A Confession

來源: hammerheadshark 2012-09-01 22:43:32 [] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5460 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ hammerheadshark ] 在 2012-09-02 16:16:26 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

I have a confession to make.  Actually, it is not a confection in any meaningful way, because people who see me in real life know what holds their eyes – my eyes are wall-eyed. I simply couldn’t look straight.

I was born that way.  No one was as worried as my mother, who wouldn’t accept the fact by, from time to time, sticking a pair of chopsticks in front of my nose and, in great hope, asking, “How many?” Each time, I relentlessly shattered her hope by saying, “None.”  When people talked to me, they would invariably ask if I was listening, because they thought I was gaping somewhere else, when, in fact, I was trying hard to put my eyes facing the same direction.

Compared to my cousins who are cross-eyed, I suffer more disadvantages.  They always appear focused, making people feel important, while I have to slightly turn my face in order to look I am paying attention, and using only one of my eyes at a time makes people really want to whack me on the head if they don’t know the story behind.

One day, when I was watching TV, I saw a strangest-looking shark in my life.  A handicapped shark, whose head looked like a huge hammer, was roaming in the sea. On either side of that hammer head were its eyes.  Tears welled up in my eyes when I saw it twisting its body clumsily when swimming. What a poor creature! How could it live with eyes so widely apart? It would have to take a tremendous effort to catch fish and each hunting trip was a probability hunch. I had such strange kindred connection with it that I couldn’t help but feel sorry for it having to survive among other cool-looking sharks.  Since then, I call myself a hammer head shark. The look does not project any ferocious images that are typically in people minds; on the contrary, it arouses much more sympathy than fear because of its disfigured body. I guess my instinct would tell me to laugh instead of running away when seeing one.

However, born wall-eyed is not without its advantages.  There are several professions suit me:  a secret agent - I don’t even need to pretend I am not looking; a gynecologist - I could perform my duties without getting my clients feel embarrassed; or a boxer - I would be natural in confusing my opponents when delivering a punch.  But, I ended up as a cashier in a gas station.  Since I got the job, the business in the station had been booming! The cars waiting to fill up tanks were spilling out to the main street, until one day, I was fired because everyone in the community knew they did not need to pay for the gas. All they needed to do was to stick out cash with one hand, and take it back with the other when I was trying to count out their changes….

What a sick joke I am telling here! Everyone, have a great weekend.  Do DRINK AND DRIVE. Because I received all my tickets when driving sober and I have never had any problems when driving after a heavy drink. 

If you are laughing now, don’t choke yourself and make sure to keep your phone handy with a 911 speed-dial.

Hammer Head Shark  (drunk but still can type)

September 1st, 2012 1:33 am

所有跟帖: 

hey lucky you! My myopic astigmatism results in perspective -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (85 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 03:27:36

not sure if I am using the right word,就是得了透視眼。英語怎麽說呀? -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 09:53:37

回複:not sure if I am using the right word,就是得了透視眼。英語怎麽說呀? -同學小薇- 給 同學小薇 發送悄悄話 同學小薇 的博客首頁 (20 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 10:34:41

thanks xiaowei! you are smart and sweet!:) -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 10:55:59

Like your writing :-) -同學小薇- 給 同學小薇 發送悄悄話 同學小薇 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 10:35:19

Thank you. If you like it, I will write more. -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (533 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 20:11:31

陽光開朗睿智幽默,頂鯊魚兄! -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 10:52:19

Thank you. I am your staunchest fan. -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (354 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 20:17:45

:D I treat you as my big brother, so you'd better behave.:) -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 20:53:09

I will let your know when I am drunk again. -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 21:14:40

Sure Shark! Let's get drunk together and flood -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (68 bytes) () 09/03/2012 postreply 14:25:28

I am a little bit loaded, please stop me before I get worst:D -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/03/2012 postreply 14:36:18

風趣幽默,隻是讀你的文章太辛苦了 -- 老得翻字典!:-) -北京二號- 給 北京二號 發送悄悄話 北京二號 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 12:35:36

If only my jokes can make you laugh, -hammerheadshark- 給 hammerheadshark 發送悄悄話 (149 bytes) () 09/02/2012 postreply 20:24:37

喜歡你的幽默! -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 09/04/2012 postreply 13:31:49

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”