【非文青N周一文】Toastmasters speech #7: One Day without the Internet

來源: 非文學青年 2012-08-03 09:02:51 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (4603 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 非文學青年 ] 在 2012-08-03 09:06:37 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

CC#7, title: One Day without the Internet (5-7 minutes)

Introduction by Mr. Toastmaster: Last week, Donald's humorous speech on "7 habits of highly ineffective people" listed "surf the net" as the 7th habit to make people highly ineffective.

This gave 非文學青年 an idea about what to talk about for her CC#7 project:

Research your topic, i.e. what if I don't have internet for one day? Is internet making us ineffective? So she did an experiment. 非文學青年's objectives are: collect information about the topic from numerous sources (obviously, she can't collect information without the internet); Carefully support her points and opinions with specific facts, examples and illustrations gathered through research.

Last week, Donald made a humorous speech saying surfing the web makes you highly ineffective. Joking aside, it made me think: Is the internet helping us to be more or less effective? So I started thinking about doing an experiment, to deprive myself of the internet for one day. But before I started, of course, I googled "one day without the internet". It turned out my idea wasn't that original. Many people had tried this experiment. There were studies, even in my home country, China. A 2009 report showed that among all teenagers who use the Internet, 9.7 percent are addicted to the internet. Then I googled "internet addiction", an internet addiction test came up. It had 20 questions about your online behavior, questions like: How often do you find yourself saying "just a few more minutes" when on-line? I took the test. Before I knew it, 20 minutes had passed. oh, where was I? I was going to experiment a day without the internet. That wouldn't be possible to do on a workday because if I didn't use the internet, I couldn't access the data on the server, couldn't reply to my coworkers' emails, couldn't see my calendars and would miss all my meetings. Ok, I decided to do the experiment on Sunday.

This past Sunday, I woke up and got my coffee, but something was missing. I didn't have a newspaper and I couldn't go online to read the news. No problem, I went to starbucks and bought one there, but it made me look a little bit ancient. What was worse, it took a long, long time for me to get ready, get out the house, drive to starbucks, order my coffee and skim through the newspaper while drinking coffee. In addition, my hu*****and had to be at home to take care of the two kids by himself while I was gone.

Speaking of the kids, we had to go to a kid’s birthday party on Sunday. I asked my hu*****and where the birthday party was. He didn't know because it was an evite sent to me. In order to follow my internet ban, I had to ask my hu*****and to log in to my email and read that evite. I know it was kind of cheating, but well, it was an experiment. My hu*****and checked the evite. The party was at 11 in Shady Park, Long Beach. Where the hell is Shady Park? Google map? oh, the internet again.

The party went well, except that when people talked about the Olympics, I was about 12-24 hours behind because the newspaper I read was not as up-to-date as online sources and social media platforms.

Before the end of the day, I had to stop the experiment because I got into an argument with my hu*****and. He said the internet was invented by a British guy while I believed it was an American. We had to ask google to be the judge for this matter.

In conclusion: the experiment deprived me of the internet for one day, but it made me appreciate it more. The internet has become such an indispensable part of our lives that it can provide a great deal of convenience in terms of work, family life, entertainment and social activities. It is not just a tool to find out the details of Tom Cruise's latest divorce, but it is a valuable resource for information. And as a conflict mediator, it could even save your marriage. So I have to disagree with Donald: surfing the net is not a habit that makes people highly ineffective. Used wisely, the internet can make you highly effective and knowledgeable. As to who invented the internet: oh, wait a second, let me google it…

所有跟帖: 

青兒,先問好,稍候再讀你的文章。 -紫君- 給 紫君 發送悄悄話 紫君 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/03/2012 postreply 09:05:22

紫兒好!好久不見,非常想念。 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/03/2012 postreply 09:07:03

青兒,也想念你。喜歡讀你的文章,一如既往的好文筆,栩栩如生。 -紫君- 給 紫君 發送悄悄話 紫君 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/03/2012 postreply 12:21:48

謝謝紫兒,最近太忙,忙過這陣子再多發帖。 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 13:34:17

Qinger, take it easy. Have a nice Sunday. -紫君- 給 紫君 發送悄悄話 紫君 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2012 postreply 09:58:35

喜歡文青MM 的文筆。Well Done! -隨星- 給 隨星 發送悄悄話 隨星 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/03/2012 postreply 09:53:39

謝謝隨星mm喜歡!也很喜歡你推薦書的帖子。 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 13:35:16

Enjoy you writing very much! Like how it ends. -Tingfeng- 給 Tingfeng 發送悄悄話 (48 bytes) () 08/03/2012 postreply 10:22:28

嗬嗬,yes,我也看到類似沒有google怎麽辦的topic。謝謝聽風mm -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 13:36:36

地道流暢!王豆腐! -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/03/2012 postreply 15:53:51

謝謝小曼!繼續努力,爭取年底成為CC。 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 13:37:32

add oil! -sportwoman- 給 sportwoman 發送悄悄話 sportwoman 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2012 postreply 03:06:12

好看好看!所以我是不同意戒網的,當然也不要太沉溺於網絡世界裏就是了。嘎嘎嘎:) -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 beautifulwind 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/03/2012 postreply 17:47:20

美風好,最近忙得顧不上,差不多戒網了的感覺 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (55 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 13:40:15

部分戒網比較可行。 -EnLearner- 給 EnLearner 發送悄悄話 EnLearner 的博客首頁 (343 bytes) () 08/03/2012 postreply 20:43:54

恩,我覺得你處理得就很好,白天上班得時候很少見你發帖。 -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (249 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 13:45:04

太棒了,加油! -EnLearner- 給 EnLearner 發送悄悄話 EnLearner 的博客首頁 (335 bytes) () 08/05/2012 postreply 20:50:29

文青妹妹寫得真好,我們就是網上認識的啊,新時代的友情~~~:)) -京燕花園- 給 京燕花園 發送悄悄話 京燕花園 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 18:20:25

謝謝燕兒姐姐!是的,很高興能和姐姐在這裏認識! -非文學青年- 給 非文學青年 發送悄悄話 非文學青年 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2012 postreply 00:50:30

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”