What a 2023 U.S. government shutdown means for you ?

來源: 盈盈一笑間 2023-09-28 11:02:18 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (22927 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 盈盈一笑間 ] 在 2023-09-28 19:15:11 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/09/28/government-shutdown-notice-federal-employees/

Unless Congress acts by September 30th, the federal government will shut down.

A government shutdown would have negative impacts for mid-Michigan. You can learn more about how a government shutdown could impact you, your family and your community below.

Earlier this year, the President and Congress negotiated a bipartisan budget. This agreement, which reduces government spending and responsibly addresses our national deficit, had the support of over 300 Members of Congress. Unfortunately, the Speaker of the House has walked away from this bipartisan agreement, which has brought us to the brink of a shutdown.

I know most of my constituents do not want at a government shutdown. As a member of the Problem Solvers Caucus, I’m working with Republicans and Democrats to avoid a government shutdown.

Please check back for continued updates regarding a potential government shutdown.

What is the impact on law enforcement or U.S. military personnel?

Active-duty and reserve U.S. military personnel and many law enforcement officers would remain on the job but be forced to work without pay. Military training operations could be curtailed and the military’s ability to recruit and retain individuals would be severely diminished, which will impact our national security and our military’s readiness. Many civilian personnel, including military technicians, are likely to be furloughed.

How will the shutdown affect travel?

Air traffic controllers and Transportation Security Administration (TSA) officers would be forced to work without pay, which could lead to delays, long wait times and safety concerns for the over 33,000 individuals flying through Michigan airports every day.

How will the shutdown impact FEMA’s efforts to respond to natural disaster clean-up efforts? 

A government shutdown would complicate new emergency response efforts. Funding for long-term recovery projects—like the 2020 Midland flooding—would be halted and delayed, including FEMA relief to restore the Midland Center for the Arts.

Will I be able to renew my passport?

Renewal and processing times of passports have already been delayed this year, and some passport services could be delayed during a shutdown, particularly if they are in agency buildings that are shuttered.

What is the impact on small businesses?

A government shutdown will impact federal loans to small businesses. The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) will not accept, review or approve any new business loans for small businesses, which provides over $800 million to Michigan small businesses, such as mom-and-pop shops on Main Street.

Will a shutdown impact WIC and SNAP benefits? 

Over 7 million Americans, including over 200,000 Michigan families, who count on the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) would lose their benefits and turned away at grocery store counters.

In a prolonged shutdown, nearly 1.5 million Michiganders who count on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) could lose access to affordable food options.

Will I continue to receive my Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) checks?

Recipients would continue to receive their Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits. However, about 15% of the Social Security Administration’s staff would be furloughed, which could mean the delay or suspension of benefit verifications, replacement of Medicare cards and determinations on disability claims.

Will my mail still arrive?

The U.S. Postal Service is an independent entity that is funded through the sale of its products and services, and would not be impacted by a government shutdown.

What is the impact on veterans' services?

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) regional offices may close during a government shutdown. Regular operations, like career counseling, transition assistance, and cemetery grounds maintenance, could be impacted as well.

VA health care services and burials would continue, and the Department would also continue to process and deliver benefits to veterans, including compensation, pension, education and housing benefits.

Will I receive my tax refund?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has not released an updated plan for operating during a potential shutdown. During previous shutdowns, taxpayer phone calls, taxpayer disputes and tax refunds were delayed.

What is the impact on medical research?

A government shutdown would stall critical research on diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s because the National Institutes of Health (NIH) would not be able to begin new clinical trials.

How will Michigan farms be impacted?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) would be forced to stop processing farm loans used to help our local farmers and ranchers in mid-Michigan get the help they need to start, expand and maintain their family farms. These family farms help feed the country and are vital to our state’s economy. Farm loans provide over $112 million in assistance to Michigan farmers every year.

What is the impact on food and prescription drug safety?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) could be forced to delay food safety and prescription drug manufacturing inspections for products in Michigan and across the country.

What is the impact on water quality?

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) efforts to identify and clean up harmful contaminants in drinking water will be delayed.

What is the impact on workplace safety?

The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) could be halted in inspections for workplace safety.

What will happen to student loan assistance and federal Head Start programs?

The U.S. Department of Education has stated that student aid and loan programs could be disrupted, including processing Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) applications, disbursing Pell Grants and Federal Direct Student Loans and servicing Federal student loans.

Thousands of children across the country would lose access to Head Start programs.

Will I still be able to visit the national parks and monuments?

During a government shutdown, Michiganders could be turned away or unable to fully access national parks and monuments, and campgrounds and concession stands could be closed. All Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo would close.

Will infrastructure projects be delayed?

A shutdown could delay major infrastructure projects due to a delay in federal reviews, including projects to modernize utilities in rural communities and improve our interstate highways.

Which federal employees keep working during a government shutdown?

When there is a government shutdown, federal agencies are required to classify their employees as either "essential" or "non-essential." The employees classified as "essential" continue to work during the shutdown but without pay until after the government reopens. Employees classified as "non-essential" are laid off and not paid until after the government reopens.

Do furloughed federal employees get back pay?

The Government Employee Fair Treatment Act, signed into law in 2019, guarantees that furloughed government employees receive backpay once a shutdown ends. However, federal contractors impacted are not guaranteed backpay.

所有跟帖: 

Sigh. Most of our funding is from U.S. government. -godog- 給 godog 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 13:17:07

National lab or university? -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 13:18:33

NL. We should only see modest impacts in the short term if -godog- 給 godog 發送悄悄話 (20 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 13:30:30

Funding from DOD ? :) -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 18:10:14

The biggest chunk is from DOE, then some from -godog- 給 godog 發送悄悄話 (74 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 20:23:57

They have emergency funds. Of course, -renqiulan- 給 renqiulan 發送悄悄話 renqiulan 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 17:41:21

you will still hear their cries of pain. I don't blame them. -renqiulan- 給 renqiulan 發送悄悄話 renqiulan 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 17:43:10

The lack of funds may lead to layoffs... -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 18:14:02

It's a possibility, but unlikely to happen. -godog- 給 godog 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 20:24:53

The first time when I heard gov shutdown, I was astonished -方外居士- 給 方外居士 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 13:41:51

Now I understand it is part of the system, good or bad -方外居士- 給 方外居士 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 13:42:13

Yet this will bring inconvenience to people's lives.. -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 18:08:22

During last 40 years, U.S. government has shut down 10 times -霧蒙蒙雨霏霏- 給 霧蒙蒙雨霏霏 發送悄悄話 霧蒙蒙雨霏霏 的博客首頁 (41 bytes) () 09/29/2023 postreply 07:43:57

only US has its national debt ceiling -LinMu- 給 LinMu 發送悄悄話 LinMu 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 14:05:26

The debt ceiling is a cap set by Congress on how much debt -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 18:58:18

the federal government is allowed to carry at any given time -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 18:58:45

特地查了一下。:) -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 18:59:16

As long as treasury still pays interests, I'm fine :-) -7grizzly- 給 7grizzly 發送悄悄話 7grizzly 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 15:27:19

Haha. It seems you don't have any travel plans lately; -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 19:00:55

and no need to take a flight. -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 19:01:43

They're going to keep the airports running without paying -7grizzly- 給 7grizzly 發送悄悄話 7grizzly 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 19:33:42

like they did before. It's sad for the workers. -7grizzly- 給 7grizzly 發送悄悄話 7grizzly 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 19:35:40

America is too decentralized to let a perfunctory -renqiulan- 給 renqiulan 發送悄悄話 renqiulan 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 17:27:21

federal government shutdown do much harm. -renqiulan- 給 renqiulan 發送悄悄話 renqiulan 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 17:28:39

BTW, such predictable, recurrent political ploy is -renqiulan- 給 renqiulan 發送悄悄話 renqiulan 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 17:31:36

drummed up by the media running short of big stories. -renqiulan- 給 renqiulan 發送悄悄話 renqiulan 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 17:35:35

It may lead to the suspension of various public services, -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 19:07:10

affecting citizens who rely on them. -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 19:07:31

It is very clear that if the debt rising rate is higher than -方外居士- 給 方外居士 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 17:49:26

the gdp increasing rate, then the financial system will -方外居士- 給 方外居士 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 17:50:08

eventually collapse. So control debt rising rate is needed -方外居士- 給 方外居士 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 17:51:04

Hope so. I know current mortgage rate is really high. -盈盈一笑間- 給 盈盈一笑間 發送悄悄話 盈盈一笑間 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 19:12:27

我們這裏的早間新聞也在報道著…,鏡頭嘛,以拜登和特朗普為主,哈哈哈 -古樹羽音- 給 古樹羽音 發送悄悄話 古樹羽音 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2023 postreply 19:38:20

政府關門,人民自由 -ahniu- 給 ahniu 發送悄悄話 ahniu 的博客首頁 (45 bytes) () 09/29/2023 postreply 05:16:57

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”