美語聽力與發音技巧 - 01

本文內容已被 [ YuGong ] 在 2009-06-19 06:29:37 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

Welcome to Daily tips on Learning English. Today's tip is on distinguishing “can” and “cannot” in spoken American English. 

“Cannot” is usually contracted to “can't”. So many learners of English assume that in order to distinguish between “can” and “can't”, one must listen for the final “t” sound /t/. And when speaking, one must pronounce final ‘t’ sound /t/ clearly. However, this is not in fact how native speakers distinguish “can” and “can't”. People do not say ‘I `can drive a car, but I can’t drive a motorcycle.’ People say ‘I can `drive a car', but I `can't drive a motorcycle.’ The difference between “can” and “can't” is in stress. “Can” is not stressed, the verb after it is. “Can't” is stressed. The verb after it is not. 

Also since ‘can’ is not stressed, the vowel is reduced to /a/, so “can” is actually pronounced “can”. Listen to another example. “I `can't go on Saturday, but I can `go on Sunday.” Did you hear the 't' sound? Did you notice the difference words being stressed? Listening again. “I `can't go on Saturday, but I can `go on Sunday.” If you want to understand whether someone is saying he can or can't do something, you have to be listening for a stressed “can't” or a verb stressed after “can”. What does this mean? “I can `speak Japanese, but I `can't speak Taiwanese.” That's right, I can speak Japanese, but I cannot speak Taiwanese. When you are speaking it is very important that you follow this rule too. When learners of English say I `can help you, native speakers often unsure what is meant because of improper stress. So remember, you can stress “can't”, but you `can't stress “can”. 

This has been today's tip on learning English. Tune in tomorrow for another tip.

Source: 在線英語

請閱讀更多我的博客文章>>>

• 配樂朗誦:A Greek to Remember
  • 新概念英語(美音版)第二冊
  • 配樂朗誦:A Grain of Sand
  • 配樂朗誦:A Forever Friend
  • 新概念(美音版)第三冊 Lesson 41 ~ 60
  • 所有跟帖: 

Thank you for sharing! Very helpful. -京城的燕子- 給 京城的燕子 發送悄悄話 京城的燕子 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/19/2009 postreply 13:11:07

My pleasure. Glad to hear that it helps. -YuGong- 給 YuGong 發送悄悄話 YuGong 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/20/2009 postreply 21:27:35

Very helpful tips! -麵朝大海春暖花開- 給 麵朝大海春暖花開 發送悄悄話 麵朝大海春暖花開 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/19/2009 postreply 14:26:26

Thanks. Long time no see, hope everything is going well. -YuGong- 給 YuGong 發送悄悄話 YuGong 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/20/2009 postreply 21:28:23

這中國話說的,聽起來滿有催眠作用,不錯~ZZZZ -橫海郡- 給 橫海郡 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 06/19/2009 postreply 20:31:26

Have a good dream. :-) -YuGong- 給 YuGong 發送悄悄話 YuGong 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/20/2009 postreply 21:29:02

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!