流行美語:pale in comparison & blown away(音頻文字)

來源: 紓珈 2010-08-17 07:27:38 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (5144 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 紓珈 ] 在 2010-08-21 08:34:00 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

流行美語:pale in comparison pale in comparison 不能比 & blown away 大吃一驚(音頻文字)VOA (ZT)

李華和Larry在夏威夷渡假。今天我們要學兩個常用語: pale in comparison和blown away。

LH: Larry, 我簡直不能相信今天是我們在夏威夷的最後一天了!真舍不得走。

L: I know! I feel like we just got here, and now we already have to think about going back home.

LH: 所以我們得珍惜這最後一天,咱們來點刺激的,空中跳傘怎麽樣?

L: Sky diving? Wow, that would be really crazy! All of our other activities would pale in comparison with sky diving.

LH: Pale in comparison? 什麽意思?

L: You can say that something pales in comparison when it is much smaller or less significant than something else.

LH: 哦,pale in comparison就是遠遠不如,遜色很多。你是說,和空中跳傘相比,我們在夏威夷玩兒的其它東西就遜色多了,簡直太沒勁了。

L: Exactly! Or for another example, I could say that John decided to accept a new job at a different company because his old salary paled in comparison with the one he was offered.

LH: 你是說, John跳槽到一家新公司,因為人家給他的薪水比原來公司的高得太多了。

L: Right! But I don't know about sky diving Lihua. It sounds really dangerous.

LH: 不用害怕! 你就是走在大馬路上,也可能摔跟頭啊!難道你因為擔心這個就不出門走路了?

L: True, but I think the danger of walking down the street pales in comparison to the danger of sky diving.

LH: 好吧。那咱們去坐直升機好了,可以鳥瞰美麗的夏威夷!

L: I agree. I think the natural scenery back home pales in comparison with the incredible natural scenery here.

LH: 那當然了! 不過,雖然夏威夷景色怡人,但物價也比其它地方貴。咱們坐直升機肯定得花好多錢。

L: You're right. The prices of things back home really pale in comparison with the prices in Hawaii.

LH: 但是咱們都來了,不去肯定會遺憾的!

L: I think you're right. Let's do it!

LH: Larry, 怎麽樣?這趟直升機之旅很棒吧?

L: Yeah, that was great!I was really blown away by how beautiful the natural scenery was.

LH: Blown away? 被風吹走?你沒被吹走啊。

L: Actually Lihua, when you say that you were blown away by something, that means that you were really amazed.

LH: 哦,原來be blown away就是感到震驚的意思。你是說,咱們在空中看到的美景徹底讓你瞠目結舌。

L: Right! Here is another example. When I went to the Sichuan restaurant, I knew that the food would be a little spicy. But I was really blown away by just how spicy it was!

LH: 哦,雖然你本來就知道四川菜辣,但直到真把川菜吃到嘴裏後,才發現它們可比你想象的辣多了。對了,Larry, 那天咱們去釣魚,我的垂釣技術有沒有讓你blown away, 對我刮目相看呢?

L: Lihua, I'm sorry to say that I was not blown away by your fishing skills. Just catching one big fish on your first try is beginner's luck.

LH: 抓到魚是我運氣好?才不是呢!對了,我還聽人說過"blow their mind"這也是一個意思麽?

L: Exactly. For example, I had seen pictures of the Grand Canyon in books. But when I finally went there, seeing it in person really blew my mind.

LH: 大峽穀的美景的確會讓人歎為觀止! 對了,上次我做的麻婆豆腐也讓你驚豔了吧!

L: Absolutely! When I tasted your mapo tofu for the first time, it completely blew my mind. I couldn't believe how delicious it was.

LH: 你還挺會說話。對了,我們下午得早點出發去機場,別遇到堵車。

L: I know! I was blown away by how crowded the airport was when we landed.

LH: 不過比起紐約的交通,這裏就算不錯了。

L: Oh sure, the lines at the airport here pale in comparison to big US cities.

LH: 說到紐約,馬上就要回去了,又得上班了,真煩人。

L: Lihua, I have just one rule for going on vacation: never mention work!

今天李華學了兩個常用語。個是pale in comparison, 表示不能比,遜色很多。另一個是blown away, 意思是大吃一驚。

Words and Phrases

1. Pale in comparison

You can say that something pales in comparison when it is much smaller or less significant than something else.

pale in comparison就是遠遠不如,遜色很多。

For example:

I could say that John decided to accept a new job at a different company because his old salary paled in comparison with the one he was offered.

2. Blown away

When you say that you were blown away by something, that means that you were really amazed.

be blown away 就是感到震驚的意思

For example:

When I went to the Sichuan restaurant, I knew that the food would be a little spicy. But I was really blown away by just how spicy it was!

Audio download link:

http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa342.asx

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”