亂讀英語: The Decade from Hell

來源: selfselfself 2009-11-28 20:52:31 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2315 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ selfselfself ] 在 2010-12-07 21:03:18 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

From Time Magazine

The Decade from hell and how the next one can be better

At exactly two minutes after midnight on Jan. 1, 2000, an alarm sounded at a nuclear power plant in Onagawa, Japan. Government officials and computer scientists around the globe held their breath. Was this the beginning of a massive Y2K computer meltdown? Actually, no. It was an isolated event, one of a handful of glitches to occur as the sun rose on the new decade. The dreaded millennial meltdown never happened.

Instead, it was the American Dream that was about to dim. Bookended by 9/11 at the start and a financial wipeout at the end, the first 10 years of this century will very likely go down as the most dispiriting and disillusioning decade Americans have lived through in the post–World War II era. We're still weeks away from the end of '09, but it's not too early to pass judgment. Call it the Decade from Hell, or the Reckoning, or the Decade of Broken Dreams, or the Lost Decade. Call it whatever you want — just give thanks that it is nearly over. (See TIME's photo-essay "The 10 Worst Things About the Worst Decade Ever.")

Calling the 2000s "the worst" may seem an overwrought label in a decade in which we fought no major wars, in historical terms. It is a sadly appropriate term for the families of the thousands of 9/11 victims and soldiers and others killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. But the lack of a large-scale armed conflict makes these past 10 years stand out that much more. This decade was as awful as any peacetime decade in the nation's entire history. Between the West's ongoing struggle against radical Islam and our recent near-death economic experience — trends that have largely skirted much of the developing world — it's no wonder we feel as if we've been through a 10-year gauntlet. Americans may have the darkest view of recent history, since it's in the U.S. that the effects of those trends have been most acute. If you live in Brazil or China, you have had a pretty good decade economically. Once, we were the sunniest and most optimistic of nations. No longer.

所有跟帖: 

Just came from Thanksgiving party? Sounds drunk, so drunk :) -lilac09- 給 lilac09 發送悄悄話 lilac09 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/28/2009 postreply 20:56:58

I'm kidding. Still better than when I read soberly :) -lilac09- 給 lilac09 發送悄悄話 lilac09 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/28/2009 postreply 21:18:08

I knew you were, sweetie. Had a good holiday? -selfselfself- 給 selfselfself 發送悄悄話 selfselfself 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/28/2009 postreply 21:23:14

I'm fine. Sill one piece after shopping spree~~ -lilac09- 給 lilac09 發送悄悄話 lilac09 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/28/2009 postreply 21:44:49

Oops, what kind of game is this? Sound from outer space? -念親- 給 念親 發送悄悄話 念親 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 11/28/2009 postreply 21:25:41

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”