流行美語:green thumb(音頻文字)

來源: 祤湫霖 2011-11-21 09:24:48 [] [博客] [舊帖] [給我悄悄話] 本文已被閱讀: 次 (4484 bytes)

地道美語:green thumb & go off the deep end(音頻文字)

今天李華穿著沾滿泥土的裙子來找Larry。Larry覺得奇怪,問李華為什麽今天裙子這麽髒。 李華會學到兩個常用語:green thumb和go off the deep end。

LL: Li Hua, why is there dirt all over your dress?

(Li Hua looks down at her dress)

LH: 咦? 怎麽這麽髒! 噢, 一定是今天早上幫媽媽整理花園,沾到泥土了都沒發現。

LL: You were helping out with the garden? I didn't know you could be helpful.

LH: 你可別這麽說,別看我照顧不好自己,但整理花園我倒是很在行呢!

LL: Really?! Are you saying you have a green thumb?

LH: 你真會開玩笑,雖然我很會整理花園,但還沒到手指變綠的地步。

LL: Haha. Don't take everything so literally, Li Hua. To have a green thumb means to have a special talent for gardening, the ability to make anything grow.

LH: 喔,是嗎...那你是在誇獎我嘍!真不好意思。

LL: You're welcome. Do you work in the garden often?

LH: 嗯,也還好。隻是最近媽媽想把花園改成跟英國皇室的花園一樣,所以每天早上都要我幫忙。

LL: Your mom wants to build a garden just like that of Britain's royal family? She must be going off the deep end!

LH: Deep? 這你就不懂了吧,園藝關鍵不是挖得多深,而是設計得有多好。

LL: I meant your mom is going way too far if she wants to rebuild the Royal Family's garden in her own backyard. That's just too much.

LH: 喔? 不過你剛不是說什麽go off... 什麽deep end...

LL: To go off the deep end?

LH: 對呀!就是那個,那是什麽意思呢?

LL: To go off the deep end is to go too far with something or to do something crazy.

LH: 所以你說my mom is going off the deep end是指我媽想得太美,不切實際啦!

LL: Yes. That's what I meant to say.

LH: 其實我也這樣覺得。No matter how many green thumbs she has, she can only do so much with a garden in our backyard.

LL: Right. So how is this going to work out?

LH: 其實我也不知道這花園能做得多成功,不過我媽是下定了決心要做一個皇室花園了。

LL: Wow, I definitely want to see how it's going to turn out.

LH: 不過Larry, go off the deep end說一個人做得過頭,你能再舉個例子嗎?

LL: For example, my mom really likes to buy clothes. But during last week's sale, she bought 10 pairs of shoes. She really went off the deep end there!

LH: 喔,我懂了,就好像Larry really goes off the deep end when it comes to using American slang. 你每次都用一些我聽不懂的英文俚語,太過了啦。

LL: Haha. That's a good sentence. But how will you ever learn American slang if I don't use it all the time? You should thank me for going off the deep end.

LH: 是啊,都是托你的福,我才知道自己有green thumb"綠拇指"呢,哈哈。

LL: So, what are you going to do when you get home today?

LH: 今天回家得好好讀書了,再過幾天就是期末考了。

LL: John and I are going to the Katy Perry concert tonight, do you want to come?

LH: Katy Perry的演唱會?! 是今天晚上嗎? 可是...

LL: It's okay. You should relax a bit before you go off the deep end with studying.

LH: 可是...

LL: I mean, finals are in five days. You have plenty of time. And I know you already study a lot everyday. There should be no problem.

LH: 可是今天晚上還要幫我媽裝她新買的噴泉...可能真的去不了。

LL: Your mom is putting a fountain in your backyard?! Wow, she really wants a replica of the Royal Family's garden huh...

LH: 是啊,真希望我媽didn't have to go off the deep end. 害我現在分身乏術!

LL: Well, you're missing out on your favorite singer's concert. Oh! I have to go, see you tomorrow Li Hua!

今天李華從 Larry 那兒學到兩個常用語。一個是 green thumb, 表示一個人“精於園藝”。另一個是 go off the deep end, 是說一個人做事太過分,到了瘋狂的地步。

請您先登陸,再發跟帖!

發現Adblock插件

如要繼續瀏覽
請支持本站 請務必在本站關閉Adblock

關閉Adblock後 請點擊

請參考如何關閉Adblock

安裝Adblock plus用戶請點擊瀏覽器圖標
選擇“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安裝Adblock用戶請點擊圖標
選擇“don't run on pages on this domain”