Zeena Frome也上榜了?

來源: 北京二號 2012-09-02 19:34:54 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (1530 bytes)
回答: Four Bad Womenbmdn2012-09-01 13:04:35

Among these "Big Four", I only knew a little about Zeena Frome. I wathced the movie Ethan Frome before. But I can't be convinced that it is fair to put Zeena in that category. Zeena's intention was only to kick Mattie out, and she hadn't expected that they'd take such an extreme action. Mattie didn't have to kill herself. She could have made better choices, like to work for some other family as a maid or governess (since she was educated), to work for the church maybe since she played piano and sang well, or to marry one of the boys who loved her dearly. Besides, after the incident, Zeena took the responsibility of caring for Mattie instead of leaving her to the wild wolves, or running away herself.

From the story, I didn't see any extremely good or bad women/men but ordinary people. What I did see is the cruelty of life and that fate makes fun of the three little figures. I checked Wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Frome, and the last half paragraph says what I was thinking:

"... The moral concepts, as described by Ammons, come out as cold and as grim as her Starkfield setting. She explains further by comparing the characters of Mattie Silver and Zeena Frome. Ammons states that Mattie will become as frigid and crippled as Zeena if women are kept isolated and dependent. Lilburn wrote that Wharton cripples Mattie but lets her live to reflect the cruelty of culture, not the author."

所有跟帖: 

You made a very good point -bmdn- 給 bmdn 發送悄悄話 (542 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 19:48:06

Wharton is one of the authors whom I admire the most. -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (665 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 20:39:59

剛讀完Ethen Frome, 有點明白為什麽Zeena給你那樣的印象了。 -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (477 bytes) () 09/03/2012 postreply 17:43:28

You read fast! -bmdn- 給 bmdn 發送悄悄話 (340 bytes) () 09/03/2012 postreply 18:06:52

But she still is not a bad person to me. Will write my reasoning -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/03/2012 postreply 19:40:31

This is the kind of criticism I appreciate the most - thank you! -bmdn- 給 bmdn 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 19:54:44

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”