流行美語:apples to oranges & penny pincher(音頻文字)

來源: 紓珈 2010-06-11 10:39:25 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (4958 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 紓珈 ] 在 2011-04-23 02:23:25 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.
流行美語:apples to oranges & penny pincher(音頻文字)VOA (ZT)

開春了,李華和Larry正在商量種花種菜。今天我們要學兩個常用語:apples to oranges和penny pincher.

LH: Larry, 終於等到春天了,你說,咱們該種點什麽花呢?是玫瑰還是杜鵑?

LL: No way, those are too much work. Let's plant a cactus so that we only have to water it once every couple weeks.

LH: 什麽?就為省事,你居然要種仙人掌?這也太雷人了吧,那還不如一懶到底,堆幾塊石頭,弄個日本枯山水花園算了。

LL: Oh come on, Lihua. A cactus garden is completely different from a rock garden. You're comparing apples to oranges.

LH: Apples and oranges? 你不是說要種仙人掌嗎?怎麽又提到蘋果和桔子呢?

LL: Actually, when you say that someone is comparing apples to oranges, it means he is trying to compare two very different things that aren't the same at all.

LH: 哦,我明白了,to compare apples to oranges意思就是把兩件完全不同的東西拿來相提並論。你是在說,仙人掌花園和日本枯山水花園壓根兒就是兩回事。

LL: Right. Or say your favorite actor is a movie comedian, and my favorite actor only performs in Shakespeare theatre. Comparing the two would be like comparing apples to oranges.

LH: 就是說,雖然倆人都是演員,可一個是演喜劇電影的,另一個是演莎氏比亞大戲的,兩人沒有可比性。

LL: Exactly!

LH: 可是Larry, 你別忘了,我今天早上把電話借給你用,所以你欠我一個人情,一定要聽我的,種玫瑰,不種仙人掌。

LL: What? Borrowing your phone was just a small favor, but this garden is going to be a big project. You're comparing apples to oranges.

LH: Larry, 你不是最喜歡草頭娃娃嗎?種花也是一樣啊,澆水、上肥,樂在其中,你就當是在養寵物好了!

LL: Lihua, you're comparing apples to oranges! Plants and pets are totally different things.

LH: 我承認,動物和植物確實有很大差別,可起碼有一點是共同的。

LL: Really? What's that?

LH:它們不會跟我吵嘴啊!

LH: Larry, 要不這樣吧,種什麽,咱倆一人挑一半。怎麽樣?

LL: That sounds good. I'm going to plant some tomatoes, carrots and blueberries so that this summer I don't have to buy expensive fruits and vegetables at the store.

LH: 對啊,我們可以種菜。沒想到,你還挺會過日子的。

LL: Well you know, Lihua, in this bad economy we all have to be penny pinchers.

LH: Penny pinchers? 是什麽意思啊?

LL: Penny-pinching is being very careful not to waste money. It means that you manage to each penny very carefully.

LH: 哦,penny-pinching就是精打細算,一分錢掰成兩半花的意思。可是Larry, 這種說法是名詞、動詞還是形容詞呢?

LL: It can be any of those. I could call someone a penny pincher. Or, for another example, I could say that Todd really had to pinch every penny after his boss lowered his salary.

LH: 那好,我舉雙手讚成你種菜。這樣你就可以省下很多錢,帶我去吃法國大餐了。

LL: Uh...actually, Lihua, that reminds me of another phrase. Penny wise, pound foolish.

LH: Penny wise, pound foolish? 這裏所說的Pound是英鎊嗎?

LL: That's right. Penny wise, pound foolish means that you are careful to save little bits of money, but then waste large amounts of money.

LH: 噢,就是說在小錢上精打細算,在大錢上大手大腳。小氣鬼,你不會是轉彎抹角地拒絕帶我去吃法國大餐吧?

LL: Well, if I saved a little bit of money growing my own vegetables, but then wasted a lot more money on expensive dinner dates, I would be penny wise, pound foolish.

LH: 你不會覺得把錢花在女朋友身上是浪費吧?

LL: Uh ... I mean ... of course not! It's just that I'm pinching every penny so that I can buy you a really great birthday present!

LH: 生日禮物?我猜,一定是浪漫的“仙人掌花園”。

今天李華學了兩個常用語。一個是apples to oranges, 意思是在風馬牛不相及的兩件事。另一個是penny pincher, 意思是精打細算的人。

Words and Phrases

1. cactus
仙人掌

2. to compare apples to oranges

Someone is comparing apples to oranges, it means he is trying to compare two very different things that aren't the same at all.

to compare apples to oranges意思就是把兩件完全不同的東西拿來相提並論。

3. penny pinchers.

Penny-pinching is being very careful not to waste money. It means that you manage to each penny very carefully.

penny-pinching就是精打細算,一分錢掰成兩半花的意思。

4. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Penny wise, pound foolish means that you are careful to save little bits of money, but then waste large amounts of money.

就是說在小錢上精打細算,在大錢上大手大腳。

http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa333.asx

http://www.freexinwen.com/chinese/soundpa/pa333.asx

所有跟帖: 

learned 6 words: Penny-pinching/ Penny pinchers/pinch every penn -help15- 給 help15 發送悄悄話 (55 bytes) () 06/11/2010 postreply 11:14:20

Glad to hear that. Have a nice weekend and great summer. -紓珈- 給 紓珈 發送悄悄話 紓珈 的博客首頁 (0 bytes) () 06/11/2010 postreply 14:41:41

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”