綜合美語:Have a Soft Spot For等(音頻文字)

來源: 祤湫霖 2013-10-30 12:15:58 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (19998 bytes)
本文內容已被 [ 祤湫霖 ] 在 2013-11-03 13:10:25 編輯過。如有問題,請報告版主或論壇管理刪除.

綜合美語:Have a Soft Spot For等(音頻文字) ZT

B: Welcome to American English Mosaic, I'm Mike Bond!

A: And I'm Lin Yang.

B: Need to know how to negotiate for a business loan? We will offer you some tips in today's business etiquette.

A: 完美主義會對你的生活產生什麽影響?  我們在下麵的節目中為你介紹。

B: And in words and idioms, we will learn what  "have a soft spot for" and "square away" means!

A: All coming up on this edition of American English Mosaic!

B: Now let's go into our first segment, Learn a word!

1. Learn A Word 1834 perfection

今天我們要學的詞是 perfection. Perfection is spelled p-e-r-f-e-c-t-i-o-n, perfection. Perfection 意思是完美,盡善盡美。The lamb chop was cooked to perfection. 這羊排做得無懈可擊。She is a workaholic, who always strives for perfection. 她是個工作狂,而且做什麽事都追求盡善盡美。皮尤研究中心的統計數字顯示,2011年美國人裏隻有51%處於已婚狀態,遠遠低於1960年時的72%。Experts say part of the reason is that some people are demanding an unrealistic degree of perfection from their partners. 有專家認為,部分原因是有些人很不現實地要求自己的伴侶是完美的化身。好的,今天我們學習的詞是 perfection, perfection, perfection...

A: Guilty as charged. I always want to find someone who's perfect, but now I realize that's just unrealistic.

B: Yep, we all need to learn how to be tolerate and accept the flaws of our partners.

A: Knowing you, a girl could easily win your heart as long as she's good at cooking. Food is the way to your heart, ha?

B: Haha, you know me! I do have a soft spot for gourmet food. Luckily for me my girlfriend is a gourmet chef!

A: Good for you! 你剛才提到了一個說法,have a soft spot for. 我們來聽聽今天的美國習慣用語,學學這個短語的用法!

2. 美國習慣用語第 873 講 Words and Idioms 873 Have a Soft Spot For

周末朋友從外地來華盛頓玩,我陪他們去參加一日遊。可憐的導遊,一看就是新手,被七嘴八舌的遊客問得難以招架。我年輕的時候也當過導遊,所以感同身受,深知她的苦衷。這也讓我想起一個習慣用語可以跟大家分享,那就是:

M: Have a soft spot for. Soft is spelled s-o-f-t, and spot; s-p-o-t. Have a soft spot for.

to have a soft spot for something or someone 意思是因為喜愛,所以對某個人或是某件事心軟。比如說,Grandpa has a soft spot for Jimmy, his first grandson. 爺爺偏愛長孫 Jimmy. 在剛才的例子中,正因為我以前做過導遊,所以很能理解那個年輕導遊的感受,I have a soft spot for tour guides.

下麵例子中的這個人談到了自己一個表麵冷酷無情、其實內心善良的叔叔,讓我們聽聽他是怎麽說的。

M: "Uncle Phil has a reputation as a tough guy who's unfeeling. But what most people don't know is that he can be quite caring. He's donated a lot of time and money to charities that help those less fortunate than him. Clearly, he HAS A SOFT SPOT FOR the underprivileged."

這個人說:菲爾叔叔一直以冷酷無情的硬漢形象著稱。可是,大多數人並不了解的是,他是一個很關心別人的人。他向一些慈善機構捐贈了很多時間和金錢,幫助那些不如他幸運的人。顯然,他很同情那些弱勢人群。

這也讓我想起2009年剛去世的美國政治家泰德•肯尼迪。他是美國前總統約翰•肯尼迪的弟弟,在國會參議院當了46年參議員。雖然他生長在一個富有的政治世家,Ted Kennedy had a soft spot for people who didn't grow up with the advantages he had. 泰德•肯尼迪對生長環境不如他優越的人格外關心。他將自己畢生的精力用於爭取民權、消費者利益和醫療保健。好的,讓我們再來聽聽上麵那段話。

M: "Uncle Phil has a reputation as a tough guy who's unfeeling. But what most people don't know is that he can be quite caring. He's donated a lot of time and money to charities that help those less fortunate than him. Clearly, he HAS A SOFT SPOT FOR the underprivileged."

美國人非常關心動物。在下麵的例子中,一位婦女開辦了一個服務中心,為狗尋找溫暖的家。讓我們聽聽她先生是怎麽說的。

M: "My wife started an adoption service for dogs. What started out with finding a home for one unwanted puppy became a full-time occupation. Thanks to her, over 200 dogs have been rescued. She could have chosen a job that's easier and higher paying. But she HAS A SOFT SPOT for dogs in need. It's very fulfilling."

他說:我太太辦了一個狗收養中心。最初隻是要給一隻沒人要的小狗找個家,後來居然變成了全職工作。在她的幫助下,已經有兩百多隻狗被救。她本可以選擇一個更容易做、工資更高的工作,但是她看見那些需要幫助的狗就會心軟。這份工作讓她很充實。

我一直想去動物收容所做義工,可我老公不同意,因為他知道,I have a soft spot for kittens. 我特別喜歡小貓咪,一定會帶一堆回家。不過,如果我女兒提出養貓,那就另當別論了,因為 My hu*****and has always had a soft spot for our daughter. 我老公特別疼愛女兒,對她百依百順。好的,我們再來聽一下上麵那個例句。

M: "My wife started an adoption service for dogs. What started out with finding a home for one unwanted puppy became a full-time occupation. Thanks to her, over 200 dogs have been rescued. She could have chosen a job that's easier and higher paying. But she HAS A SOFT SPOT for dogs in need. It's very fulfilling."

好的,這次美國習慣用語就到此結束了。

M: Until next time.

下次節目再見。

M: This has been Words and Idioms.  

A: I totally have a soft spot for cute doggies! When they look at me with their watery eyes, my heart just melts! But then comes the responsibility of feeding them, petting them, and taking them out for walks...

B: I know! A lot of people get puppies when they don't have the time or energy to take care of them. But I guess you can do it now since you got your own place!

A: 嗬嗬,I think I should focus on paying off my mortgage for now.

B: Yeah...loans, gah and numbers are so complicated!

A: Not for Asians! (笑) Actually in today's business etiquette, we will discuss this exact topichow to take out a loan!

B: Let's check it out!

3. 禮節美語 Taking Out a Loan I

三角洲通訊公司老板John Smith到銀行申請貸款,接待他的是銀行負責人 Ted Johnson。

Ted Johnson: Hello, Mr. Smith. Thanks for stopping by.

Smith: Hello, and call me John.

Ted: Sure...but only if you call me Ted.

J: Done.

T: So you are the CEO of Delta Communications. What exactly does your firm make?

J: We are the leading supplier of walkie-talkie radios and other shortwave communication devices.

John Smith 和 Ted Johnson 相互問候,彼此堅持要對方用 first name 稱呼自己,以便拉近距離,不會顯得太客氣。史密斯是三角洲通訊公司的CEO, Chief Executive Officer 首席執行官,這家公司主要生產對講機等短波通訊工具。walkie-talkie 是中文裏說的對講機。

T: Ah...I see. How's business these days?

J: Actually, not bad. We landed a couple of major contracts in Southeast Asia recently and in spite of the recession, we're humming along quite nicely.

T: That's good to hear. It's been a rough couple of years. I've had to deny hundreds of loan applications and we've had to take legal action to recover loans as well.

史密斯說,他們公司的業務沒有受到經濟危機的影響,剛在東南亞簽了幾個重要合同。we're humming along quite nicely. 生意蒸蒸日上。 hum is spelled h-u-m, hum 有忙忙碌碌的意思。Ted 則抱怨說,最近兩年貸款很不好做 It's been a rough couple of years,rough, r-o-u-g-h, rough 在這裏是困難的意思。不僅很多貸款申請不符合標準被退回,而且還不得不采取法律手段追繳貸款。

J: That sounds tough.

T: It is! No one wants to be the bad guy and people have a stereotype of bankers as unfeeling and cruel. But contracts are contracts and I have to run my business, right?

J: Yeah. You know what they say: business is business-it's not personal.

T: Well, I do sympathize with people's difficulties. But there's really nothing I can do.

Ted 說,No one wants to be the bad guy 誰都不想當惡人,大家對銀行家有成見,成見 stereotype is spelled s-t-e-r-e-o-t-y-p-e, stereotype,普遍認為銀行家冷血,不盡人情 unfeeling and cruel,但是做生意是為了賺錢,contracts are contracts合同就是合同,或者說,business is business. It's not personal. 這是做生意,不是針對任何人。Ted 同時也表示,他很理解和同情大家的難處,但又沒有辦法。這裏用的 sympathize is spelled s-y-m-p-a-t-h-i-z-e, sympathize 是同情。

A: Ted說,現在經濟危機, It's been a rough couple of years, 近幾年來生意不好做,他們需要對很多人追債。大家都對銀行家有成見,people have a stereotype of bankers, 但是 business is business, it's not personal, 生意就是生意,不是針對任何人。

B: Guilty, I often think of businessmen as being heartless and cruel, but it's a stereotype, and it's not fair to everyone.  

A: Yep, 親兄弟明算賬嘛! Let's keep listening to John and see how he's going to ask for a loan!

4. 禮節美語 Taking Out a Loan II

三角洲通訊公司老板John Smith到銀行申請貸款,接待他的是銀行負責人Ted Johnson,Johnson 抱怨最近兩年經濟危機,貸款很難做,經常會迫不得已走法律程序,追繳貸款。

T: I do sympathize with people's difficulties. But if I don't foreclose on mortgages or call in bad loans. I'll go bankrupt, too!

J: Yep...that's just how it goes.

T: So John, you mentioned in your email that you're thinking about taking out a loan.

J: Yes. You see, my company has been expanding quite rapidly and I'd like to construct a new warehouse.

Ted 說,他很同情大家的困難,但是如果他不去沒收貸款抵押的財產權,不清理呆帳,自己就會破產。上麵說的 foreclose is spelled f-o-r-e-c-l-o-s-e, foreclose 是銀行沒收抵押產權的意思,to call in 意思是收回,bad loan 指無力償還的呆賬。倆人的對話接下來切入主題。John因為公司擴大規模,打算加蓋一個倉庫,所以需要貸款。

T: Well, you came to the right bank. We have a long tradition of supporting young entrepreneurs like yourself. What kind of figure are we looking at here?

J: I think 200,000 dollars is the estimate for construction costs.

T: Well, that shouldn't be a problem. Your company is worth a lot more than that amount.

Ted 說,他們銀行一貫支持象史密斯這樣的年輕創業者,entrepreneur is spelled e-n-t-r-e-p-r-e-n-e-u-r, entrepreneur 是企業家的意思。John Smith 說,工程費大約需要二十萬。Ted 覺得,that shouldn't be a problem. 應該沒問題,因為史密斯公司的價值要遠遠超過這個數字。

J: Yes, but because we're a public company with shareholders, it's hard to get proposals passed. I was thinking of taking out a personal loan.

T: Ah...a personal loan. That is a bit more complicated. Can I ask what kind of collateral you could offer?

J: Well, I have my personal stock in the company and our family has a yacht as well.

T: Sounds like that should cover it. I'll need you to bring in the original deeds and certificates.

J: Sure. I can stop by on Friday.

原來,John的公司是上市公司,a public company, 讓股東們通過提案太麻煩,所以他希望以個人身份貸款,to take out a personal loan. 個人貸款需要 collateral is spelled c-o-l-l-a-t-e-r-a-l collateral抵押物品。John 說自己手裏有公司股份,還有一艘私人遊艇,yacht, y-a-c-h-t yacht. Ted 覺得這些就夠了,讓John把產權證拿來, deed is spelled d-e-e-d deed 是產權、所有權證書的意思。

A: Ted說,他們的銀行 have a long tradition of supporting young entrepreneurs,一項支持年輕的企業家,John說,他想以個人的身份貸款,take out a personal loan, 以 personal stock in the company, 手裏的公司股份,和yacht,遊艇,來做collateral,抵押物品。

B:That's why your credit score and credit history is so important if you live in America. It determines what kind of interest rate you can get for a loan, or if you can get a loan at all!

A: That's true. 咱們接著來看看John和Ted談得怎麽樣吧!

5. 禮節美語 Taking Out a Loan III

三角洲通訊公司老板John Smith到銀行申請貸款,接待他的是銀行負責人Ted Johnson。史密斯想申請個人貸款,用來修建公司的新倉庫。Ted Johnson說,除了需要物品抵押外,還有一個要求。

T: I know this can be a problem, but we generally require at lease one guarantor.

J: Hummm....what kind of person would be best, a relative or a business associate?

T: Either one is OK, but most people pick a relative because it's usually a little easier.

J: Ok...I'm sure my brother won't mind helping me out.

Ted 說,一般情況下,銀行還要求至少要有一個貸款擔保人,guarantor, g-u-a-r-a-n-t-o-r guarantor 是擔保人的意思,可以是 a relative 親屬,也可以是 a business associate 生意上的夥伴。John 想了想了說,I'm sure my brother won't mind helping me out. 我哥哥一定不介意幫我。mind doing something 是介意做某事的意思;to help someone out 指幫某人的忙。

T: Good. So finally we need to discuss the terms of the loan.

J: What kind of interest do you charge?

T: It depends on how long you take the loan out for. If you plan to pay it back within two years, the interest rate is six percent. A four-year deal works out to seven and a half percent.

貸款申請符合要求後,就該具體談談貸款的條款了,the terms of the loan. John 想知道,what kind of interest do you charge? 貸款利率多少。Ted回答說,貸款利率高低取決於貸款時間的長短。如果是兩年還清,利率隻要百分之六,如果是四年還清,則要百分之七點五。

J: I think two years should be fine. But six percent is a bit high. Is there any way to get a better rate?

T: Well, you've been a customer here for over a decade. I can't make any promises, but I'll try to get it down to five percent. How's that sound?

J: Five percent works for me. Ted, I can't thank you enough for your help.

T: Don't mention it! See you Friday.

John 說,貸款兩年就應該可以還清,這一點沒有問題,但是他嫌百分之六的利率太高。John 是銀行的老客戶,使用這家銀行的服務有十幾年了,Ted 表示,對老客戶可以關照,I can't make any promises, 雖然不能保證做到,但是他會試試看把利率從百分之六降低到百分之五。John 聽了很高興,說 Five percent works for me. 百分之五我可以接受,並對 Ted 表示感謝,貸款就這樣談成了。

A: 個人貸款需要 guarantor, 擔保人,這既可以是a relative 親屬,也可以是a business associate 生意上的夥伴。John說,他覺得他哥哥可以help him out, 幫他的忙。他們討論了terms of the loan, 貸款的條款,把interest rate, 利率訂在了5%。

B: Interest rates have been on the rise, but they are still pretty low these days.  A lot of people are trying to get mortgages and financing before it rises again!

A:Yeah, I love now that I have a nice condo, but getting the Financing squared away was not fun at all.
B: I bet! But no pain, no gain! Aaaand, you just mentioned an idiom, square away, let's check it out in today's words and idioms!

6. 美國習慣用語第 874 講 Words and Idioms 874 Square Away

下個月我要跟老公一起去加勒比海坐豪華遊輪,我現在是翹首以待,終於可以暫時逃離華盛頓的嚴寒,奔往陽光和海水了。讓人頭疼的是,出發前有太多的事情需要處理,包括完成手頭的項目,付好所有賬單,租車開到佛羅裏達去等等。這也讓我想起一個習慣用語可以跟大家分享,那就是:

M: Square away. Square is spelled s-q-u-a-r-e, and away; a-w-a-y. Square-away.

大家都知道,square 是正方形的意思。to square away 意思是處理安排妥當。比如說,He is trying to get all his legal troubles squared away as soon as possible. 他努力把所有法律上的麻煩搞定。就好象剛才提到的,在啟程前往佛羅裏達渡假之前,There is a lot I need to square away. 我有很多事情需要處理。

在下麵這個例子裏,一個怕冷的人想換個工作,搬到溫暖的地方去,可是走之前,有很多事情需要處理。

M: "My job interview went so well that I was offered the job in Arizona. I would love to move away from the long cold winter weather here in New York. But it's not that easy. To begin with, I'd have to get out of my contract with my company, and then sell my condo. It's only after I SQUARE those AWAY that I can focus on relocating."

這個人說:我的求職麵試非常成功,他們馬上讓我去亞利桑那上班。我也很想離開紐約這裏沒完沒了的寒冷冬天,但要走又沒那麽容易。首先,我必需解除跟公司的合同,然後還得把我現在的公寓賣掉。隻有等這些事情都處理妥當了,我才能專心準備搬家。

起碼,這個人聽起來好象沒有拖家帶口,來去一身輕,說搬就可以搬,否則,不說別的,就算隻有個女朋友,也不是那麽容易就能 square away 的。好的,讓我們再來聽聽上麵那段話。

M: "My job interview went so well that I was offered the job in Arizona. I would love to move away from the long cold winter weather here in New York. But it's not that easy. To begin with, I'd have to get out of my contract with my company, and then sell my condo. It's only after I SQUARE those AWAY that I can focus on relocating."

Square away 這個習慣用語常用於被動語態。在接下來的例子中,一位老先生提出了如下建議。我們一起聽:

M: "Take my advice. Don't wait until you're old to organize your will. What if something tragic happened, such as a fatal accident? Without a legal document to explain your wishes after you die, your loved ones could suffer unnecessarily. Make sure your plans are SQUARED AWAY."

他說:聽聽我的建議吧。不要等老了再去定自己的遺囑,萬一遇到車禍之類的意外事件呢?如果沒有法律文件說明你死後的願望,你的親人們就要受不必要的罪。所有最好是盡快把遺囑處理好。

雖然誰都不願意去想死的事,但老人這番話確實有道理。我一個同事的祖母去世時就沒有留下遺囑,結果一家人不得不走法律程度,跟法院打了很長時間的交道。好的,我們再來聽一下上麵那個例句。

M: "Take my advice. Don't wait until you're old to organize your will. What if something tragic happened, such as a fatal accident? Without a legal document to explain your wishes after you die, your loved ones could suffer unnecessarily. Make sure your plans are SQUARED AWAY."

我侄子那天開著新車來看我。他前一段時間一直怕申請不到貸款。如今看他開著新車,不用問就知道,他一定是拿到了貸款。He must have managed to square away the financing.

好的,這次美國習慣用語就到此結束了。

M: Until next time.

下次節目再見。

M: This has been Words and Idioms.

A: Have you gotten everything squared away for your trip back to Ohio?

B: Meh, there's no rush. I've still got a couple hours before I leave. I'll just pack right before I leave.

A: 唉呀! Mike, Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance!

B: Prior Planning Prevents Fun!

A: 好了同學們,這次節目時間就到這裏了。

B: Tune in next time for American English Mosaic!  

A: See you next time!

所有跟帖: 

very good. Thanks a lot -Janezhu- 給 Janezhu 發送悄悄話 (0 bytes) () 10/31/2013 postreply 06:12:07

Hi,Jane,謝留言。歡迎你常來發帖灌水。 -祤湫霖- 給 祤湫霖 發送悄悄話 祤湫霖 的博客首頁 (1095 bytes) () 10/31/2013 postreply 06:49:54

加跟帖:

• 標題:
  • 內容(可選項): [所見即所得|預覽模式] [HTML源代碼] [如何上傳圖片] [怎樣發視頻] [如何貼音樂]