流行美語:back to square one & hankering(英語聽力)

來源: 婉蕠 2009-09-10 06:09:23 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (3886 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 婉蕠 ] 在 2012-02-15 09:13:11 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.
流行美語:back to square one & hankering(英語聽力)ZT

李華在Larry辦公大樓門口遇到他。Larry看上去十分疲倦。今天我們要學兩個常用語: back to square one和hankering.

LH: Larry, 你昨天晚上是不是又熬夜加班了?看上去一臉疲憊。

LL: Did I ever! I was here all night doing work on this new marketing project, but ultimately I did not get anywhere. I may have to change the ad's concept completely, even though that would mean going back to square one.

LH: 你要去square one出差?遠嗎?

LL: Square one is not an actual place. It means going back to the beginning.

LH: 我明白了,square one就是從頭開始的意思。那上星期我寫論文忘了存盤,結果電腦死機全丟了,隻好從頭再來,這種情況就可以說I was back at square one. 對不對?

LL: Yes, that's right, Li Hua. Because you had to go back to the beginning and all of the earlier work was deleted, you had to go back to square one.

LH: 我手裏還有一篇論文要寫,但是還沒有下筆,能不能說I am only at square one?

LL: You can use "square one" that way, but usually people say, "back to square one." This means that they did a lot of work, but it did not help them get any closer to their goal.

LH: 這麽說,我可不願意go back to square one.

LL: Exactly, I'm very frustrated that all of my work last night did not get me anywhere. Even though I was here all night, I'm back to square one.

LH: 這麽說,你的新市場營銷計劃如今又回到了起點,要從頭開始,你下一步打算怎樣辦?

LL: You know, to be honest, I am really not sure. I think maybe I need some sleep to help clear up my head.

LH: 我對你深表同情。不過我比你還慘。上星期論文都快打完了,結果沒存,I got sent back to square one. 更糟糕的是,第二天就要交。

LL: That does sound stressful, luckily I have still got a few weeks before this project is due, so I think that I am going to go home and get some sleep before starting again at square one.

LH: 你重新開始之前要不要一起吃點東西?

LL: That sounds great Li Hua, but first I need to get some rest. How about we meet here at noon, grab something to eat and then I get back to work?

LH: Sounds great!

LH: Larry, 你一覺醒來,一定是精神飽滿,幹勁十足。

LL: Yes, I had a very good nap, and now I have a hankering for some Italian food.

LH: A hankering? 你是說你想吃意大利飯嗎?

LL: Exactly, Li Hua! To have a hankering, for something means that you want that thing. Usually someone would say they have a hankering for a type of food or drink.

LH: 意大利飯也有很多種啊,你想吃意大利麵,比薩餅,還是肉醬千層麵?

LL: You know, lasagna sounds really good to me, but what do you have a hankering for Li Hua? What are you in the mood to have for lunch?

LH: 我也說不清楚想吃什麽。要不吃個三明治,還是去吃中國飯?

LL: It doesn't really sound like you have a hankering for anything in particular at all.

LH: 肚子餓的時候,當然是吃什麽都香。

LL: Maybe you should compare the types of food that you have a hankering for to decide what you want to eat.

LH: 一方麵,我特別想吃辣的,可另一方麵,我又怕麻煩。

LL: Either food that you choose is fine by me. Italian, Chinese, sandwiches...

LH: 現在聽起來,我好象又都不那麽想吃了。

LL: No? Then it looks like we are back at square one then.

LH: Yes, we are back at square one. 不過,我已經知道要吃什麽了。

LL: Well what do you want to have for lunch?

LH: Sushi! 快走吧,我已經在流口水了。

今天李華學了兩個常用語。一個是back to square one意思是回到起點。另一個是hankering,意思是特別想要。

所有跟帖: 

婉蕠mm, 俺又學習了。Thanks for sharing! -lilac09- 給 lilac09 發送悄悄話 lilac09 的博客首頁 (225 bytes) () 09/10/2009 postreply 07:21:31

lilac, I learned a new word, too. -婉蕠- 給 婉蕠 發送悄悄話 婉蕠 的博客首頁 (363 bytes) () 09/10/2009 postreply 10:02:40

回複:lilac, I learned a new word, too. -lilac09- 給 lilac09 發送悄悄話 lilac09 的博客首頁 (52 bytes) () 09/10/2009 postreply 15:11:07

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”