流行美語:Wiggle Room 回旋餘地 (音頻文字)

來源: 斕婷 2010-09-22 09:14:45 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5377 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 斕婷 ] 在 2011-01-11 11:21:40 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

流行美語:Wiggle Room 回旋餘地 (音頻文字) VOA (ZT)

李華和Larry一起到飯館吃飯。店裏人多,他們隻好排隊等位。今天我們要學兩個常用語:to kick oneself和wiggle room。

LH: Larry, 真希望這家飯館能快點上菜,我快餓暈了!

L: Yeah, I'm pretty hungry too, and smelling all the delicious food here is only making it worse.

LH: 咱們待會兒也別看菜單了,就跟服務員說,什麽菜能上得最快,我們就點什麽。

L: Well, I guess we could do that ... but if the food is really bad, you're going to be kicking yourself later.

LH: 你說我要kick myself? 踢我自己?別開玩笑了,我連抬腿的勁兒都沒有了,怎麽還能踢自己。

L: Actually, if you really regret something stupid that you did earlier, you can say that you are kicking yourself.

LH: 哦, 原來to kick oneself不是自己踢自己,而是為自己做的蠢事感到後悔。你是說,要是我不看菜單瞎點,八成得後悔。

L: Right! Here is another example. I spent $1,000 on a new computer, but I was kicking myself a week later when it went on sale for half the price.

LH: 那可不,剛買台電腦,沒幾天就降價50%,這能不讓人後悔麽?早知道就多等幾天,可以省好多錢呢。好了,咱們還是趕快決定吃什麽吧,辣雞翅怎麽樣?

L: I really love spicy food, but it always makes my stomach hurt. If I eat it, I know I'm going to be kicking myself later.

LH: 那油炸奶酪?

L: Yeah, those are really tasty too, but they're so fattening! I know I'm going to be kicking myself at the gym tomorrow.

LH: Larry, 你怎麽這麽多事!這家飯館挺貴的,應該不會難吃。

L: Yeah, I'm going to be kicking myself if we spend a lot of money on dinner but the food isn't very good.

LH: 可是Larry,我真的餓死了。那張桌子空出來了,我們可以進去了!

L: Great! Let's go and sit down.

LH: 啊,真是酒足飯飽,我吃得太多了,撐死了。咱們幹點什麽消化消消食兒吧。

L: Hmm ... do you want to go see a movie? I think that the new Tom Cruise action movie starts playing at 9 PM.

LH: 好啊,可是現在已經八點一刻了,咱們趕得及麽?

L: Well, the theater is only 15 minutes away, so we have some wiggle room.

LH: Wiggle room? 那什麽意思?

L: When you say that you have some wiggle room, that means that you have some flexibility, or room to spare.

LH: 噢, wiggle room就是回旋餘地。你是說電影院離得不遠,我們還有一些時間,應該可以趕上九點鍾的電影。

L: Right! Here is another example. My apartment lease ends next week, but I have some wiggle room because my landlord said I could stay an extra month if I need to.

LH: 我明白了。房東允許你再多住一個月,所以你就不必趕緊搬家,還有時間可以慢慢找房子。 對了,我聽說Tom Cruise的這部新片裏有好多電腦特技。

L: Yeah, I read that the movie cost more than the movie studio thought it would. By the end, there was no wiggle room in the budget.

LH: 啊?拍這個電影花錢太多,最後預算一分不剩都花啦?那這電影一定好看!不過說實話,我還是想看愛情片,我們下周去好不好。

L: Well ... I probably can ... but I will have to check my schedule.

LH: 你怎麽這麽麻煩,到底去不去?

L: Well, I just want to keep a little wiggle room in case an even better action movie comes out next week!

LH: 哼,你幹什麽都不把話說死,總要留點餘地。隨便,你不陪我就自己去。好啦,咱們走吧,你說給多少小費啊?15%還是20%?

L: You know, there is some wiggle room. Anything between 15 percent and 20 percent will be fine.

LH: 好吧。對了,你想不想去隔壁的甜品店吃點冰激淩?

L: Even though we have some extra time, we probably shouldn't take the risk. We're going to be kicking ourselves if eating ice cream makes us late to the movie.

LH: 我肯定不後悔,冰淇淋比電影誘人多了。走,陪我去吃!

今天李華學了兩個常用語。一個是to kick oneself, 表示感到後悔。另一個是wiggle room, 意思是靈活性,回旋餘地。

Words and Phrases

1. kick oneself

Iff you really regret something stupid that you did earlier, you can say that you are kicking yourself.

to kick oneself 不是自己踢自己,而是為自己做的蠢事感到後悔。

For example:

I spent $1,000 on a new computer, but I was kicking myself a week later when it went on sale for half the price.

2. Wiggle room

When you say that you have some wiggle room, that means that you have some flexibility, or room to spare.

wiggle room就是回旋餘地。

For example:

My apartment lease ends next week, but I have some wiggle room because my landlord said I could stay an extra month if I need to.

Audio download link:

http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa348.m3u

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”