Flu Shot or Not? (ZT)

來源: sportwoman 2012-09-28 08:40:39 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (2893 bytes)

Should I get a flu shot?” Each year, I still have this debate with myself, even though I eventually end up getting one. I’m in one of the groups of people who are supposed get a flu shot: asthmatics (that’s me), seniors, people with chronic illnesses, kids under the age of 5 (but older than 6 months), parents and health care providers. If you’re anyone else, I don’t blame you for trying to avoid the needle.

Despite my history of getting flu shots, I still hesitated when I saw my doc three days ago. Maybe I could buy some time and just see if the shot is worth it … I mean ... if it’s not going to be a bad flu season, maybe I can avoid it, I said to myself.

“We just can’t tell right now how this season is going to be,” Dr. Eng told me. “Compared to last season, I haven’t seen a lot of people come in so far. Usually by this time, people start to come in with flu and colds.

"If you wait until November, you’ll probably be too late, because you’ll have already been exposed. ... If you’re going to get it, get it now.” A few minutes later, I headed down the hall to the nurse with the needle.

If you’re having the “shot or not” discussion in your head, one approach is “better safe than sorry,” no matter who you are. The fact is, every year, up to one-fifth of Americans get the flu, and 200,000 end up in the hospital, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Last year, 34 children died from flu-related illnesses, despite a “mild” season.

Then there’s the potential for misery. Flu and colds can take you down - like you got run over by a truck - for 7 to 14 days. You could have lingering symptoms or be sick for 3 to 4 weeks if you get complications such as pneumonia. Seriously, who can afford to be out of it for that long? You’ll probably go back to work or school before you’re really well and risk making everyone else miserable.

Speaking of misery, a few hours after I got the shot, I began to feel tired and queasy. The next day I was completely wiped out. I’d never had a flu shot reaction like this before. I called my neighbor, an ER doctor at Mount Sinai Medical Center, and asked her whether this was strange.

“No. There’s probably a strain in the shot this year that is new. You should feel better in a day or so.” She kindly brought me some Vitamin C.

Today, I still don’t feel quite right. But, I trust this will all be worth it in the coming months. My advice? If you go for the shot, do it soon, and do it when you have at least one day to recover.

所有跟帖: 

That is a good question. -珈玥- 給 珈玥 發送悄悄話 珈玥 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2012 postreply 09:09:04

Great article! :D Hope you feel better now. Take care! -doyouknowme- 給 doyouknowme 發送悄悄話 doyouknowme 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2012 postreply 09:47:41

seeing you around makes me feel much better! thank you!:)) -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2012 postreply 10:16:56

MM u have a sweet tongue! :) -doyouknowme- 給 doyouknowme 發送悄悄話 doyouknowme 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2012 postreply 10:28:50

guess Canadian maple syrup works just like honey? :), but seriou -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (130 bytes) () 09/28/2012 postreply 18:43:40

A stitch in time saves nine. Thanks to 珈玥 and doyouknowmeMM! -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2012 postreply 10:08:09

Well-said. -珈玥- 給 珈玥 發送悄悄話 珈玥 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/28/2012 postreply 13:15:11

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”