日常美語:Typhnoon Delays(1)(音頻文字)

來源: 婉蕠 2011-07-08 11:29:49 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (3679 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 婉蕠 ] 在 2011-07-29 10:41:02 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

日常美語:Typhnoon Delays(1)(音頻文字)ZT

老板Tom打電話給秘書Susan.

Tom: (On the phone) Hey Susan, how are things at the office?

S: Oh, hi boss. Things are fine. But...aren't you supposed to be on a plane right now? I booked you on a 9:30 flight out of Hong Kong.

T: Um...Yeah. I should be watching the in-flight movie by now, but all flights are grounded.

S: Grounded? Oh...is it due to that hurricane?

接到老板的電話,Susan很意外,因為She booked him on a 9:30 flight out of Hong Kong,他本應坐九點半的飛機離開香港,book在這裏是動詞,指定機票。 原來是Tom的飛機停飛了 grounded, g-r-o-u-n-d-e-d, grounded,是停飛 的意思。Susan問是不是因為颶風。

T: Well, in Asia they call them typhoons but yep, that's the reason. Typhoon Marokot has shut down air traffic across the region.

S: Wow...that sounds like a nasty storm. Is it howling outside right now?

T: It's actually not too bad...there is some rain and wind, but we might be in the eye of the storm right now.

S: So what's the plan? When can you get a flight out?

Tom的班機的確是因為天氣原因停飛的,Tom說,亞洲習慣叫typhoon, t-y-p-h-o-o-n, typhoon,台風。這場台風讓整個地區的空運都陷入了停頓。 Shut down是關閉的意思。Tom說,他們現在可能in the eye of the storm,處於風暴中心。飛機什麽時候能起飛呢?

T: The airline says they are cautiously optimistic that we will be able to take off in a couple more hours. For now they're asking everyone just to standby and wait for the weather to lift.

S: That sounds frustrating.

T: Yeah, it is. I've been here for four hours now and I am getting a bit frazzled.

航空公司估計,幾小時後可以起飛,take off,是飛機起飛的意思。上麵那句話裏還用到了cautiously optimistic,指謹慎樂觀。Tom說,航空公司要大家standby待在那裏,隨時等通知。Tom已經等了好幾個小時,I am getting a bit frazzled. Frazzled is spelled f-r-a-z-z-l-e-d, frazzled,是心力交瘁的意思。

S: Is there anything I can do for you from here?

T: Actually, come to think of it,..can you call Mr. Tang in Singapore and tell him I might not make it to the conference in Berlin tomorrow?

S: Sure.

Tom讓Susan給新加坡的唐先生打電話,通知他,自己可能趕不上第二天在柏林的會議了。To make it在這裏是做到某事的意思。Tom還要在機場等多長時間呢?我們下次繼續聽。

Words and Phrases

1. She booked him on a 9:30 flight out of Hong Kong.
book在這裏是動詞,指定機票。

2. All flights are grounded.
飛機停飛了. grounded,是停飛的意思。

3. typhoon
台風

4. Shut down
關閉

5. in the eye of the storm
處於風暴中心

6. take off
是飛機起飛的意思。

7. cautiously optimistic
指謹慎樂觀。

8. standby
待在那裏,隨時等通知。

9. I am getting a bit frazzled.
frazzled,是心力交瘁的意思。

10. To make it
在這裏是做到某事的意思。

所有跟帖: 

回複:日常美語:Typhnoon Delays(1)(音頻文字) -作舟- 給 作舟 發送悄悄話 作舟 的博客首頁 (19 bytes) () 07/08/2011 postreply 11:39:59

Thanks for your comments.Nice weekend. -婉蕠- 給 婉蕠 發送悄悄話 婉蕠 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/08/2011 postreply 11:45:25

謝婉蕠,又學了幾個詞! -beautifulwind- 給 beautifulwind 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 07/08/2011 postreply 18:23:40

Same here. Nice evening. -婉蕠- 給 婉蕠 發送悄悄話 婉蕠 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 07/08/2011 postreply 20:04:02

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉/移除任何Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock/Adblock plus

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”