Be my guest

來源: 動京城 2012-01-02 06:06:23 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (8802 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 動京城 ] 在 2012-01-03 04:16:54 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

My hu*****and loves holiday parties. He was supposed to go back to China at this time, but changed his mind to go back in February, and host some parties at home. I am not very crazy about too much social life. While one of the reason is that I don’t like to cook, and more prefer a restaurant dinner. He likes to invite friends, so they can drink, play cards, and sing karaoke until midnight. Nothing is wrong with that, only if I can get some help in the kitchen.

It was Dec 31st, last day of 2011, and I was asked from an old friend from China to translate his son’s personal statement for registration to University of Waterloo. I started English blog some time ago, just wanted to get some practice in English writing, and gain a good reputation of my English proficiency. I would love to do this, as I still have a passion for translating.

After finish translating, I have asked my son to review, and I went out for grocery shopping for the party at night. I was hoping he could learn something from the article, and when I asked him about the translation, he said it was full of grammar mistakes. I was shocked, and asked him to give me some examples. He said first of all, you have used all present tense for the past, and then there were lots of Chinese style expression, which was weird to him. I went back to computer to read his revision, and had to admit that his writing was better, in terms of vocabulary choice and sentence structure. Here are some examples.

高中二年級時,我的這個愛好終於得以施展.
Agent’s translation: In 11th grade, my hobby had finally got the chance to display.
My son’s version: In grade 11, my passion had finally paid off.    

在我的帶領下,經過激烈的角逐,我們隊獲得了團體銅獎。
Agent’s translation: my fellow team members have gone through fierce competition and finally we won the Bronze Award.
My son’s version: We had fierce competition that we were able to vanquish under my leadership. We came out triumphantly winning the Bronze Award. 

我的偶像是喬布斯、比爾蓋茨,是那些通過自身的不懈努力和創造發明來改變世界、讓人類生活更加美好的榜樣。我渴望成為這樣的人, 我深知任何成功都充滿了失敗和挫折,但我不會畏懼

Agent’s translation: I wish I could have the ability to innovate advanced invention to benefit human being, to participate in creating simple life, just like my idols-Steven Jobs and Bill Gates. However I understand that I still have long way to go on the road of achieving my dream, and if there is any difficulty that is blocking my way I shall overcome it through learning

My son’s version:  I wish to follow in example of my idols Steve Jobs and Bill Gates whom have changed the world through their tireless effort and innovation. I know that with success come a lot of failures and setbacks; however I am resilient and strong.

This also reminds me of the translation I did for church pledge form.

請各位弟兄姊妹按著各人的感動, 在十一奉獻之外 甘心樂意的為擴堂認獻
My translation: At your Will and Inspiration, Please Support by Offering Outside of Tithe
Pastor’s revision: In addition to my tithing, I (we) cheerfully give under GOD’s prompting 

I think the fundamental difference is that I translate it directly, by only replacing the word, but didn’t know the true message that the original sentence wanted to deliver, and my limitation of expressing the meaning in another language precisely.

While I was working on this, my guests came one after another, and I haven’t prepared any food yet. The beauty of this party was we cooked all together chatting and laughing. Who cares about the food, it is wonderful we spent time together at dinner table, shared our story for the year. One of the friends, whom we only meet once a year is a song writer, but stopped writing after came to Canada. I always love his vocal, and we had fun time singing a duet. I asked him to write a song about our immigration life by the end of the year, and he delightfully agreed.

Please, friends, be my guest, and let's have some fun again in new year!

請閱讀更多我的博客文章>>>
  • Spiderman – to the rescue
  • Cost low, Bonus high
  • Get back to your life
  • Yeehaw… party time!
  • Building expansion project
  • 所有跟帖: 

有趣的party, 你的兒子真不錯,祝你全家新年快樂。 -祤湫霖- 給 祤湫霖 發送悄悄話 祤湫霖 的博客首頁 (216 bytes) () 01/02/2012 postreply 06:40:17

兒子比自己強總是好,也祝你新年好! -動京城- 給 動京城 發送悄悄話 動京城 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2012 postreply 07:38:36

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
    請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
    選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
    選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”