習語A sledgehammer to crack a nut(3)

來源: sportwoman 2012-10-14 09:54:55 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (3180 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ sportwoman ] 在 2012-10-15 05:28:52 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

My allergy is kicking in again, which has brought me an itchy throat and stuffy nose, so after  several attempts to record and listen to my voice in order to improve my pronunciations, I decided to give up this idea of posting my recording which is husky along with my heavy breathing.

A sledgehammer to crack a nut

Meaning

To use 'a sledgehammer to crack a nut' means to use disproportionate force or expense to overcome a minor problem.

Origin

Sledgehammers are large iron hammers which were first used in England in the 15th century. These weren't tools to hammer sledges - the little ice trolleys with runners that the young Citizen Kane was so fond of. 'Sledge' was the original name of this form of hammer; so 'sledgehammer' is something of a tautology. 'Sledging' has recently reappeared as a verb form in the previously refined and gentle world of cricket, where it means the browbeating and harassment of the batsman by the fielders.

'Sledges' were an English invention but this phrase wasn't - it first saw the light of day in 1850s America. 'A sledgehammer to crack a nut' is one of the many versions of the phrase, the others having faded into disuse. The spelling of 'sledgehammer' hasn't yet settled down and is still making the usual progression of hyphenated words pairs, i.e. from 'sledge hammer' to 'sledge-hammer' and eventually 'sledgehammer'. The OED prefers the hyphen, but 'sledgehammer' is now the more common spelling.

Pretty well anything which is small and easy to squash has come verbally under the hammer, typified by nuts and insects. These have included peanuts, walnuts or just nuts; also gnats, flies, mosquitoes etc. The first to fall victim was the humble fly, as in this piece from The Getty*****urg Compiler, June 1878:

"Don't worry over little ills of life. It is like taking a sledge hammer to kill a fly."

Nuts came into the picture a little later, specifically peanuts; for example, this from The Reno Weekly Gazette And Stockman, May 1893:

"We know some men who are always looking for a sledge hammer to crack a peanut."

Insects and nuts seem to have become combined in the later 'sledgehammer to kill a gnat' version; for example, Grosvenor B. Clarkson's Industrial America in The World War, 1923:

"The Board never used a sledgehammer to kill a gnat."

Oddly, although the common form is now 'a sledgehammer to crack a nut', the first examples of that in print date from as late as the 1950s. Whether our current usage derived as a rewording of the 'crack a peanut' or the 'crack a gnat' version isn't clear - perhaps something of both?

所有跟帖: 

沒有聽到你的錄音我還納悶呢,原來是因為allergy. -祤湫霖- 給 祤湫霖 發送悄悄話 祤湫霖 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/14/2012 postreply 11:25:09

嗯,和"高射炮打蚊子"是一個意思。謝謝小蔓! -NewVoice- 給 NewVoice 發送悄悄話 NewVoice 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/14/2012 postreply 13:38:07

哈哈,聲姐的翻譯總是惟妙惟肖!:) -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/14/2012 postreply 15:11:36

謝班長,聲姐和美風!新周愉快! -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 10/14/2012 postreply 18:45:43

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”