two-letter word-"UP"

來源: eRandom 2014-03-07 16:49:24 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (16530 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ eRandom ] 在 2014-03-10 17:21:37 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

There is a two-letter word that perhaps has more meanings than any other two-letter word, and that is 'UP.'
It is easy to understand UPmeaning toward the sky or at the top of the list, but when we awaken in the morning, why do we wake UP? At a meeting, why does a topic come UP? Why do we speak UP  and  why are the officers UP  for  election and why is it UP to  the secretary to write UP  a  report? We call UP  our  friends. And we use it to brighten UP  a  room, polish UP  the  silver; we warm UP  the  leftovers and clean UP  the  kitchen. We lock UP  the  house and some guys fix UP  the  old car.

At other times this little word has real special  meaning.

People stir UP  trouble,  line UP  for  tickets, work UP  an  appetite, and think UP excuses.
To  be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP  is  special. A  drain must be opened UP  because  it is stopped UP. We  open UP a  store in the morning but we close it UP at  night. We seem to be pretty mixed UP about UP! To be knowledgeable about the proper uses of UP, look  the word UP in  the dictionary. In a desk-sized dictionary, it takes  UP almost 1/4th of the page and can add UP to  about thirty definitions. If you are UP to  it, you might try building UP a  list of the many ways UP  is  used.
It will take UP a lot of your time, but if you don't give UP, you may wind UP with a hundred or more.
When it threatens to rain, we say it is clouding UP. When the sun comes out we say it is clearing UP.
When  it rains, it wets the earth and often messes things  UP. When  it doesn't rain for a while, things dry UP. Then there is the proverbial UP yours.

One could go on and on, but I'll wrap it UP, for now my time is UP,
so...it is time to shut UP! Now it is UP to you what you do with this email.

所有跟帖: 

Good summary. Thanks! -~葉子~- 給 ~葉子~ 發送悄悄話 ~葉子~ 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/07/2014 postreply 17:06:46

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing! -衝浪潛水員- 給 衝浪潛水員 發送悄悄話 衝浪潛水員 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/07/2014 postreply 19:20:16

Thanks for sharing!When my daughter is late for school, I tell h --竹-- 給 -竹- 發送悄悄話 (234 bytes) () 03/08/2014 postreply 11:21:55

In essence, "Good good study, day day up!" -衝浪潛水員- 給 衝浪潛水員 發送悄悄話 衝浪潛水員 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/08/2014 postreply 15:41:18

No kidding! If you don't keep up --竹-- 給 -竹- 發送悄悄話 (55 bytes) () 03/08/2014 postreply 18:21:29

如此巧妙的把"Up"串成了一篇文章,真有趣,謝分享。 -斯葭- 給 斯葭 發送悄悄話 斯葭 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 03/09/2014 postreply 08:37:00

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”