂。 -紫君- 給 紫君 發送悄悄話 紫君 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2010 postreply 16:13:30

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
    請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
    選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
    選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”