Churchill's Anecdotes

來源: lostalley 2015-03-14 19:03:28 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5155 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ lostalley ] 在 2015-07-31 09:45:25 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

Churchill’s Anecdotes

by Lostalley

Churchill’ s speech “Never Give In” posted by Marauders is a masterful display of motivation and deception in a dire situation. Anglophiles will tell you that this is a man of bravery rather than trickery, yet the reality may be the opposite. As Churchill was addressing a nation battered by destruction and despair, his government and the British High Command also prepared for a ‘contingency”, a code-word for surrender, in case of Germany’s invasion following Britain’s defeat. England, in Churchill’s own quip, “is a nation of small shop owners.” Fighting to the last man for a cause is not English cup of tea. However, I still like Churchill for his uncanny ability to turn things around and wry sense of humor. These traits served him and his country better than deserved, under most circumstances. They also earned him a statue of brilliance, perseverance and defiance, deservedly or not. “V” gesture was his signature style to show off a will, or a will to show off. The list of Churchill’s anecdotes is long, compiled with facts and myths by his admirers and detractors. Here is my favorite: 

While sitting on a platform waiting to speak, the seventy-eight-year-old Churchill was handed a note by an aide. Churchill glanced at the message, which advised, "Prime Minister—your fly is unbuttoned." Churchill then scrawled on the bottom of the note and passed it back.

It read, "Never fear. Dead birds do not drop out of nests."

03/14/2015, Bethesda, Maryland

P.S.  I recommend two books on the subject, "Churchill--A Study in Greatness" by Geoffrey Best; "Churchill's Deception" by Louis C. Kilzer.

所有跟帖: 

Your lucid writing will accelerate, -lostalley- 給 lostalley 發送悄悄話 lostalley 的博客首頁 (60 bytes) () 03/15/2015 postreply 20:04:20

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”